Recable for UE triple fi.10?
Oct 3, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #32 of 232
When I was walking home today, I figured out the microphonics was coming from the top part of the cable(above the Y splitter) rubbing against my clothes. The lower end isn't producing any at all. Even though I can solve it by clamping the y splitter against my clothes, but it's quite troublesome . Unless I am carrying a Backpack, so I can clamp it against the straps.

I took an adventurous move later at home, even Ken offered to do it for me, I am just too lazy to send it back
wink.gif
After carefull prying, I stripped off the clear sleeving from the Y splitter up to the lower end of the memory wires. This makes the cable looks thinner of course. But most importantly, the microphonics are vastly gone!

I have emailed the feedback to Ken, hopefully they will take my advice and further improve it. If you are ordering from them, take my word,[size=small] it is absolutely necessary should you demand not to sleeve the upper part of your cable[/size]
icon10.gif

Beside this, this is an absolute excellent sounding cable, I am very well enjoying mine and can't live without it atm!!
beerchug.gif
Good work Ken!
I think I will order another if they ever come up with a black version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosgis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review AudioJUNK! It's going to be tough waiting for the APureSound cable after reading your impressions.

But the microphonics issue does not sound good.

I was looking forward to it too, but I doubt aps will come up with anything less than $150 or even $200
ph34r.gif
, that would be a big dent to my pocket to be honest. I wouldn't really want to pay for a cable tat cost nearly 2/3 of my IEM!! I was tempted to get the ES2 cable too, but certainly can't see the necessity anymore now
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that cable a solid core one? It does look like so.

After a closer inspection, it's stranded wire.

Oct 4, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #36 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long do orders from null-audio take?

mine took 2 weeks, and 2 day shipping as I stay in SG too
icon10.gif

Btw ken got back saying he is revising his design.
smily_headphones1.gif
guess it's rite to listen to customers

Oct 4, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #37 of 232
Another strong recommendation for the Westone cable with shortened pins. I can only compare it to the original Triple-Fi cable. The improvement is from a 2 out of 10 for cable desireability to a 9. (I only deduct 1 bacause the white Westone cable doesn't stay perfectly white.)

The UE cable was stiff and bent like an accordian. Not only did it bounce around when I walked but I was never comfortable putting my PAD on a table while listening. The accordioned cable was taut and begging to catch on something and cause problems. With the Westone cable, it's soft and supple like silk. It just hangs there while walking - perfectly comfortable. On a table, it's already a bit longer than the UE cable but since it hangs slack, it's pretty well twice the length. No concerns kicking back and listening. (Got mine from Jabben).

Edit: I have had zero issues with microphonics but admittedly I don't run with my Triple=Fi's... It is not obvious to me that there was any change in SQ - but once I switched I never switched back so A/B'ing was limited.

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #38 of 232
oooooh crap! i ordered a pair from ken and i was supposed to send them back like four weeks ago but i forget all about it until now! thanks for the reminder
smily_headphones1.gif

anyways yes, the ue stock cables are very crappy and the cables from null audio sounded great and looked even better (my dirty ugly clear stock ue cables are gross).

I would definitely suggest the null audio although it is fairly new and there are a lot of small issues.

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #39 of 232
I recieved the null-audio silver cable this week. I am about 90% happy with it after listening for 3 days. I think it adds alot soundwise...highs seem a little crisper, bass a little better/tighter and soundstage seems much bigger. Also it is a sweet looking cable especially with the switchcraft angle plug. My only complaint would be how stiff the cable is. I find it impossible to bend the wires near the earpieces for the flip flop mod, I can ..just find it too uncomfortable after a little while.. so I've been using them normal. I wear my ipod on my belt and the wire is so stiff...it just doesn't relax like the stock cable if you sit down etc. I am not regretting the purchase by any stretch..just thinking of stripping the outer wire as a few other people have stated. (although I am nervous of cutting too deep) Seems like it would be perfect like the westone cable if the outer plastic was not there. Also...seems like the pins should be a little shorter as they are seen a little where the cable meets the phones.

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #40 of 232
I think you can use a hairdryer to heat the earloop up, then you can bend and hold it and apply the flip mod. It is what I am told, nv exercised it though.

yeah, be careful when you cut. it took me 20mins to completely strip it off.

Actually I found the cable is flexible enough for me as I keep my rig inside my bag
L3000.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #41 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioJUNK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw the price kicked up by S$20
lol, the builder must have been flooded with orders...
Headphone/IEM Cable

Luckily I grabbed one before that and loving it.
Mine is slightly different from the one listed though, I got a pair of plastic plugs molded into a rectangular shape instead of round.... Extra clear sleeving also, I guess it increased the stiffness but nevertheless still softer than my stock TF10 cable.

I got one as well at the old price. It's taking a while to come though. Hope it arrives soon.

Oct 8, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #42 of 232
Mine is on the way should be arriving any day now
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #44 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question. Started on another thread but no one replied
ph34r.gif
I kept breaking my IEMs because I glue it to the connector, and when I don't, they keep falling off. Any suggestion??

Thread crapping?

You use glue? How many IEMs have you broken? Inquiring minds want to know.

The Westone ES connector on the Triple-Fi is such a tight fit that it is very difficult to remove the cable. It certainly isn't falling off.

Have you shortened the pins so that the connector fully fits in? That is mostly for cosmetics but it might help. (Buying an already modded cable is recommended. Might cost you $50 or even less..)

(Thread crapping?)

Oct 9, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #45 of 232
i couldnt take these triple.fi cables anymore - i ordered the customs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back