Recommendation for a mid level headphone similar to the Sennheiser HD25II
Nov 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mariovalentim

New Head-Fier
My first post on this forum, let me just say that this place has an insane amount of information, it's simpy awesome.

So, I'm in the market for a IEM and I've read almost all reviews here. My main headphone for 8 years has been the Sennheiser HD25 and I absolutely adore everything about it (ergonomics, sound quality, user repairability).

I would like to find a IEM that would have a similar sound signature and I would like the IEM to have iPhone controls but that's a plus not a deciding factor. From my research I've selected the Etymotic HF3 and Sony XBA-2IP both have very different sound signatures but I don't know what comes closer to the HD25 if any.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 5
The HF3 are very detailed yet slightly cold sounding IEMs with great isolation but I think they are not closest match in term of sound signature, The JVC FXD80, Sony EX600, RE0 and RE262 are close enough with great clarity.

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
My first post on this forum, let me just say that this place has an insane amount of information, it's simpy awesome.

So, I'm in the market for a IEM and I've read almost all reviews here. My main headphone for 8 years has been the Sennheiser HD25 and I absolutely adore everything about it (ergonomics, sound quality, user repairability).

I would like to find a IEM that would have a similar sound signature and I would like the IEM to have iPhone controls but that's a plus not a deciding factor. From my research I've selected the Etymotic HF3 and Sony XBA-2IP both have very different sound signatures but I don't know what comes closer to the HD25 if any.

I own the HF5 and the HD25 - they do not sound very similar.   The HF5 has less bass than the HD25 (a LOT less).

I would try the TF10s (both have great highs and excellent mid-bass punch). 

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Quote:

I own the HF5 and the HD25 - they do not sound very similar.   The HF5 has less bass than the HD25 (a LOT less).

I would try the TF10s (both have great highs and excellent mid-bass punch). 

The TF10's would be a good choice if you can get a good fit with them. If you have a "bit" extra to spend, maybe look into the Heir Audio 3.Ai. Their sound signature is pretty similar also, but I find the fit and finish to be way better than the TF10 (but obviously you're paying for it.) The isolation of the 3.Ai's are better than the TF10's as well. If you want something with controls for the iPhone, you can buy adaptors that go in between the IEM's and iPhone. You could also try one of those FiiO E1 (?) amps with the iPhone controls built in. They do make the sound a bit warmer though, which I'm not sure whether that would be a plus or minus for you. 

edit: On a side note, if you do decide on the Ultimate Ears TF10's, I would wait a bit until after thanksgiving. Usually right after thanksgiving around black friday, Amazon.com will sell the TF10's for $99 shipped. 

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for all the input guys. I didn't ignore all the recomendations but I was waiting for the blackfriday deals to come around to make a decision.

I ended up buying the BRAINWAVZ B2 Dual BA for $109 which it sounds like an awesome deal for the IEM. I got a FiiO E02i amp for it but it was mainly to use IEMs and headphones that doesn't come with inline mic/controls for the iPhone.

My decision was based on this review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-265-iems-compared-dunu-i-3c-s-and-dn-19-tai-chi-added-11-21-12#post_6492056

Users who are viewing this thread

Back