Reccommendation for my first full size Headphones
Jul 7, 2012 at 6:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Chawanwit

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I own a Shure Se210 and a Audio Technica ATH-EM9R which I use while I am out of home. At home use my marantz amp and mordaunt short speaker this are not so expensive( cant remember the price) to listen to music. However the speaker broke down.
frown.gif

I want to know that if I am going to buy a full size headphones to replace those speakers, what should i get? My budget is not more than $400 and preferably around $200. However I am willing to pay more if I get a lot better sound quality or bang for buck. I would also like the full size headphones to be better than the two se210 and the em9r. Thanks for any recommenmdation in advance. 
etysmile.gif

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for your recommendation,

I live in Thailand and the AKG701 sells for exactly 440 US dollars. Is this a good price or should I find a better price for these headphones?

Jul 7, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #4 of 9
It depends on your preferred sound signature. If you like an open huge sound stage, wonderfully layered natural sound, then consider the he400. It can't be beat for the money if this is the sound signature that you're looking for IMO.

If you prefer a closed hp with more bass, decent mids, comfier, more lightweight then consider the d2k/d5k if you can still find them as they are d/c.

gL!!

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 9
You can add your location to your community profile.

If open headphones are ok, the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250-Ohm.
I would assume a Marantz (amplifier or receiver?) would be able to drive 250-Ohm headphones.

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 9
Its a mrantz integrated amplifier PM4200. So you mean that the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250-Ohm version will sound better than the ordinary version without the 250-Ohm if used with this amplifier?

Jul 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Its a Marantz integrated amplifier PM4200. So you mean that the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250-Ohm version will sound better than the ordinary version without the 250-Ohm if used with this amplifier?

"ordinary version"?

Will the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-ohm sound better then the AKG Q701s?
If that's the question, the headphones are difference.
The DT990 Pro 250-Ohm are full bass, full treble, nice sound stage, decent and clear vocals.
The Q701 is not a bassy headphone, I'm guessing more like decent bass and the mid range, sound stage, vocals on the Q701 would be better.
But I'm making my best "guess".

The Q701s are only 62-ohm, but need decent power to sound their best.

I've heard that Marantz usually has good support for headphones, but I know nothing about your Marantz amp.
Try the websites AVSforum & AVforum, people on those sites would have much better knowledge on you Marantz and it's abilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back