Recommend me a setup?
Jun 14, 2010 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

fonebone10

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. 

My music tastes are heavily centered around Classic Rock and Hard Rock. I'll just let my iTunes artists list do the talking...

-Allman Brothers
-Avenged Sevenfold
-The Beatles
-Black Sabbath
-Blink-182
-Blue Oyster Cult
-Boston (<3 their debut album)
-Bruce Springsteen
-Coheed and Cambria
-Deep Purple
-Disturbed
-The Doors
-Eagles
-Europe
-Flobots
-Foo Fighters
-Gorillaz
-Guns n Roses
-Iron Maiden
-Jimi Hendrix
-Journey
-Judas Priest
-Led Zeppelin
-Lynyrd Skynyrd
-Megadeth
-Metallica
-Michael Jackson
-Neutral Milk Hotel
-Nirvana
-Notorious BIG
-Outlaws
-Ozzy Osbourne
-Pearl Jam
-Pink Floyd
-Queen
-Radiohead
-Red Hot Chili Peppers
-Rush
-Soundgarden
-The Strokes
-System of a Down
-Weezer
-White Stripes
-The Who

I also do listen to a lot of classical.

My current setup is as follows:
PC->Musiland 02->Little Dot MKIII->AKG K702/Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohm

So, what would you guys do in my position?

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 23
I'd probably grab a good Grado and keep either the 701 or DT880 for classical. How much are you looking to spend?

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 23
Looks like you already have a good setup. I am still pretty new here but I am sure by your music list at least one person will recommend a Grado. The model depends on your price range. I see you have the DT800 250 ohm you should check out the 600 ohm version. I use it daily and love it, even for rap even though it won't give you that really deep bass I get from my closed DT770/80 Pro.

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 23
My price range is ~350.

I forgot to mention this in my OP, but I also watch movies and game on my PC as well.

Games I play include:
Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty World at War
Call of Duty 2
Fallout 3
Counter Strike: Source
Team Fortress 2
Halo 2

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 23
What about the cans you have now are making you unhappy?  You already have two great headphones for gaming (with such a wide soundstage).

If you are looking for something more bassy, you have lots of options.  If you find them a bit too analytical, there are other directions you could go.  I definitely like some of my closed cans for classic rock.  For most of the music you've listened, what you need is punchy bass, not deep bass.

If you like the Beyer sound in general, you could explore the DT150/250 route, which will give you a bassier signature.

Grados will give you a punchier, more aggressive signature (though are not good for gaming at all).  They can be a bit harsh, though, and not all of those rock recordings from the '60s and '70s sound that good with detailed headphones.

The vintage Pioneers do something magical with classic rock (at least the Monitor 10 does).  They are definitely a step down from what you're using now in fidelity, but they are balanced yet aggressive, detailed yet forgiving.

Again, you could probably get better advice if tell us a bit more about what sound you're after.

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 23
Sennheiser HD600 or ditch the 250ohm beyers for the 600ohm variant.

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 23
Are you just looking for a new set of phones? Both the DT880 and K701 already mactch your needs for the most part so Im not sure what your not happy with.  The Audio Technica AD900 could be an alternative if your looking for another set of phones.  The Alessandro MS-2 could work as well (though it won't perform as well as the AD900 for movies, games and classical.)

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #12 of 23
Alrighty, after some pretty careful consideration, I've bought the following headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT990, 250 ohm
Beyerdynamic DT770, 32 ohm
Beyerdynamic DT990, 32 ohm

Headphones I already had:
Beyerdynamic DT880, 250 ohm
Sennheiser HD595
Audio-Technica AD700
AKG K702
Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Amp:
Little Dot MKIII
(Saving up for Neuhaus Laboratories T-2)

DAC:
Musiland 02

I r Beyerdynamic fanboy. :p

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #15 of 23

Quote:
Alrighty, after some pretty careful consideration, I've bought the following headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT990, 250 ohm
Beyerdynamic DT770, 32 ohm
Beyerdynamic DT990, 32 ohm

Amp:
Little Dot MKIII

LMAO. Sorry to laugh, but this is a huge mistake. MKIII= OTL, the higher the impedance, the easier the driving.  CANCEL YOUR ORDER NOW

and why are you getting the sloppy DT990/250 ohm when B&H has the amazing $229 600ohm blowout sale? so many mistakes bro. You should of consulted us first =\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back