Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Feb 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #9,676 of 24,643

Quote:
oh that's too bad.  The first scene evading the cops is frickin awesome. 

After that, it's all about Albert Brooks for me.  I'd watch it again for him and no other reason.

Ryan doesn't drive like a race car driver and he left his watch, needless oversights IMO.

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #9,677 of 24,643
Gettysburg - 2/10

I don't know how you make a war movie (esp one about a war that has not been covered much by hollywood) this boring.  Nothing but a bunch of bad actors pontificating the most contrived sentimental nonsense you ever heard.  I have no idea what the heck they're talking about most of the time.  And it's 4 hours long.  It's taken me about 5 sittings to get through 2 hours of it and I feel like throwing up.  There's no sense of organization to the few fight scenes, I have no idea who's doing what or why or where, it's just random shooting and smoke and then more sentimental nonsense.  About everything from the worth of mankind to racism and slavery and equality to the meaning of war etc.  But all broadcast at the depth of a budget TV show.   Even the opening credits made no sense.  So I go back and forth between rolling my eyes at the script to scratching my head wondering what is happening beyond some kind of battle of some sort. 

It's like a kid re-wrote The Thin Red Line for the Civil War and then no one bothered to edit it down. 

The only thing I like is the beards and mustaches, which give it 2 instead of 1 star.  And the fact that it's a civil war movie, which I'd like to see more of. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #9,678 of 24,643

Quote:
Gettysburg - 2/10

I don't know how you make a war movie (esp one about a war that has not been covered much by hollywood) this boring.  Nothing but a bunch of bad actors pontificating the most contrived sentimental nonsense you ever heard.  I have no idea what the heck they're talking about most of the time.  And it's 4 hours long.  It's taken me about 5 sittings to get through 2 hours of it and I feel like throwing up.  There's no sense of organization to the few fight scenes, I have no idea who's doing what or why or where, it's just random shooting and smoke and then more sentimental nonsense.  About everything from the worth of mankind to racism and slavery and equality to the meaning of war etc.  But all broadcast at the depth of a budget TV show.   Even the opening credits made no sense.  So I go back and forth between rolling my eyes at the script to scratching my head wondering what is happening beyond some kind of battle of some sort. 

It's like a kid re-wrote The Thin Red Line for the Civil War and then no one bothered to edit it down. 

The only thing I like is the beards and mustaches, which give it 2 instead of 1 star.  And the fact that it's a civil war movie, which I'd like to see more of. 

It is exactly like a bad Thin Red Line which was already one of my most despised films.  Malik should just take all the fighting out and just focus on nature.  Maybe there's a edited version w/o a story.  

The only way to enjoy Gettysburg is to read the books, if even then.  It's solely targeted at Civil War buffs already familiar with all the nuances and interpersonal relationships.  As a movie it sucks.

History Channel had a decent Gettysburg episode last memorial day or so.  It was done by Ridley and Tony Scott.

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #9,679 of 24,643
The Thin Red Line's one of my favorites. 
biggrin.gif
  But this movie was offensive. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #9,680 of 24,643
Malick is great. I did watch Days of heaven. Not as good as Thin red line, A new world or tree of life. A bit weaker script and story 3/5.
Trespass latest. Not original but it did work for me this time. 3/5 feels fair.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #9,681 of 24,643
I actually liked a New World.  I liked part of Tree of Life where there were actually actors and a story.  I'm a big cinematography and art direction buff but I can't excuse everything just because of that.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #9,682 of 24,643
For Drive I suppose you have to like slow (but not boring) movies. I loved Drive, like I love Gattaca, The Fountain, Lost in Translation, Collateral, and Another Year for example.

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #9,684 of 24,643
A New World is probably my favourite. As for Tree of Life got a bit over pretentious when they wanted to show the birth of earth and all that along side with  the original story. But really it was so beautiful and beautifully orchestrated I didn´t mind. I would feel sad if I wouldn´t been allowed to see all that great work :p

Need some malick uncut bluray box.
Quote:
I actually liked a New World.  I liked part of Tree of Life where there were actually actors and a story.  I'm a big cinematography and art direction buff but I can't excuse everything just because of that.

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #9,685 of 24,643

Quote:
Drive! 5/10

Didn´t quite understand Ryans character. Not sure if he is supposed to be a psycopath or a likeable character.
To much music video and to little movie I felt at times as well and please don´t make a movie named Drive with such nice cars and don´t give us proper action sequences.
It was not like the extra time was used to build characters or anything either.

Yes, they were trying to make him a hero/anti hero bad ass it seems. A new twist on Dirty Harry type of character development. So he is sensitive too and does not talk much at times. He cares about this Mom and her Son but can do tuff-guy stuff and get away with it whenever he wants.

I just watched Drive again. It is a better movie the second time. The movie seems to be very influenced by older movies from the 1970s or 1980s paying tribute to older drive in movies with the color theme style, photography and violence style they used. The use of music was well done and when you know the plot, the music is easy to get into the 2nd time around. I like hearing Eno's music from that Nasa movie soundtrack used and the ultra rare Brian Eno Music for films 2, being used as a love theme. It has been used in a couple movies that I've seen.

Still the movie gets a 6 out of 10 only because I understood what they were trying to do better the second time around. Really the acting is pretty bad! The over all vibe makes up for it with the use of music and great photography. The music video element was what I liked better the second time. When you see it the first time your looking for the plot to move along and your shown this artsy music video. The second watch you can sit back and enjoy it more. It may get better in a third play? Who knows?

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #9,686 of 24,643
The Proposal 7/10 - I was forced to watch this with the wife because the last five had nothing but gore and scary scenes.  Although I didn't care much for Ryan, Sandra was just too damn cute and played her part very well.  A rare moment that was spared the "What" post silent moment with a long sigh.  Most romantic/chick flicks receives this treatment.

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #9,687 of 24,643
Moneyball - 8.5/10

Don't know much about baseball but I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Pitt and PSH were great as usual and the Superbad kid was a revelation. The interaction between manager and players could've been better fleshed out and it would have been good to see the development of manager/coach relationship during the streak. The brief moments with his daughter were sweet though and made the ending quite poignant.

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #9,688 of 24,643

Quote:
A New World is probably my favourite. As for Tree of Life got a bit over pretentious when they wanted to show the birth of earth and all that along side with  the original story. But really it was so beautiful and beautifully orchestrated I didn´t mind. I would feel sad if I wouldn´t been allowed to see all that great work :p

Need some malick uncut bluray box.

You know what I think 'Tree' needed?  Better linkage and transition.  It's too starkly disjointed IMO and lacks thematic clarity and continuity.  Kubrik was much better at this aspect if we look at 2001 for example.  Watching 'Tree' gave me the feeling Malick knew he had a problem but couldn't figure out how to fix it or had to deal with real world constraints from the studio or something.  I'd find it hard to believe he would say that 'Tree' came out exactly as he had envisioned it.  I kept getting the feeling I was watching a film that wasn't finished yet.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #9,690 of 24,643
Destination Tokyo - 7/10

Movie from 1943 starring Cary Grant about a submarine sneaking into the Tokyo Bay to drop off 3 men onto shore to acquire info for the first bombings of Tokyo.
First 60% was pretty dull, but then it was worthwhile towards the end. Hollywood sure hated the Japanese back then. Tons of dialogue about all those "japs" and "nips".
So annoying, but this was made just after they bombed us at Pearl Harbour.

BTW most interesting part is a scene where a man gets his appendix removed by an un-skilled pharmacist(!) while in the Tokyo Bay while in a submarine. Think this actually happened.

I like 90% of WWII movies, so most would rate this much lower. As long as I can learn some history (I usually fact check), then I'm happy.

Catch Me if You can - 10/10

One of my favorites.

Celestine Prophecy - 0/10

Puts you to sleep faster than a sleeping pill. Free on Amazon Prime. No, I didn't read the book.

Watched "Von Ryan's Express" and "The Great Escape" back to back again this weekend. Love those movies
normal_smile%20.gif

I once watched Great Escape twice in one day..that's crazy! People love to criticize the movie because it didn't rewrite history..oh well.

BTW I got "Das Boot" on blu-ray at Best Buy for $12.99. What a steal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back