re0 v ue700
Feb 27, 2011 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jaqueh

500+ Head-Fier
weird comparison i know, one being dynamic and the being DBA.

But which one is more similar to the sound signature that i seem to enjoy for metal:
Cold sounding and very fast, good separation of instruments, decent soundstage (not too important), bass needs to be present, decent timbre, but not bloated, just enough to reproduce (albeit coldly) bass guitars and bass drums.

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 15
anyone, i'm also probably going to sell my fischer audio silver bullets for $64 if someone recommends me one of these earphones. 

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 15
Really into mainstream music and pop, as well as opera sometimes. When I put on UE700 (+Cowon D2) - the sound signature was detailed, initially rather harsh, almost tiny, not 'bright' as some implied. With a bit burn-in, became more tolerable. From memory, had above average soundstage, something it really outpace RE0 in. It has the 80s tone to the sound, great if you're into rock. Quick, sharp attack, yet without prolonged bass to supplement the stage. Being a bass head, the lack in bass presence rendered it poorly choice for me, even my Metro 170 felt more suitable for my taste. Don't get me wrong, while it had decent, but not exceptional mid nor low, the high really sparked with right tracks. The reason, I say that, is sometimes, for few tracks, such as 'Boulevard of broken dream', it simply smashed them with stunning amount of detail, reproduced the music in a way I never experienced. When the wrong track plays, it sounds harsh. Had Metro 170 before, matching my taste almost perfectly for about, setting me back merely £10, yet producing impressive bass. When I got UE700, had unrealistic expection - later on it became apparent UE700 was more satificatory for narrow selection of tracks. For most tracks it leaves something to be desired. While certainly an upgrade, was largely unqualified success imo.Playing 'Long Shot' by Kelly Clarkson, starts off to great start - but then there was the absence of distinct vocal, as well as low. - not quite meeting my expectation for $100/£70. Overall it it a good set, only worth about $100 though. My feeling was it was not as refined for a wide variety of gene - though with relatively natural, if not a bit bright sound and UE high, as well surprisingly compact body, gives makes it great set for budget UE lovers. Music aside, I must give kudos, that Logitech would beat Head-Direct any day in support, speed. As a benefit from merger with Logitech, the new lineup of UE really has been mainstreamed; its cable is an example. With RE0, there were alot of microphonic noise - UE700's cable eliminated it elegently. Offering almost comparable quality to previous flagship, while delivering quality, and far more user friendly products (UE700 is TINY physically), at a fraction of the cost.

My recollection of RE0, was that it had cheap $10 headphone set build quality, larger physically, and didn't fit as well. Honestly if you didn't hear it, you wouldn't think they cost so much.  It did have extreme natural sound. Music wise, even with different tips, and after the bass mod, lacked real punch. Overall I'd say it had rather flat output; paired with D2, it should made a dream combo for audio purist - though I personally resented the sound signature. Like UE700, it lacked bass presence, marginally more this time; the mid similarly felt slight further recessed - and the high, while is rated highly by others here, and is very impressive in itself, didn't rival UE700 - in addition RE0 felt let down by the absence of any sort of soundtrack. In signature from what I could say, these two are very similar in weakness - UE700 overall edges out with wide margin. My RE0 broke within weeks with one speaker not working. Not for me.

Either way, make sure try it first. For you, I think UE700 does better. They are equally fast, in complicated scene RE0 sounds muddy, as it lacks decent instrument separation, which can't be blamed as UE700 has dual drivers.

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 15
that's strange, so from what your telling me. the UE700s are just treble then? From mids down, everything is just recessed? That doesn't sound quite like the headphone that im looking for. I just like cold, and flat sound signatures

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
that's strange, so from what your telling me. the UE700s are just treble then? From mids down, everything is just recessed? That doesn't sound quite like the headphone that im looking for. I just like cold, and flat sound signatures

UE700 is considered to have bright presentation. Have you looked into Etymotic ER-6i? They are detailed and analytic, as well as cold in sig.

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 15
yea, i've considered them too, but which has the most accurate drum reproduction?

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 15
For what you are looking for, I would recommend the UE700 over the ER6i, I have both, I have never heard the RE0's.  The UE700 does everything the ER6i's do but much better.  The soundstage is much wider, it is still a very balanced IEM but has a better defined low end.  It is one of my favorite IEM's.  I don't listen to a lot of metal but I do listen to a bit of Prog.  I love them for that as well as classical and especially vocal jazz.

Feb 28, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 15
http://jaben.net/shopping2/product.php?productid=53&cat=44&page=1

Hippo 10EB (on comply tips) vs UE700

I prefer the Hippo10EB, similar bass but more present on the Hippo. Midrange on the UE700 is unnatural IMO, way too forward while the Hippo 10EB are more natural and cold sounding. Highs are similar but not as shrill as the UE700 can sometimes get.

Only downside is they are harder to drive and not as comfortable as the UE700. Only cost $38 since it is indeed free when purchasing the ES8 cable so it's a steal.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #11 of 15
Hi i have totally opposite views to coolant 8. I think the re0s are in another league compared to the ue700s. the re0s sounds so much more refined when compared to the ue700s.

Highs and mids are more refined and natural compared to the ue700s. Soundstage and sound separation is much better on the re0s( at least to my ears). The ue700s sound really compressed and unrefined compared to the re0s.
The quantity of the ue700 midbass is more but in comparison the re0s, the bass of the re0s are cleaner and better with less muddiness.
There is no comparison at all really. The re0s really compare with the big boys. (FYI, i found the ue700s and um3x bass to be muddy so probably take my opinion about the ue700's bass with a pinch of salt.)

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Hi i have totally opposite views to coolant 8. I think the re0s are in another league compared to the ue700s. the re0s sounds so much more refined when compared to the ue700s.

Highs and mids are more refined and natural compared to the ue700s. Soundstage and sound separation is much better on the re0s( at least to my ears). The ue700s sound really compressed and unrefined compared to the re0s.
The quantity of the ue700 midbass is more but in comparison the re0s, the bass of the re0s are cleaner and better with less muddiness.
There is no comparison at all really. The re0s really compare with the big boys. (FYI, i found the ue700s and um3x bass to be muddy so probably take my opinion about the ue700's bass with a pinch of salt.)

whoa, that just changes everything. what music do you listen to, and do you use an amp for your RE0s?

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #13 of 15
haven't heard the others, but from the description of what you're looking for, the RE0s should be perfect for you.

Mar 3, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #15 of 15
No. I don't use them with an amp on the go and i don't enjoy them lesser then i do with an amp.
I listen to most modern genres except metal, however, based on my judgement, i still believe that they are on another level and should be compared with the big boys instead of the ue700s. Unless a bass driven sound determines whether you find an earphone is good or not, if not re0s all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back