Recommend me a Headphone, 150-250€
Jul 3, 2012 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Shazgol

New Head-Fier
Hey, so, long story short: I've been browsing through a lot of threads lately and I've found lots of headphones that might suit me but I can't decide which one to get. Sadly I can't listen to them personally because I live in a ****hole atm so I'll just have to go by recommendations.

Basically I've found the following available to me in the price range:

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250 ohm
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro/80 Ohms
Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT 250 80/250 ohm

AKG K-271 MKII
AKG K-601

AKG K-701
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Audio Technica ATH-M50S
Audio Technica ATH-A500
Sennheiser HD598

Shure SRH840

Shure SRH940
Sony MDR-XB1000

Ultrasone HFI-580
Ultrasone HFI-680
Ultrasone HFI-780
Ultrasone PRO-550
Ultrasone HFI-2400

Also Denon D2000 and Ultrasone PRO-750 slightly below 300€, I can possibly consider those as well if they're significantly better than any of the ones listed.

As you can see there are quite a few options.... I'll mostly need them for music listening/production and almost exclusively for electronic music (Psytrance, vocal trance, house etc), so a strong, tight bass and clear treble is needed, if anything the mids can be the "worst part" but ofc I want everything to be as good as possible. I can not have any bass light headphones though.
Comfort is also very important to me as I'm using glasses, so nothing that presses too hard against the head, or gets very hot after a while.
Closed or open doesn't matter much but I think for my needs a closed one might be preferred?
I would prefer if I could run them un-amped but it's not absolutely required, if an M-audio Fast Track Pro can handle them it's fine, if I _really_ have to I can buy a separate amp also.

Please help me choose :)

P.S. If you have any suggestions for a better headphone within the price range feel free to mention them ^^

Jul 3, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 3
I believe the beyerdynamic dt-880 600ohm is hands down the best monitoring can in your price range. Very revealing, great bass, excellent balance and slightly analytical treble. The mids are somewhat recessed. Also, since you're using them for producing it's best if you go for an analytical or balanced sound signature. A coloured headphone like the D2k will mess up your recording. Everything about them screams monitoring.

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks, I've been leaning towards a pair of beyerdynamics in general because I've heard they're very comfortable, haven't read much about the 880's though, so got a few questions:

1. Since they're semi open, how much sound leakage from the outside environment are we talking about here? Barely noticeable or completely unusable in a "noisy" environment?
2. Is there a big difference between the 250 and 600 ohm models? I can only seem to find the 250 model in any of the stores I was planning to buy from, although I can look closer when I get home from work.
3. Do they need an amp? I'm guessing yes since both 250 or 600 ohm is quite a large amount...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back