Real neutral portable amp?
Jun 27, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #16 of 54
What opamp is in that XP? I think that might be your problem. If it's got the AD8397, that explains why you feel that it is untransparent. The correct opamp to use in that amp in this case would be the LM6172, which will give you the neutral, transparent, uncolored sound you are looking for.

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the UE-10's really benefit from an amp? I haven't heard many IEMs that do.

crossroad mylar one's, day and night difference (no i'm not imagining things).

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #18 of 54
I haven't compared it to any other portable amps, just my home amps, but the SuperMacroIV kind of turned me on to neutrality / transparency.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #19 of 54
Wow...I think you're the 1st person to be disappointed with the XP!!!

Umm...neutral amp....the PC3 is neutral, and so is the GoVibe.

I dunno what to tell you...with UM2's, the sound is very warm, but it punches like mad...but then again, that's what I like.

The RS amps are VERY colored. VERY similar to the XP sound, with it being a little more transparent. There is SLIGHTLY more bass and impact than the XP, but it doesn't extend into either region as far. I do love the RS amps for that reason, because I love fun sounding amps, not analytical.

I would have to say, PC3 is your best bet, cause it's more of a volume attenuator with a SLIGHT sound signature, but it is the more neutral than most every amp I've listened to...

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is really a "transparent" amplifier?
And do you really believe a "transparent" amplifier would give the greatest sound to a headphone, or a set of IEM's?
Most of the answers you get are highly subjective, and so is mine, but the only amplifiers making my UE10's pleasing to listen to is the Ray Samuels Emmeline SR-71 and the LaRocco PRII.
The Xin SuperMacro, all the 3 I have had & all with opa627 does not add value to the UE10, neither did the PA2v2.
The Porta Corda may, depending on the source, but I have only had the PCII, not the III.

That's the audiophile goal... "Straight wire with gain!"... no more no less..
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

What is really a "transparent" amplifier?
And do you really believe a "transparent" amplifier would give the greatest sound to a headphone, or a set of IEM's?
Most of the answers you get are highly subjective,

Quote:

Wow...I think you're the 1st person to be disappointed with the XP!!!

Of course my opinion is purely subjective.
I am no authority when it comes to recording, producing or mastering a recording. I am also no expert when it comes to high end gear.
So maybe I am dead wrong in my findings, who knows.
Maybe both amps offer are close to the sonic "truth". But I am not satisfied with what I hear and try to find out what might suit my taste best.

Pengamp: Extended highs but too much bass. Recordings with a lot of natural bass are always on the edge of distortion. Vocals are pushed into the background. Soundstage is very small and limited.

XP: Punchier bass then the Pengamp. Bass is more focused but also close to distortion. Mids are more prominent, vocals sound more natural. But highs seem to be pushed back. Cymbals and high notes are missing the sparkle.

I get the impression that both amps try to compensate for the deficiencies of most DAPs or MP3s in general.

With both amps my listening time is limited. Something that does not happen with my home setup. I am also missing the "live" feeling I get in my listening room.

Maybe I am asking to much. Maybe the problem lies either with the iMod (which does a nice job connected to my Shanling tube amp) or with the UEs. But with a portable close to 2000 $ I have certain expectations.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #23 of 54
I've been looking for that live sound since I've been on Head-fi...see my sig, lol.

The closest I've come to it is a DT770 Pro (250phm) matched to a Hornet coming out of my Indigo DJ. You get really sparkly highs, massive nightclub bass, and the mids are there, just slightly recessed. But the vocals still sound natural. It's the closest you're gonna get to live sound in a "portable".

I sold that rig to get something more portable, and I needed money. I also wanted to give IEMs a shot, so hence the reason I sold EVERYTHING. I didn't think I'de need an amp with teh uber sensitive UM2's, but I found the ones that impact them the most are the RS amps and the XP.

You're right, the XP is a little warmer than most amps, coupled with UM2's, it sounds almost too warm.....almost to the point of sounding veiled. But the fullness is what you're getting with the XP. It IMO, sound much more tubey than the Millet TTVJ....

The RS amps are transparent, but also sound grainy in comparison to most everything IMO so it's somewhat of a trade off. You forget about the grain after awhile, but it does smack you in the face as soon as your turn it on, especially after hearing other amps. They are sparkly, but if you think the XP amp sounds bloated, than the RS amps will sound WAAAAAAY bloated on the heavy bass recorded albums. I absolutely love the sound of the RS amps, because they sound so aggressive, but I feel the value is only worth while on those when bought used. Not only because of the cheaper price, but because all the work of reaping the benefits of burn-in is already done for you...which absolutely SUCKS doingon all the RS amps.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #24 of 54
Nate,
thanks for the all the infos (and I mean it).
So we can only hope that one of the forthcoming amps will close the gap: AE-2, Xin Reference or the Diablo (if it should ever see thelight of day).

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #25 of 54
I haven't heard the XIN amps, but they're supposed to be UBER transparent...I need to get ahold of one...

But as I've learned...I'm never buying blindly when it's at that high a pricepoint....

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

But as I've learned...I'm never buying blindly when it's at that high a pricepoint....

Sadly I have no choice...

Before I forget to mention it: The so believed "tube sound" is a myth IMO.
My tube amp is much more close to any ss amp then to the XP. The same goes with a lot of tube amps I have heard.

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.morton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly I have no choice...

Before I forget to mention it: The so believed "tube sound" is a myth IMO.
My tube amp is much more close to any ss amp then to the XP. The same goes with a lot of tube amps I have heard.

Seriously?
I find the only tube amp i've listened to (my beloved MAD Ear+ Purist HD2) a lot different from the SS amps i've listened ...

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

Seriously?

Yes!

But I did not say "same" but close(r). But to be honest I have only listened to tube amps which were intended or speakers, not headphones.

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #29 of 54
Although I sent a private message to Dr. Morton on this, a really nice transparent portable amp is the Mseed Spirit. Really incredible for the money ($150). I agree with the good doctor's opinion on the XP amp. It is too warm and not transparent enough for me, thus I sold it.

I am still planning to try out Xin's Reference amp, but today as I am listening to my Ety ER4s, Imod, and Mseed Spirit, I wonder if I can get significantly better sound without having to spend $350-400. I really don't want to pay that much for a portable and the Mseed is really, really good.

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry about the AD8397 in the HeadAmp AE-2, I certainly did before I got mine but its sound signature is remarkably close to the very transparent and higher-end GS-1. It's like a micro GS-1.

Are you saying the AE-2 is closer to a micro GS-1 than it is to a micro Gilmore Lite with DPS (which I know you also have)? If so, do you mean that mainly in terms of tonality? Or are you speaking more in terms of overall quality?*

[size=xx-small]...in which case that would seem to imply that you find the AE-2 to come between the GLite/DPS and GS-1 in terms of quality.
eek.gif
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back