Quote:

BTW I got "Das Boot" on blu-ray at Best Buy for $12.99. What a steal

I just stole one too.

Now if I could only steal a copy of 'City of Life and Death'

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #9,692 of 24,667
Pet Semetary: 6/10. It was ok, cool concept though

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #9,694 of 24,667
The Three of Life 1/10

I've felt that script for movie was written by 100 or more writers. There is some basic idea - life and death, according to which movie is explicated. The 1-st writer writes some lines, than the 2-nd one comes into action and scribbles without looking at what the 1-st guy had written then the 3-rd, then the 4-th and yada yada yada.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #9,695 of 24,667

Quote:
BTW I got "Das Boot" on blu-ray at Best Buy for $12.99. What a steal!

Awesome movie!  I can't ever remember a movie with music that was so perfect.  The dark rumbling bouncy techno stuff when the ship is cruising like a hunter just blew my mind.  I've been picturing that scene with that music ever since.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #9,697 of 24,667

Quote:
"Blade Runner" (1982)- 9/10
This was my second time seeing it but it was even better the second time.  Amazing special effects, great soundtrack and overall a great sci-fi

It really is a classic. They played it at the Balboa in Newport Beach a couple of years ago. It is one movie I would like to see on film! Never forget how much fun it was playing it for my Dad. It may come up again being played in original form to see. Never has a world of the future been so detailed and moody.

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #9,698 of 24,667

Quote:
Awesome movie!  I can't ever remember a movie with music that was so perfect.  The dark rumbling bouncy techno stuff when the ship is cruising like a hunter just blew my mind.  I've been picturing that scene with that music ever since.

Das Boot is one of my favourite movies. Some of the best endings ever too.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #9,700 of 24,667
The Mist - 6/10

Lots of promise but kind of a disappointment in the end.  It's well shot and pretty well acted especially the crazy religious lady.  And maybe it's a realistic depiction of what would happen in that situation.  I do think unbelievable chaos and terror would come over a lot of people and we'd loose a lot of the "civility" we consider so ingrained in us.  But I felt it tended too far towards the melodramatic.  And the CGI was pretty bad.  They should have chosen different looking monsters that could have been modeled.  In the end it was just really disturbing without offering much reason for it in the way of character development or profound/captivating/telling/revealing moments of some sort. 

And the ending was terrible. 

But I love this kind of sci fi. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #9,701 of 24,667
Another Earth, 9/10

This will be another love it or hate it flick, more of a human drama of forgiveness and redemption than a sci fi story but whatever it was Brit Marling was amazing. Another triumph of imagination over budget.

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #9,703 of 24,667
Guadalcanal Diary - 8/10 (1943)

Based on the book I haven't read. Has more of a documentary feel to it and it seems fairly accurate. Couldn't believe how much Hollywood racism there was in this movie towards the Japanese. I liked this one so much, but it felt way too short. Some of the acting was funny...everyone who got shot looks as if they passed out or fell asleep. No reaction or anything. Just fell on the ground and that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back