Real neutral portable amp?
Jun 29, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you saying the AE-2 is closer to a micro GS-1 than it is to a micro Gilmore Lite with DPS (which I know you also have)? If so, do you mean that mainly in terms of tonality? Or are you speaking more in terms of overall quality?*

[size=xx-small]...in which case that would seem to imply that you find the AE-2 to come between the GLite/DPS and GS-1 in terms of quality.
eek.gif
[/size]

Tonality yes, and also partially in terms of overall sound quality. The Gilmore Lite does sonically eclipse the AE-2 in a few areas though.
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #32 of 54
When the Xin Reference hits the market it will be the one to contend with. Very nuetral, dynamic and bass like a home amp.

Jun 29, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When the Xin Reference hits the market it will be the one to contend with. Very nuetral, dynamic and bass like a home amp.

Absolutely agree with the Reference being very neutral.

Jun 30, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the soundstage on the Reference has to be heard to be believed.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nothing about it is going to be believed until people see it and hear it at meets.

It is unbelievable out of the box with my UE9s and I can't hardly wait for the burn-in to be over.

Jun 30, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the soundstage on the Reference has to be heard to be believed.
very_evil_smiley.gif

wink.gif
Are you sure you've even heard one?
wink.gif

[size=xx-small]* Note
wink.gif
[/size]

Jun 30, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #37 of 54
You're not going to find any amp that doesn't color the sound. Your description of the XPamp is a good description of how AD8397 sounds. Opamps do color the sound. Many claim that resistors, power caps, PCB's, cables etc color the sound.

If you use IEM's, you probably don't need a gain stage. The headphones out in DAP's don't sound good, and you can't connect a low impedance phone to line out. IMO you get the least coloration with a buffer-only amp. I'm afraid there's very little interest in such amps, and to my knowledge there are no commercial out there. You have to build it yourself.

Jul 1, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #39 of 54
I know two of us who have suggested that the Reference ravels out home amps and they are not bad amps by any means. Shown here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...0475#msg380475

It could be that they are just new....but it is hard to believe the sound out of this unit.

Yes, those of us who have had the pleasure are being very ev.
very_evil_smiley.gif
i.
evil_smiley.gif
.l..
evil_smiley.gif

edition9mp6.png

Jul 1, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #41 of 54
I think it is a blackgate....I know Dr. Xin said it was 22,000 uF . I am adverse to open it up and look at it.

I just opened up the battery end and could see one very gray and black cap setting there. I looks like a Blackgate to me.
[size=xx-small]
Dr. Xin said it does [/size][size=xx-small]output up to 250mA at full 6V.[/size]

Jul 1, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Black Gates don't make caps with big values like that, my guess would be a Nichicon cap.

CAP_ASSORTMENT.jpg

I would not know a Blackgate from a Nichicon ..whatever...I most probably stand corrected. Thanks

Jul 1, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you post a pic of the insides ? Thank you !

I just went to the blackgate site and they are black and gold. The one I have is gray and black. So it probably isn't blackgate.

I am sorry for pushing this false statement forward....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back