Real or not? Shure SE535's. eBay purchase.
Sep 10, 2010 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

OllyNewport

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi. I posted about a week ago asking which headphones I should go for. I chose the Shure SE535's and picked them up for £261 w/shipping, that's just under $400. 

They were shipped out on the 8th from New York, and I received them today (two days shipping is fantastic!). 

Because this is eBay I can never be sure if what I've just bought is the genuine article, so I'm leaving it up to people of Head-Fi to give me some peace of mind. They sound okay to begin with, I think I need to give them a little bit more time than three songs though.  (I keep getting interrupted by people wanting to talk to me! Blast!)

eBay auction: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330469725751

Photos:

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 22
Well if they sound crap then they are real.

LOL only joking.

Mine didn't have the metallic box so maybe the packaging is different from US and UK.
I'm pretty sure they are real, I don't know of any fakes.

You obviously dodged VAT and customs and got them at a good price, however, the warranty may not be valid.
I bought E500 from ebay and Shure would not replace them when the cables cracked because it was not an authorised dealer.

Enjoy!

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 22
They are real. It would be really hard to create a fake of the 535s considering how much detail went into the housing design and the swivel connector.
Looks exactly like what I got.

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #4 of 22
After spending some time with them I think they are the real deal. You mention that it would be very hard for fakers to pull this off, but remember the Sennheiser IE8s? They were faked to death. 

Anyway, better to be safe than sorry.

Other than the fit of the Shure's hurting after a few minutes, and no arrangement of tips being able to rectify this (they rub into the back parts of my ears), they sound great. I'm trying to do some comparisons between the SE115's that I previously owned to hear the differences today.

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 22
They are real. I know the ebay dealer you bought them from. They are definitely real. You should be okay with these, but if you want more security buy yourself and online warranty (you'll probably be offered one in your email). But I bought my SE530s from ebay and 4 years later they are still playing with no problem for a friend of mine I gave them to.  I never bought a warranty for the 530, and I trust the 535 enough not to buy one, but that's up to you. The only think that happened was the cable started splitting on the 530, which has been a major problem for most 530 models. You shouldn't have this issue at all with the 535. Happy listening!!

Sep 11, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 22
Hmm, well after a few days I've noticed that they seem to have an issue (mostly with the left ear) that sounds like they're slightly loose in the connection between the detachable cables. It makes a slight crunching noise (like stepping on gravel) I'm not really sure what the appropriate term is. 

Not sure if this is a major issue as it doesn't really happen that much, however it might pose an issue if the cables are faulty. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
After spending some time with them I think they are the real deal. You mention that it would be very hard for fakers to pull this off, but remember the Sennheiser IE8s? They were faked to death. 

Anyway, better to be safe than sorry.

Other than the fit of the Shure's hurting after a few minutes, and no arrangement of tips being able to rectify this (they rub into the back parts of my ears), they sound great. I'm trying to do some comparisons between the SE115's that I previously owned to hear the differences today.

Hey Ollynewport .
I am online looking for smt and by chance I see your pics here.

I have also a Se535 (clear type as yours) but differs in packing.

So we let's view 

Please note the date of manufacturing 2010/07/29 is close to yours (2010/07/07) 

Why in one week there are two kind of packing ? Is it not from same factory ? How many factories Shure buillt in China ........

Is there any FAKE on market ????????????????? 

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #9 of 22
I believe these are packaging meant for different markets.
I am pretty sure as i have seen the packaging based on OllyNewport's photos.
So yea like what the rest have said, yours should be real.
@ TYATYA your 535s are based on packaging designated for the Asia market. Mine is exactly the same as yours. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #10 of 22
any one

pls confirm for me if my se535 above is unreal. Mc.founder is an arthorize dealer of shure in Hongkong , and, I have a stamp of it on the box.

But the EAN code of se535-cl extractly is as shown on box of Ollynewreport , not as mine (which has three ending numbers not same )

@kelv : what is your ean code of your earphone?

I wonder has fake one of se535

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #11 of 22
There is no fake SE535 out there (in fact, there is no fake SE530 as well). You both receive the real stuff, just different in package. Some manufacturers like to use different package in different region in order to control parallel import.

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 22
SE535 clear type is discoloring quite fast. 

After 5 month of using, my earpieces are still clear as img in the post above (Mar.2011) but its wire like a fishing line after long time no use

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 22
You may find it fairly unpleasant to read, but in November of last year (2010) I left my Shure SE535's on a bus... then, weeks later I left my back-up pair of Shure SE115's - somewhere, no idea for those. 

As you can imagine you might be thinking that I'm mad for even considering to buy any more expensive high-end headphones, however I've deliberated and deliberated, and finally I've decided I'll buy some more Shure SE353's. The first thing I noticed when browsing eBay, Amazon and Google Shopping is not only am I getting cheaper packaging, but the price has risen nearly £30. 

In 2010 I bought my Shure's for just over £260, now I'd be looking at £285-£295.

I came back here after realising this new 'Asian Market' packaging existed. I can confirm it's the kind of packaging you'll see in authorised dealers shops - I found this out when I popped into Micro Anvika (an authorised Shure dealer) and saw the new packaging. I much prefer my metal box, and I still have it sitting in my cupboard. 

So yes, to confirm those headphones will likely be the real deal. It seems less and less likely for fakes to even penetrate the market - especially if you're paying over £260+ for the headphones.

Remember: If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
Well if they sound crap then they are real.

LOL only joking.

Mine didn't have the metallic box so maybe the packaging is different from US and UK.
I'm pretty sure they are real, I don't know of any fakes.

You obviously dodged VAT and customs and got them at a good price, however, the warranty may not be valid.
I bought E500 from ebay and Shure would not replace them when the cables cracked because it was not an authorised dealer.

Enjoy!

HAHAH :wink:
Well yours mate are the US versions, nothing wrong with them.
I had completely different packaging, but mine is EU packaging.

The IEM's look real, and I don't think you can buy fake se535's - i might be wrong though

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #15 of 22
Brand new pair of Shure SE535's arrived today, ordered directly from Amazon.co.uk for £290. I'm guessing when I ordered them from the US the last time it was basically taking the £50 VAT off the item - item also came in the newer and less nice packaging - I'll stick everything in the metal box I've still got in the cupboard methinks! 

/* Note to self, do not loose on buses, trains, planes, or anywhere - that is all */

Playing the Okonokos version of Dondante (around 11 mins) by My Morning Jacket is quite possibly the best first song I've used to introduce a 'new' pair of headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back