Recommendation for IEM's Sub £80. Replacement for SE210's?
Oct 12, 2011 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Azaril000

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

New to the forum. I am a frequent "traveler" and always listen to my music when out and about, on my Samsung Galaxy S (with a app which has a quite good EQ system). I've been using my Shure SE210's for well over 2-3 years (bought them for around £80ish?), but the fact the extension cables I buy for it keeps going funny and the foam earbuds are becoming unusable and keeps coming off my ear now with the slights pull, no matter how hard I press, I've come to a bit of a crossroads.
I've either got to buy new tips for my SE210 or while I'm at it, look for a whole new IEM's after this many years to see if there's anything for around the same price point which blows the SE210's out the water for general sound quality.

I must admit, I'm no audiophile, but appreciate good music and listen to it a lot when I'm out, which is pretty frequently (going to and from work, gym, etc). I listen mainly to blues, rock/ballads (Gary Moore, Joe Bonamassa, Muse, Killers, AC/DC, Hendrix etc) to classical, to ambient to even on occasions dance and R&B. I'm not sure exactly sure what Im looking for in terms of bass, mids and highs. All I can say is I'm no bass head, but I do like good bass to feel the music but not overpower it, and nice clarity and detailed highs but not ear bleeding and very nice mids. I'm not sure if I require "neutral" or "coloring" IEM's, but I want something to enjoy my music to full extent and feel like I'm listening to the music there, not listening to them through earphones (if anyone get's what I mean? :-\). Good isolation and comfortable is also a plus. Bluntly I want the "best of the best" (if theres even such a thing for IEM's) for the price range.

On the other hand if there's nothing on the market that exceeds the SE210's by "that much" then should I just stick with them?

So far Ive been drawn to:
-Soundmagics PL30 or PL50
-Head-Direct RE0 or RE-Zero
-Brainwavs M2 or M3
- Klipsch Image S4
-Monster Turbine High Performance In-Ear Speakers (These are stretching the budget)
-Sennheiser IE 7, High-Fidelity Noise-Isolating Ear-Canal Phones
-NuForce NE-7M Headphones

These seem to all fit in the price range, although as much as I ask for, I cheekily want to keep the price as lowest as I can :D.

Any advice and experience and suggestions on IEM's listed above or I've missed will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 15
I own a pair of Brainwavz M2's and the sound and build quality is hard to beat.  If I remember right the RE0 has some build issues that perhaps others can comment on for us here.

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 15
You can also get shure se215's for around £80 now.  Lowest I've seen the senns is around a £100 or so and even then that wasn't new.

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 15
hmmm well give up on your best of the best idea, you travel lots so trust me you want the isolation your used to sa sacrifices will have to be made.

now the PL-50 is wonderfull and dirt cheap, better than your old 210's

the hf5 or hf3 if you want phone bits isolates great and is excellent

or the hisound audio crystals or the SE215.  both are great, rather bassy but still isolate great.

skip pretty much anything else with a dynamic driver as almost all cant isolate.

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #8 of 15
Philips SHE9850, Sony EX510, PFE012, Aurvana In-Ear3, Turbine Pearl, SE215 and RE0.

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 15
I've seen the Vsonic GR07 and Headdirect RE-ZERO and Panasonics RP-HJE900E-K's get a lot of praise for the sound quality, above all the other IEM's in the range. How are these for value and would they work around with the genre's I listen too? Would love to stretch my budget for the RE262, but can't seem to :frowning2:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back