READ THIS and get a superb headphone for $16.99
Nov 28, 2002 at 9:30 AM Post #77 of 366
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Count me out until I see a comparison to the DT770 by someone who actually likes the DT770.

I own and love the DT770, so you'll hear from me
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I'm willing to risk missing out on the deal just to make sure that I won't have a headphone that I need to get rid of.

Don't worry, out of the 20-30 people here that bought them today, I'm sure someone's gonna sell 'em
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 9:32 AM Post #78 of 366
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
This headphone is a totally unknown phone on these pages or any other pages.

To be fair, they were recommended by Stereophile when they were new (I actually remember reading that issue, for what it's worth.)

Like Jude said -- cheap headphones are fun to try out. If they turn out to be bad, you don't lose much money. If they turn out to be good
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 9:42 AM Post #79 of 366
hi all...i also got one...
biggrin.gif

i found this in headwize.com..

JVC HA-D700, 990
I have had the $65-80 700's for several years. They have the best combination of balance and smoothness of any headphones. They are my favorite headphone for flat-eq listening, such as the headphone jack of a home CD deck. They have the most balanced bass vs. mid vs. treble, and sound smooth from each frequency to the next. I don't see them on the JVC web site; only the 990's are there.

The 700's are snug and comfortable. The 990's appear to be the 700's, with packaging that's supposed to be a little nicer. I don't know if the drivers are different.

The 990's, which I have not heard, are $120 (see Jvc.com). They need a slight boost around 13kHz. They are warm and very tube-like without being muddy; they seem to have a medium-width emphasis through the lower mids. The bass is extremely good, strong but not boomy; closed-back but not boxy sounding. I really lucked out when I found these. I still think the Sennheiser 580's and the new high-end super-open Sony's are interesting and I would like a pair, but those are open-back and *must* have treble cut and bass boost.

http://headwize.com/articles/hoff_art.htm#990

m.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 1:32 PM Post #80 of 366
Damn! I was quite tempted to be a lemming until I got to the checkout and the total cost shipped to Canada was $62.00 CAD.
frown.gif
A little bit much for an uknown when I'm trying to save for those damn AT's.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 1:41 PM Post #81 of 366
I'm not surprised these JVCs are great. I've been listening to the JVC DX 1 for a year now and it beats anything I've ever owned, including an old Stax electrostatic. Certainly leaves my Senn 580 for dead.

Nov 28, 2002 at 3:14 PM Post #83 of 366
O.k., I got in, too, at $16.99. Thanks Manopbur for the Yahoo link.

For self-justification, I think of it this way. Buying the JVCs is like buying a couple of CDs. I've bought many CDs that I haven't liked, and I haven't lost sleep over them. There's very little downside in buying the JVCs. I'm hoping that they're similar to my JVC HA-3s. If they are, I'll have another winner.

Nov 28, 2002 at 3:55 PM Post #84 of 366
Sheesh, the one day I don't read the headphone forum! Oh well, guess I'll wait for the reviews to start pouring in. And jude, that was a funny comic, man!
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 4:07 PM Post #85 of 366
Another sucker just logged on...
rolleyes.gif

Well, maybe we'll see a plethora of these for sale/trade soon. Or maybe not.
biggrin.gif

Bruce

Nov 28, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #86 of 366
Quote:

Originally posted by BDA_ABAT
Another sucker just logged on...
rolleyes.gif

Well, maybe we'll see a plethora of these for sale/trade soon. Or maybe not.
biggrin.gif

Bruce

The shipping cost would be higher than what you can get for the phones used.

If they stink I plan on using them as ear muffs this winter.

Nov 28, 2002 at 5:48 PM Post #88 of 366
****scrabblescrabblescrabblescrabble...eeeeeeyyyyy yahhhh***

(sound of lemmings running off cliff)

Yahoo shopping just now seems to have given me the 16.99 as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 5:56 PM Post #89 of 366
Hmm... Sovkiller said about the jvc 990 in the fs forum:

Quote:

Maybe he or she broke a pair to someone and is trying to get them as a replacement...... the sound of those are horrible, even when the construction is very sturdy, I had one pair in the past and gave it to a friend as a gift when I got the Sony's....

Nov 28, 2002 at 6:05 PM Post #90 of 366
Whoops, thanks Flasken, I'm cancelling my order!! Oh, what the hell, let it ride..
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back