recommend Audiophile Headphones comfortable with glasses/ virtual surround sound
Nov 5, 2012 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

merigoldsass

New Head-Fier
I am looking for audiophile grade headphones to be used with gaming, movie viewing, and music. I have a few questions that would help me pick a set. I will pay a lot if it is worth it. Budget is up to $500, preferably much less however I would spend closer to $500 if iy made a difference. I wouldn't mind two recommendations such as a $200-$300 recommnedatioin and a $300-$500 recommnedation. NOTE: I do like what I guess I would call a mid-range of bass, meaning I don't like bass that sounds like a car trunk full of sub woofers however more like what quality car speakers can produce on there own, if that makes any sense. I mostly listen to trance, electronic, techno type of music, however the headphones would mostly be used for gaming.

1) I want around the ear headphones that are comfortable over glasses and for someone with a big head. Any recommendations would be helpful.

2) I want to add something like a Antlion Modmic to the headphones for pc gaming chat, etc... or continue to use my current Desktop mic I am interested in these Sennheiser HD 598. They are "open" so does that mean a mic that is close by , like a modmic or desktop mic, will pick up the "open" sound that extends outward from the headphones?

3) Does a "open" design allow you to hear a little bit of the background/ outside sounds?

4) I have a HT Omega Claro Plus sound card which has Dolby Digital and Dolby headphone and other high end audio features (I think). I am not an audiophile however I noticed the sound card makes sound much better compared to my onboard motheboard audio, therefore I think they deserve a nice set of headphones. Would I need an exteranl amp to pull better/ noticable better sound or is my sound card good enough? I have an Astro Mixamp, would using that beasically be like plugging a sound card into a sound card, with the only benefit of adjusting voice chat volume on the dial? Would I lose quality plugging my Mixamp into my sound card?

5) I noticed the Razer Tiamat 7.1 has the 5 color pc surround sound 3.5mm plugs. What is better the virtual Dolby Headphone feature of sound cards and amps (which I have used and enjoyed) or the 5 color pc surround sound 3.5mm plugs?

Thanks for all your help.

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #2 of 6
Open headphones usually don't give much of a problem when wearing glasses. Closed headphones though, can't get a good seal unless you take them off. I'd get some sort of open headphones like hd600s or 598s. Your mic will pick up noise from the headphones but it may be bearable if you listen at reasonable levels unless you listen to music while you play games that require your headset which seems counter-intuitive.

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 6
SoundMAGIC HP100 is comfy so good with glasses as my mum tried them and she wears glasses, also they have a good soundstage for gaming

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Open headphones usually don't give much of a problem when wearing glasses. Closed headphones though, can't get a good seal unless you take them off. I'd get some sort of open headphones like hd600s or 598s. Your mic will pick up noise from the headphones but it may be bearable if you listen at reasonable levels unless you listen to music while you play games that require your headset which seems counter-intuitive.

thanks you i ordered the 598s, I don't listen to sound too loud so hopefully my mic does not pic up the leaked headphone noise. i do not listen to separate music while playing games, as games have there own excellent music built in.   i do like the open design as I think it will allow me to hear other outside noises (this way I can be more alert to my environment, example if someone rings my doorbell I will probably hear it). Am I correct?

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
thanks you i ordered the 598s, I don't listen to sound too loud so hopefully my mic does not pic up the leaked headphone noise. i do not listen to separate music while playing games, as games have there own excellent music built in.   i do like the open design as I think it will allow me to hear other outside noises (this way I can be more alert to my environment, example if someone rings my doorbell I will probably hear it). Am I correct?

Heya,

For your genres, I would not have chosen the HD598's.

I would have suggested to you:

Ultrasone PRO 2900
Sennheiser HD650
Beyer Dynamic DT880
Denon D5000
Hifiman HE-400

Very best,

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Heya,

For your genres, I would not have chosen the HD598's.

I would have suggested to you:

Ultrasone PRO 2900
Sennheiser HD650
Beyer Dynamic DT880
Denon D5000
Hifiman HE-400

Very best,

thank you. Few more questions.

If I was to buy the Beyer Dynamic DT880 which ohm version should I get? Sorry I don't know much about ohms

I only own an Astro Mixamp, could you recommend a better amp that I may benefit from? 

Also here is the video card I have http://www.htomega.com/claroplus.html and I will be using this with the headphones until I get (maybe) an amp.

The HD 598s that I received had a little scratch on them and I will probably be returning them. After about half an hour I did not like the earpads, if I bought the Senn HD650 would I probably have the same experience? I ask because the ear pieces looks similar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back