Recommendations: Amp + Headphone setup for Electronica
Nov 29, 2010 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tyagi

New Head-Fier
I am looking for recommendations for a desktop amp and headphone setup for mainly listening to electronica (drum & bass, trance/techno, some ambient and some electro-pop).

The source will either be a PC/Mac output or an iPod.

I currently have:
- Etymotic ER4P
- Sennheiser HD25-1
- Grado SR80

My favourite cans without doubt have been the Sennheiser HD25-1. I've had them for around 5 years and love the sound, durability, and noise insulation.

I like the detail and noise insulation on the Etymotics, but find them quite lacking in bass response (which I believe is normal and a common comment?). So if a solution can help bump this up it'd be appreciated.

I never really got on with the Grado phones, and wish I'd never bought them. I find them good for acoustic and classical, but rarely listen to this type of music.

I am currently looking at taking the next step with my headphone listening and getting a desktop amp. I'm currently looking at the Little Dot Mark III.

In terms of headphones, I'm considering the HD650 and others in this price region. As with all buying exercises, I could be pursuaded to go higher, but would prefer to go lower :)

All recommendations welcome: basically I'm looking for a desktop amp and well matched open or closed cans for listening to electronica.

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 8
FiiO E7/E9 Headphone Amplifier Bundle For $199.95

^ Amazing value for a DAC/Amp. It is very neutral and will stay faithful to the sound signature of whatever headphones you choose, and can drive even 600 ohm headphones like nothing. You can't get better for less; anything above the FiiO is just fine tuning to perfection for an exponential price increase.

For headphones I recommend the DT 770 or DT 990.

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Amazing value for a DAC/Amp. It is very neutral and will stay faithful to the sound signature of whatever headphones you choose, and can drive even 600 ohm headphones like nothing. You can't get better for less; anything above the FiiO is just fine tuning to perfection for an exponential price increase.

For headphones I recommend the DT 770 or DT 990.

Thanks for the DAC/Amp recommendation. I was looking at the NuForce (http://estore.nuforce.com/products/NuForce-Icon-uDAC2.html) uDAC2 for a DAC to go with the Little Dot Mk III. I can't take advantage of the special offer unfortunately, as I'm outside the US (Australia/NZ region).

I've not listened to any Beyerdynamic headphones, so will see if there's anywhere I can give these a listen.

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 8
FiiO is currently developing a line out kit for their E7. The E7 is portable and has an internal battery (80 hours iirc) and also doubles as a portable headphone amp. If you aren't in a rush; I'd go with the E7 as it is cheaper and just as good as the uDAC2 (unless you listen to 96kHz/24bit audio) and you have the upgrade option open for the E9 should you choose to keep going. Not to mention it accommodates your iPod in addition to your PC/Mac.
beyersmile.png

Dec 6, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Try some Ultrasones pro series first, before you get into the 650's.

I've spent a few days looking around and wondered whether you had any specific recommendations from the Ultrasone range?

I should also mention that I've got a Xin amp that I can use to amplify whichever headphones I end up buying.

Dec 6, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 8
I suggest headphones with an expansive sound stage - possibly open headphones. But I enjoyed electronica the most with the Ultrasone Proline 650 - replaced by the Pro 650. For a DAC / amp, I'd want to try the uDAC2 or HotAudio's DAC WOW. 

For some the HD650 might sound a bit too smooth / relaxed with this type of music - depending too on what it's amped with.

Quote:
I am looking for recommendations for a desktop amp and headphone setup for mainly listening to electronica (drum & bass, trance/techno, some ambient and some electro-pop).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back