RE0 or HJE900 for rock?
Apr 8, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #16 of 47
yeah I know but I think they affect the soundstage on all phones...Well I gotta find some phones for them. I got no use for them since both my phones don't like the hybrids. Maybe its cuz I've been using the mtp gold's the last couple days :p I'm surprisingly enjoying them and may want to consider getting something more along the lines of a bass oriented iem that doesn't cost too much. I'll see in a week or so.

I do like the bass on the e-Q7 however
smily_headphones1.gif
It's strange actually..after I decided I wasn't going to buy universals all these iem's that didn't appeal to me started to become appealing lol..the iem's are playing some stupid mind games on me ;p

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

the Hybrids are not ideal for the Panas, they affect the soundstage.

James - didn't realise I was sacrificing something, soundstage is the one thing I definitely notice my M6 betters the CZs in so perhaps that is an issue - what would you suggest using? I saw another thread on here mentioning UE tips (apparently that was what joker recommended) - reckon I should give them a whirl?

EDIT: Just checked the other thread regarding tips for these phones, and you're using the UE tips as well. Will get a set
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Wow, bass doen't get much better than with the e-Q7 IMO! BTW the Hybrids are not ideal for the Panas, they affect the soundstage.

Welcome to the minority James.....I also feel the eq 7 offers amazing deep and articulate bass..... any one want to join the orto's have great bass club?

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #19 of 47
I'll go with the HJE900s as well. Great thing about IEMs is that tips can do so much to affect sound. Depending on how much you want the highs rolled off, you can try a variety of different tips. Complies and triple flanges kill the treble for me, but a couple have liked it. It removes all the sparkle for me though. The HJE900s can be harsh out of the box, but my unfiltered ones sound fine to my ears most of the time. On some sibilant recordings it can be annoying with my set-up though. I also don't think hybrids are so bad on these, still my second or third favorite tip I've tried. You might actually like the smaller, warmer soundstage they give the HJEs. Hybrids also attenuate the treble justtt enough for me to remove pretty much all the harshness while maintaining the sparkle. In any case hybrids are a good IEM investment, as they fit so many nozzle sizes. I will soon try filtering the HJEs though to see how that affects the sound. My meelec single flange tips are working great though as of now.

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #20 of 47
I mostly listen to metal and rock on my amped RE0 and I have nothing to complain about (apart from soundstage maybe). The detail is amazing and after a couple of days of burn-in the bass isn't as light as it was out of the box. I really believe both of your choices will make you happy. You can also consider the Fischer Audio Eterna. Check ClieOS' review and the dedicated thread on these. They are fun, warm and in your face. Well-produced metal like Nevermore, Gojira and even stuff like the latest Nile sound absolutely intimidating on the Eterna's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #21 of 47
I think I'll get the HJE900s. I definitely don't like in your face sound - hence my love for the HD650. Hopefully, these aren't too in your face. Some people say that these have a recessed midrange which i actually prefer along with depth of sound. Wide soundstage would be nice but I'm not expecting everything for the price.

I think that I would most likely think that the RE0 lacks bass. Can't be sure without listening though. Oh well. I will likely use IEMs on the plane and that always attenuates bass - so if they are already lacking, that would be a problem.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #22 of 47
I think I chose poor wording when I meant bass phone. What I should have said was a phone that was focused on that area which the e-Q7 is not. It does have great bass but that isn;t the focus. It seems more like the mids are the focus ;p

To the OP: congrats on your purchase. hopefully you will end up liking it

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #23 of 47
You said you wanted to use it for metal, and I wouldn't recommend any studio monitor-like IEM for that. A lot of metal is badly recorded, at least "bad" compared to the cleanness of other recordings, so that will come out in both the RE0 and HJE900. Note: I only have personal experience with the RE0, but Joker said that the HJE900 is the first IEM he used where he was clearly able to tell the difference between 192kbps mp3 and better quality mp3.

I'd recommend looking for something that is forgiving of bad quality.

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

@rawster: I'm aware of that and that's why I asked the owner (dfkt) if something was wrong with my borrowed RE0. He replied that they were in perfect condition and unmodded, so I'm going to stick to what my ears tell me about their highs:
- extended: infinitely!
- detailed: you bet!
- refined: no way! you may not notice it so much with Rock or such, but they are harsh and unpleasantly squeaky in the higher ranges. I invite all RE0 followers who doubt that to listen to this classical piece. I know it's not the best quality, but 191kbps ogg is good enough to hear what I mean.

Bottom line: almost all of my mid and top-tier IEMs present a violin concerto like this more pleasantly than the RE0.
frown.gif

Ok, I just downloaded this piece and listened to it. What can I say? It sounds beautiful through my RE0! Yes, sure the violins sometimes get quite bright, but not unnaturally so at least to my ears. I've never been to live classical music performances before though, so I am not sure what it's supposed to sound like in real life, but it sounds pretty realistic to me through the RE0.

James, please check your RE0 frequency response by running some tone sweeps. I know mine used to have some nasty peaks in the treble too - one at around 14 kHz and a smaller one around 12 kHz as well. I also couldn't listen to a lot of music at high volumes because of that. What I did that seemed to help eliminate the peaks was I took out the yellow foam inside and squeezed it back in a bit harder - that got rid of both peaks almost completely. The one at around 14 kHz is still there, but its very small now and only becomes bothersome on very few recordings. Also, if you don't want to take out the foam, put some cotton inside the tips - that will also smooth out the highs, although it may also muffle it upper mids a bit. Also, why don't you just EQ the treble down a little?

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #25 of 47
I assume that the differences people hear in the upper frequencies are due to fit and ear canal resonance. Check out the sticky "how to EQ your headphone" to get an idea of how crazy ear canal resonance can create huge peaks in freq amplitude - and its totally and individual thing!

Also, I agree that alot of metal is poorly recorded. However, there are some great exceptions. Check out original vinyl copies of early Slayer, Metalica (Kill them all), Black Sabbath and others. Too bad these are the exceptions. However, I've got these vinyl rips on my Zune - nice!

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #26 of 47
The hjes are not shabby on soundstage width but they have very good depth. And they sound much better when burned in with poor recordings. ISome old school atheist sounds much better when foam modded and fully burned in. They are still aggressive and might be good paired with an amp with recessed treble.

You must foam mod them if you plan on listening to poor recordings. They take a looong time to burn in.

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
James, please check your RE0 frequency response by running some tone sweeps. I know mine used to have some nasty peaks in the treble too - one at around 14 kHz and a smaller one around 12 kHz as well. I also couldn't listen to a lot of music at high volumes because of that. What I did that seemed to help eliminate the peaks was I took out the yellow foam inside and squeezed it back in a bit harder - that got rid of both peaks almost completely. The one at around 14 kHz is still there, but its very small now and only becomes bothersome on very few recordings. Also, if you don't want to take out the foam, put some cotton inside the tips - that will also smooth out the highs, although it may also muffle it upper mids a bit. Also, why don't you just EQ the treble down a little?

Fair enough, so you modded yours and they sound much more pleasantly now. Well, the pair I auditioned was borrowed, so modding was not an option. Anyway, I'm not a RE0 hater, all I'm saying is they have their weaknesses and I would not recommend them without reservations. Granted, for $79 they are a good buy if you like a neutral sound signature, but I'd never spend $199 (their original asking price) on them.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think that I would most likely think that the RE0 lacks bass.

That is my main gripe with them. But thats from someone who actually considers eqing up the bass on a D2000 at times so take it with a grain of salt
smily_headphones1.gif
. I love my FX500 but would definitely not recommend it for planes, isolation is really lousy.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Fair enough, so you modded yours and they sound much more pleasantly now. Well, the pair I auditioned was borrowed, so modding was not an option. Anyway, I'm not a RE0 hater, all I'm saying is they have their weaknesses and I would not recommend them without reservations. Granted, for $79 they are a good buy if you like a neutral sound signature, but I'd never spend $199 (their original asking price) on them.

If they have peaks in the treble that's not neutral sound. Mine do have a sound that's very close to neutral after simple modding and a lot of burn-in and I think the original $199 price on them was perfectly justified. Their detail resolution and extension in the treble far surpasses that of any headphone I've heard below $100 and with the right source and tips, they have a very nice punchy bass too and beautiful mids. Right now I still can't decide whether I prefer the RE0 or the e-Q7 actually. Out of my portables, e-Q7 is the winner and by quite a large margin with some recordings, but when I plug both into my Audigy 2 ZS with kxProject drivers, RE0 suddenly comes to life and give the e-Q7 a serious run for their money.

BTW, did you try them with the stock large bi-flanges? They are definitely not too bright with those tips, even out of the box. After burn in and modding, the sound become a bit too muffled and bassy with the bi-flanges on most of my sources so I switched to UE single flanges.

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #30 of 47
Wow! I just got the HJE900s and they sound real bad!

I understand things can settle down some with burnin but this is going to have to be a miracle.

First the cord is way too short. They look cool though.

The sound is very dark but the highs are harsh with plenty of sibilance. I didn't bother with an amp since they are rather hissy with my Zune to begin with. Everything just sounds weird like when I used to listen to my roomates stereo. He had this crazy eq with a huge V setting. He would never change it - it drove me nuts! Plus the hissiness sounds like his EQ too. Things sounded a little better with hybrid tips - not much though.

One weird thing I noticed is that with them on and no music I could here certain high freqencies of my surroundings - like my feet walking on my spungy carpet. It was really strange.

The mid bass on these is too much too - too boomy!

Anyway, I'm kindof depressed now. I'll likely send these back tomorrow. I may just order the RE0s.

Any other suggestions for a NATURAL sound (not crazy EQ sound) and good bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back