Real neutral portable amp?
Jun 26, 2007 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

dr.morton

500+ Head-Fier
I got my MisterX XP amp today.
Honestly I am disappointed. It is not a bad amp but shows no good synergies with my iMod and my UE-10 pros.
It is a bit better them my Pengamp but not much.
While the Pengamp has too much bass IMO and a very narrow soundstage, the XP lacks transparacy. It is very warm and cozy sounding with a serious punch, but I like it more analytical.
I already ordered an AE-2 but since it comes with the same Opamp as the XP, I am starting to get worried.
Any suggestions?
I am fortunate to be able to listen to my home setup with my wonderful AMT speakers at least half the day, so maybe I am spoiled a bit. Maybe I am asking too much when it comes to portable amps?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 54
I had a LaRocco once.
It is a wonderful amp but not very portable IMO. And I do not need a headphone amp for my home. I only use headphones "on the road".
I also disliked the inputs at the back.

I never had the pleasure of listening to a Hornet. Sadly I am the only guy with a headphone amp in my region. In Germany using a headphoneamp is still widely unknown. So I have to order everything what I am interested in.
mad.gif

I always played with the idea of a getting a RSA amp but would have went with a Tomahawk in the first place.

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 54
Usually they don't.
But with the iMod an amp is a must have. And they do make a difference.
But of course a full size can which does not work without an amp directly out of a DAP does benefit more.

Jun 26, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 54
The Porta Corda MK III is very uncolored and excellent sounding with my Imod and Tripe-Fi 10s so it may sound good with your gear also. (And it is selling for an excellent price from Dr. Meier right now). Mine was $160 US, check the website for the Euro price.

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 54
You're in Germany - the PCIII is a great choice - VERY neutral.

Jun 27, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.morton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And they do make a difference.

Agreed. Every portable amp I've tried made a difference to the SQ of my UM2s.

In terms of neutrality I think you must also consider what you're feeding the amp and what the amp is driving. It's the synergy you'll be looking for to achieve best neutrality for your ears.
etysmile.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 54
Although I haven't heard the aforementioned Porta Corda it may be worth looking into, as it's made in Germany!

Don't worry about the AD8397 in the HeadAmp AE-2, I certainly did before I got mine but its sound signature is remarkably close to the very transparent and higher-end GS-1. It's like a micro GS-1.

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 54
Thanks for all the replies.
I would have went for a Porta Corda a long time ago if it wasn't so damn ugly.
I am such a sucker for beautiful cases!
But the price is hard to beat.

Jun 27, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #12 of 54
Where are you in germany? Maybe you should ask in the germany hifi-forum in the headphone-section. I know some people over here have RSA Amps (me included).
And if you want neutral in a fine case have a look at the AE-2 and the new Corda Move.

Jun 27, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Where are you in germany? Maybe you should ask in the germany hifi-forum in the headphone-section. I know some people over here have RSA Amps (me included).

Husum, am Popickel Deutschlands (zumindest wenn es um tragbare Verstärker geht)!
rolleyes.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

And if you want neutral in a fine case have a look at the AE-2

The AE-2 is already on my list. I am just waiting for the right case.

If it is a neutral amp, then everything is fine. But as I said earlier, it uses the same Opamp as the XP and I find the later far from neutral. Thats why I started to worry.

Jun 27, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I haven't heard the aforementioned Porta Corda it may be worth looking into, as it's made in Germany!

Don't worry about the AD8397 in the HeadAmp AE-2, I certainly did before I got mine but its sound signature is remarkably close to the very transparent and higher-end GS-1. It's like a micro GS-1.

Asr

I loved the sound of your AE-2. It was my favorite of the three you sent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back