Recommend me a setup?
Jun 15, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #17 of 23
Well he is using the same amp as you.... :wink:    Im sure that your mkIII will be fine for all of the above:

1. 350 mW @ 300/600 ohm
  2. 300 mW @ 120 oh
  3. 100 mW @ 32 ohm
  4. Variable Gain: 3,4,5, or 10x
  5. Recommended Load Impedance: 32 ohm~600 ohm

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #18 of 23
Interesting. You have a very good setup already, and IMO the headphones that you purchased are inferior to the DT880 in terms of clarity (it'd be an improvement in accentuated bass, though).

One thing that I haven't seen is what YOU want from a new set of cans. What are you looking for? What makes the DT880 or the K701 not good enough for you? At this point, improvements to your setup will be quite marginal IMO. You could spend the money on a better amp, or better DAC, but it'll only be slightly different. You could spend another grand on headphones (T1, HD800), but those gains would be subject to diminishing returns as well. Therefore, you should have a clear idea of what you want to improve and focus on that aspect.

If it's clarity you're seeking, the T1 and the HD800 are probably the only things that will be better than the K701 and the DT880. A DAC change is possible as well.

And, just wondering, but you probably already are - your source is all lossless, right?

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #20 of 23
Bass cans are always a risk with all that volume war'ed, heavily compressed rock/pop on your list. A shame, it's all pretty good music.

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #21 of 23
How are the Little Dot MKIII at powering the Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm? I just canceled my order and purchased the DT990's from a guy from the site. Also, what do the K702's sound like with the Little Dot MKIII? I heard the K702's were "overly analytical" and not very good. I might sell my DT880's for DT880 @ 600 ohm. Is that good?

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #22 of 23

Quote:
"overly analytical"

50% of headfiers say this and the other half say that. I was kinda worried about the K701/702 sounding analytical also, but I bought some used anyways. As far as I see it, it all depends on your ears. You may love something everyone else hates or vice versa. Just do what I'm doing. Get some used phones in the $200 range. If you like it.. then keep it. If not sell it for what you paid for them and buy another pair using that money. This will allow you to try many mid-fi headphones with little or no loss.
smile_phones.gif
Eventually you will find something that you can't put down.

PS. If you do this don't make a profit if someone sells you some headphones for a good deal and you resell them. Some people in the used section sell cheap to others on headfi to help the community out. We all benefit this way.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #23 of 23
I don't believe that the K701 are overly analytical or anything like that, a label like that is completely subjective, I simply find them bass light and aren't not punchy enough for me to really chillax with pop and rock. I actually found some good comments on the K701 wars thread, actually, regarding how they get you to focus on different things when it comes to acoustics... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back