READ THIS and get a superb headphone for $16.99
Nov 27, 2002 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 366

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
First, thanks to dokebi who found this link for me. If you puruse the gear section you may have seen my ads: wtb JVC HA D990 headphone. I have put in the ad several times. WHY? Because its the best closed phone I have ever heard. Now you can get them at Etronics for $16.99 plus shipping. This is a crazy good deal. I want to make sure you head-fiers know about these. I have owned these for as long as my sr-225s: I know them very well. I will do a mini review later, but I can tell you the d990s walk over, jump up and down on, and spit in the beyer dt 770 pros face.
IMO, the d990s best the beyers in every way. WHY HAVENT YOU HEARD OF THESE? I dont know! How you guys missed these is beyond me. They had been discontinued for some time as far as I knew, so maybe thats how. Anyway, go to my ad in the gear for sale section; click on the link dokebi provided me, and you can order them. I checked and Etronics just got an order in today. HOW MANY? I dont know, the saleswoman said they usually order 100. I will give you specifics as to their many virtues, but I cant right now. For $16.99 you cannot go wrong! By the way, I am in no connected with this company in any way.

Nov 27, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 366
Hi sacd lover,
Quote:

...I can tell you the d990s walk over, jump up and down on, and spit in the beyer dt 770 pros face.

Strong words! I hope you're right about the JVC HA D990 headphones. I just ordered a pair.
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 366
You guys are killin' me.........just ordered a pair. I found this info regarding this headphone:

From the Stereophile review of the Optimus 3400 portable CD player:
"I thought it sounded merely okay through its headphone jacks, driving either the Grado SR80s or the much more comfortable JVC HA-D990 (footnote 1)."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Footnote 1: Recommended by Bill Sommerwerck in his comprehensive review a few years back.

For $25 shipped, it looks like a good deal. Thanks.
wink.gif

BTW, original retail was over $130.

Nov 27, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 366
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
I can tell you the d990s walk over, jump up and down on, and spit in the beyer dt 770 pros face.

I find that VERY hard to believe, but since I'm such a sucker I ordered a pair to find out for myself
wink.gif

(Why do I feel like this is another Labtec 840 Elite fiasco in the making?
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Nov 27, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 366
Thanks very much for the tip. These look like a re-designed MDR-V6. I would appreciate very much if you could qualify what you mean by "walk over, jump up and down on, and spit in the beyer dt 770 pros face". I have been interested in buying the re-designed DT770, and I would be very happy to know of an alternative that offers nearly (or in your opinion surpasses) the sound quality of the well-respected DT770, for a far more attractive price.

What I am most interested in is soundstage and overall homogenity of the sound picture. Snufkin and Tomcat repeatedly refer to the DT770's ability to evenly and fairly represent the whole frequency spectrum, creating a relaxed but detailed sound that is very pleasurable to listen to. I am also interested to know how long you have owned a pair of DT770's, and if you don't, what basis you have for making such claims about the sound of it relative to the JVC headphone.

Thanks.

Nov 27, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #10 of 366
I'm tempted to get a pair too. they've got to be better than what i'm using now if they come anywhere near a phone that i well resapected here...

Nov 27, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 366
Nov 27, 2002 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 366
Dang! You guys need a "Meeting" (and not in the traditional Head-Fi sense)!

wink.gif

Nov 27, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 366
Hmmm, JVC seems to have thought that they could get $120 for a pair of these...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back