Re0 vs Mee M6 Please help
Jul 13, 2010 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Memento

New Head-Fier
Okay first time poster so here I go,
I have narrowed my choices to these 2.
I have an old pair of sony iems that are falling apart now, speaker wires are bad and im really annoyed but now i get to choose another.I really enjoy car audio and the first time I bought my Focal splits i was amazed by the sound production accurate and exact, the highs rolled over brilliantly and were just joy to listen to. Id love the same in my new iems.

Problem is I have a tendancy to treat my equipment badly(hence my broken speakers now) .I am a traveller and will be traveling for the next 3 years , The re0's sound like what im looking for but if i spend alot of money and they get ruined i will be more annoyed i didnt get something with better buiIld quality. The M6's look SO much more sturdy and could take a beating which i like. Also look nicer and come with a mic and remote. Also have been told they have 70-80% of the detail the re0's have and are quite Fun to listen to, I love detail in my music and seperation with accurate mid bass kick, My question is is the price difference worth it on the re0's knowing that i am travelling and my iems will be in positions to get damaged, or the m6's with quiet a sturdy build quality,look nicer,sound somewhat close in detail to the re0's(if that is true)? or just spend the extra on the re0's which could lack just a tiny bit of bass(which is no problem  if the bass is true)

Thanks for reading and I look forward to replies

Re0 $79 + shipping to uk(or 60 pounds in the uk)
M6 $55 + shipping(microphone,remote version)

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 29
RE0 is quite a bit more microphonic on the move when compared to M6, and it seems more fragile. But the problem with M6 for me is its generally recessed mids. Thinksound Rain offers a good balance between durability, detail, fun, bass and highs and there's little cable noise with it, however, noise isolation is not its strength. There is also Fisher Audio Silver Bullet to consider and maybe UE SuperFi 4 or 5.

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 29
They are meant for different applications. The re0 is more of a sedentary earphone. Decent isolation, decent build, great sound, but it really isn't made to be used actively. Walking should be fine, but something like sports probably not. The M6 is a good all-arounder, and is optimized for active use, but SQ won't compare to the re0.

Also realize that the sound signatures are vastly different. You have the flat and clinical re0 vs the V shaped and slightly warm M6. So preferences come into play.

What type of traveling are you doing? Will you be moving alot? Flying? With some more details about how you are going to be using the IEMs, as well as your preferred sound signature, better advice can be provided.

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 29
If you can boost the bass on your DAP the RE0 will certainly give you the detail.
If you have a iPhone  or iPod touch the Thinksound Rains have more audible bass and drive much easier than the RE0s.
The Rains are a tiny bit sibilant, but from what i've read in posts the M6 can be very sibilant.
The Rain have quite a fun sound signature.
The RE0 needs to be driven, if you have a walkman its fine.
The RE0s provide a more accurate detailed sound.
The Rains sound signature is very lush in the mids and full in the mid bass, highs smooth with good detail (more fun)
RE0s isolate a bit better than the Rains, but you can still here whats going on around you a bit

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 29

Quote:
If you can boost the bass on your DAP the RE0 will certainly give you the detail.
If you have a iPhone  or iPod touch the Thinksound Rains have more audible bass and drive much easier than the RE0s.
The Rains are a tiny bit sibilant, but from what i've read in posts the M6 can be very sibilant.
The Rain have quite a fun sound signature.
The RE0 needs to be driven, if you have a walkman its fine.
The RE0s provide a more accurate detailed sound.
The Rains sound signature is very lush in the mids and full in the mid bass, highs smooth with good detail (more fun)
RE0s isolate a bit better than the Rains, but you can still here whats going on around you a bit

I would say that the M6 has one of the MOST fun sound signatures. Very bright but the slightly recessed vocals might be a little annoying depending on your tastes.

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 29
Ok I'm on my iPod touch so bear with, thanks for the great replies I'm learning alot on head fi already .

I will be moving alot and using airplanes alot and living from time to time in cities for 3 months or so. I will be using an iPod touch 65% of the time and my laptop 35% (-: if that helps, I definatly like an accurate sound sig and don't enjoy music that sounds congested or overproduced so to speak . I was set on the re0 s before because of the way the sound is described as being accurate. I listen to alot of alternative metal heavy metal and occaisionl electronic(love my deftones and tool).I prefer a sound where I can distinguish individual guitar or bass notes that are playing at the same time but have it roll off quite nicely through mids to highs.

My last iems have died because I use my headphones while sleeping alot and they get crushed mid night when they fall out . Mabye I would be satisfies with the $30 m9 just so if they do break I'm not down triple the money? Are the re0 s that fragile ?

Thinksound rains look nice more expensive though and seem only as durable as the re0 s, ue superfi 4 mabye but the 5's cost is too much for me.Ive been reading that the re0's still sounds great un amped,its why i considered them in the first place are the m6's overpriced at $55usd? $25 more for re0's $45 for Thinksound rains.Thoughts? Thanks forthe replies

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 29
Ok I'm on my iPod touch so bear with, thanks for the great replies I'm learning alot on head fi already .

I will be moving alot and using airplanes alot and living from time to time in cities for 3 months or so. I will be using an iPod touch 65% of the time and my laptop 35% (-: if that helps, I definatly like an accurate sound sig and don't enjoy music that sounds congested or overproduced so to speak . I was set on the re0 s before because of the way the sound is described as being accurate. I listen to alot of alternative metal heavy metal and occaisionl electronic(love my deftones and tool).I prefer a sound where I can distinguish individual guitar or bass notes that are playing at the same time but have it roll off quite nicely through mids to highs.

My last iems have died because I use my headphones while sleeping alot and they get crushed mid night when they fall out . Mabye I would be satisfies with the $30 m9 just so if they do break I'm not down triple the money? Are the re0 s that fragile ?

Thinksound rains look nice more expensive though and seem only as durable as the re0 s, ue superfi 4 mabye but the 5's cost is too much for me.Ive been reading that the re0's still sounds great un amped,its why i considered them in the first place. Thanks for your replies

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #8 of 29
I would not consider super fi 4.  RE0s are great overall, but lack bass, and are very microphonic.  I think for the price I paid for my M6 there is no comparison, the soundstage and clarity of the M6 may be outdone by the RE0 but for $22 shipped I got an outstanding set of IEMs that I use at the gym, no microphonics, and great bass.

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #9 of 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memento /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can sleep comfortably on my side with the m6 (since it is flush against my ear) but not with the re0 so that might be the deal breaker for you. However in terms of SQ, the re0 is light years ahead.

Jul 14, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 29
I have both. M6 has a totally different sound signature than the RE0.  More bass on the M6; better detail and clearer highs on the RE0. RE0 has a flatter response across the sound spectrum and the micro detail is very good for the price.

M6 cable is much more sturdy.  The design of the headphone is different and the cable comes out at an angle with the intent that the cable wraps around from the top of the ear.  The sound tube is on the larger side and some have had fit problems.  I had problems with my left ear but with after market Comply foam tips (T500) they fit fine. They are now quite comfortable but it still takes me a little bit to get a good seal.  Others don't have problems and love the M6 fit.

RE0 fit is pretty standard. 

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 29
4sound pretty much hit the nail on the head, although personally, I never had any fit problems with the M6. They fit wonderfully. I'll add that for flying, neither offers adequate isolation IMO. Otherwise they are good, but for airplane use consider also getting a used etymotic or perhaps an M11.

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 29
The M6 is purpose built for physical use, it provides good SQ as a secondary benefit IMO.  It has recessed mids and does benefit from Eq.  The RE0 is purpose built for SQ, whether you enjoy the sound unamped is another question.  Isolation wise for flying nothing, I mean nothing beats Ety ER4s and Klipsch Image X5s.  The ER4 wins for sound, the Klipsch wins for comfort.  Haven't heard the other Etys or Images.

Jul 14, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 29

My personal take on the M6 is that with a pair of correctly sized Sony Hybrids, it's as isolating as I would ever want in an IEM, to the point that I could use them as standalone noise reduction earplugs. The fit is almost medical device worthy. Could be my ears just work with them. obviously mileage varies. As far as durability, I dunno. Probably similar to any decently made IEM. I wouldn't wear them while kickboxing or drop them in lava.

Sound wise I would describe it as fun, just bassy enough, and a tad aggressive with some compromise of vocals, but not enough to bother me. Treble is a little harsh out of the box. The advantages provided by the over-ear wire may not be a big deal for air travel, and could even be an inconvenience when taking them off and on while listening for your flight or talking to a flight attendant.

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 29
I'm surprised about all the M6 love in this thread. I had the most recent clear M6 and I hated them.  They did fit well, look good and appeared durable. However, after 100+ hours of burn-in, I thought they had an "artificial" sound, with weak bass.  After one day of listening, I gave my M6 to a co-worker for free and continued to use my RE2 as my primary IEM.

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 29

Quote:
I'm surprised about all the M6 love in this thread. I had the most recent clear M6 and I hated them.  They did fit well, look good and appeared durable. However, after 100+ hours of burn-in, I thought they had an "artificial" sound, with weak bass.  After one day of listening, I gave my M6 to a co-worker for free and continued to use my RE2 as my primary IEM.

Weak bass?  I find it rather V shaped in treble and bass.  You sure you had a good seal?  As for artificial sound, well they aren't the best IEM's for sound I have in my collection.  But my $27 Clip+ Eq does wonders for my $17 M6s.  No complaints here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back