Really bass heavy headphones
Jun 8, 2014 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

hummel

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, 

Last year I bought the Beats pro but returned them because of all the bad things people said about them.. And I actually regret that decision. I bought the V moda m100 instead, but I still miss the beats pro for the incredible bass they have. I mainly listen to house music and very bass heavy songs.
Besides the beats pro, are there other brands that can give me that rumbling bass I like so much?

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 11
Search the Extreme bass headphones thread and all your needs will be met.

JVC SZ-2000 is the reigning bass king (not necessarily the best sounding Bassy phone.......there is a diff)
Ultrasone Pro900
Denon D600
Denon D2000,5000, 7000 are all better than the M-100 in my experience
M-Audio Q40 as well

That list should get you started on your quest.

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 11
  Hi, 

Last year I bought the Beats pro but returned them because of all the bad things people said about them.. And I actually regret that decision. I bought the V moda m100 instead, but I still miss the beats pro for the incredible bass they have. I mainly listen to house music and very bass heavy songs.
Besides the beats pro, are there other brands that can give me that rumbling bass I like so much?

Like this?

Extreme bass thread.
Link In my sig.

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm reading reviews of the ultrasone 900. A lot of people say they have excellent bass for the gerne i want. 
Does someone perhaps have the beats pro and the ultrasone 900 to compare? How well does the ultrasone play without an amp? Is the bass on the ultrasone better than the beats pro?

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 11
I listened to the ultrasone pro 900 for over a year and it's sitting out of commission thanks to the mad dogs ( soon to be pro) so my memory needs a refresh. I've only listened to them out of an iPhone and a Fiio e12. Honestly, you need an amp, or else the extension, quantity, and quality of the bass is underwhelming without.

I couldn't stand the sibilance, especially female vocals, and the fact that it wasn't a great all arounder.

However, the bass is great and very fun to listen to

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 11
Hi, 

I'm reading reviews of the ultrasone 900. A lot of people say they have excellent bass for the gerne i want.
Does someone perhaps have the beats pro and the ultrasone 900 to compare? How well does the ultrasone play without an amp? Is the bass on the ultrasone better than the beats pro?

I don't own or have ever heard the ULTRASONE 900, so can't answer your question directly - maybe you could try to find a store in your area that you could audition a pair for your own direct experience, as the approach you inform that you followed before (listening to others opinions) led you to regret parting with a set of cans you now miss?

Here's a good place to check "bassy" cans of note:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 11
They hardly get any discussion but the Sony - MDR-X10 & MDR-X05 are some pretty heavy hitters.  I have the X05 and it's my bass heavy pair for days I want to rattle my brain a bit.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/627012/new-sony-mdr-x10-mdr-x05/15

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 11
@hummel, were you satisfied with and pleased by the Beats Pro bass, and just wish you had not let them go and rendered yourself now (sorry)... Bassless?

I have the Beats Pro... it is my go-to headphone for anything that is mainly synthetic or electronic as opposed to natural and acoustic (e.g., hip hop vs. classical).

I am VERY pleased with it.  I JUST let go a NAD VISO hp50, recognized in the community as a "better" headphone, selling for $100 less, and having a frequency response plot that is flat in bass all the way down to 15 Hz or so (the Beats Pro has dropped off by about 7 dB at 15 Hz).  But it was boring to me.  I did not use it for my bass-heavy music... I'd always go to the Beats, and for my "natural" acoustic music, I'd go to one of my open headphones such as Grado PS500 or HiFiMAN HE-500 (which itself has very satisfying bass AND great treble... only one of those that I own that does!).(Both Beats Pro and NAD VISO hp50 are closed headphones).

So again, I'm curious... should you be trying to get another Beats Pro, or did it not satisfy you?

I'm also curious as to how you'd compare the V-MODA M-100 to the Beats Pro, as I am considering the purchase of it (I am suspecting and hoping it is better in such qualities as presence and transparency than the Beats Pro while still being strong in the bass, though now with the HE-500s, I have one headphone that does both well).

Again, thanks!

Thanks!

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 11
  (I am suspecting and hoping it is better in such qualities as presence and transparency than the Beats Pro while still being strong in the bass, though now with the HE-500s, I have one headphone that does both well).

It's not. I thought they sounded more congested.

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 11
at some point i had the beats pro and the v moda m100 at the same time. I did some real comparison test in bass heavy songs, and the beats beat the V moda by a long shot. When i hook them up to my fiio e17 and crank the bass up to +8 you can get the same amount of bass out of the v moda at a loud volume. But that is my problem now. I always have to listen to my music really loud to get that bass that i want.
What the beats lack a little as far as i can remember is that when you crank up the volume, really high sounds can hurt your ears..you can hear it 'hissing' of you know what i mean. Out of my phone the beats sounded like i was in a disco. My v moda also get loud, but not the amound the beats would give me. Owning the v moda and the beats at the same time is a little waste tho because they have kinda the same sound signature

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #11 of 11
after some reading i came up with 3 headphones
the ultrasone pro900
beats pro 
jvc sz2000

how do you people compare headphones when you can't find them in store? Do you order them online and send them back? Because 2 of the 3 models aren't in store here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back