Recommend Headphones for travel?
Jul 1, 2013 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LoSt IN Hifi

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone

This is my first post and glad to finally join the forum after years of reading

I was wondering if some people who are more knowledgeable than me could help me in choosing a headphone
that I will use ideally at work and for travelling to work.

I need a closed back Headphones and I don't want those in the ear phones. I have a senheiser HD650 but unfortunately this is a little large for travelling with and anything I listen to is broadcasted to the person sitting next to me. I will be using these with my ipod or samgsung galaxy 4 for music, and I don't mind buying a travel amplifier as long as its not too big and can be charged or battery operated so it does not drain my phones battery.

My budget is not really defined but don't want anything more tha 1000 euros and ideally would prefer to spend less than that maybe in the 400-500 mark and no amplifier to carry with me would be great if possible.

I was looking at beyerdynamics t5p but these are a little expensive considering they don't produce good sound like the T1 and only 32ohms. Something seems to bug paying so much for something that does not produce top rated sound by reading the reviews. So is there something that produces say 90% of the sound, is stylish,portable and half the price or cheaper?

I am currently looking at these models, unfortunately there is no shops near me that I can go and listen to these.
Forgot to mention, I also require detachable cables.

beyerdynamics t5p

Ultrasone Edition 8 Ruthenium or Julia edition

audi-techhnica ATH-ES55

denon ah-d5000 * not really falling for this brand

Beyerdynamic DT-1350

Audio Technica ESW-10

if there is anything someone could recommend I would be very grateful

thank you all for looking

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 9
Did you consider the Sennheiser Amperior or HD25-1 II? These are very popular.

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 9
Or maybe even the new HD26 Pro.

These look extremely promising (and will cost less than EUR 300), but I doubt that anyone has heard them yet.

I used to like my HD25s, but I am growing increasingly frustrated by their lack of transparency and soundstage.

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 9
I realize you asked for an expensive headphone, however I am so thrilled with my JVC HAS400 headphone. Don't let the low price fool you. This headphone sounds better than some that are over 8x the price! Before rejecting it you should try it.

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
I realize you asked for an expensive headphone, however I am so thrilled with my JVC HAS400 headphone. Don't let the low price fool you. This headphone sounds better than some that are over 8x the price! Before rejecting it you should try it.

If by 8x price you mean brands like Beats then yes I agree with you, otherwise I call BS. I know, I had them, they're good for their price though.

@OP
Since you don't seem to mind over ear headphone I'd suggest Soundmagic HP100. Low impedance, good even without amp (though an amp do improve them), detachable cable, cheap enough that you don't have to worry if something happened to it while outside. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 9
Thank you all for the recommendations

I forgot to mention the type of music these will be for, generally it will be for hip hop,house,club music mostly and some classical music too. I have read the review on the senheiser HD25-1 II and HD 26 pro. But from the review of the
HD 25 i got the impression these are not good for base. For example my senheiser hd 650 are not great for base,
I am not a base head but i do like some base in there. I have read the senheiser momentum might be better in the base department.

I was considering the V moda Crossfade M -100 but they seem to be getting a little large and not really travel like but I might be tempted if its good or I cant find a replacement, also the Audio Technia ES10, are starting to get a little large. I would ideally prefer something I can wrap
around my neck when not using.

what about the beyerdynamics Dt 1350? is that more basy than the Senheiser Hd25/momentum?

Soundmagic HP100, these look very good but not really travel like.

I am getting more confused the more I look, lol

thanks all

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #7 of 9
Well you were considering T5P, D5000 and Ed8 so I thought you don't mind over ear headphone. Yes, the momentum would be better for hip hop than HD650.

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 9
ok after lots of thought i have reduced it down to

V moda Crossfade M -100  or beyerdynamics t5p

which would you think would be better for me?

some reviews of T5p say its not bassy and others say its great and as good s the T1.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back