Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Nov 5, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #6,602 of 24,643
The Social Network 7/10*

Fincher´s one of my most fav directors. FOA/FYI I am not on f*cking FACEBOOK and, besides that IMHO this movie definitely do NOT define this decade, generation  or something (like some people are sayin´). Characters well played...but, probably my worst movie by Fincher.

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #6,603 of 24,643
This is a cool thread.  Sorry to be a pain in the a;s sometimes.  It's nice to be nice, huh?

I've primarily focused on the audible arts all my life and I've been missing out...

This is dumb but I watched Exit Wounds the other night.  lol i did, It was fun, for hoolywod.)  7/10

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #6,604 of 24,643
Quote:
I meant the JW movie version, thanks for the heads-up on the book though. Now I wonder if the Coen bros are remaking the first movie or doing an original adaptation of the novel.

Their version is going to be much more faithful to the novel.  The John Wayne version was rewritten to be a John Wayne vehicle.  Now, I do like John Wayne (Fight On, Marion Morrison!), but have also been a die-hard Portis fan for years.  He's hysterical and I strongly recommend reading "Norwood," "Dog of the South" and "Masters of Atlantis."  I think it was Roy Blount Jr. who said that no one should die without having read "The Dog of the South."  I agree, though "Masters of Atlantis" is my favorite - along with Conan O'Brien.  Portis is the best author you've never heard of.  He's a bit of a recluse, but still around.

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #6,605 of 24,643
How do the Coen brothers continue to have such deep insights into American culture, while transcending it all the while?  I don't think that they have made a bad movie (not of the few I have seen).

My answer would be that between them, they have impeccable taste.  An artist can only try to create a unique and special combination of what has influenced him.

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #6,607 of 24,643

Quote:
Their version is going to be much more faithful to the novel.  The John Wayne version was rewritten to be a John Wayne vehicle.  Now, I do like John Wayne (Fight On, Marion Morrison!), but have also been a die-hard Portis fan for years.  He's hysterical and I strongly recommend reading "Norwood," "Dog of the South" and "Masters of Atlantis."  I think it was Roy Blount Jr. who said that no one should die without having read "The Dog of the South."  I agree, though "Masters of Atlantis" is my favorite - along with Conan O'Brien.  Portis is the best author you've never heard of.  He's a bit of a recluse, but still around.

Masters of Atlantis looks great, I will have to check that out. It looks like most of his books are back in print now.

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #6,608 of 24,643
Saw 3D - 7/10. I've watched every one of the series. If you like Jigsaw's gruesome tortures, watch it otherwise steer clear. Nothing new and it's got the same old cliche ending but for the fans: more of the same isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #6,610 of 24,643

Quote:
How do the Coen brothers continue to have such deep insights into American culture, while transcending it all the while?  I don't think that they have made a bad movie (not of the few I have seen).

My answer would be that between them, they have impeccable taste.  An artist can only try to create a unique and special combination of what has influenced him.

Serious Man was fantastic w/ respect to American Jewish culture and theology!  If you aren't familiar w/ the nuances of the Old Testament and the Hebrew God a lot will go right over your head.  Especially the ending.  It took me two views and reflection back on some college courses to piece it together.  

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #6,611 of 24,643
I watched the entire series of "The Pacific" on blu-ray in just the span of two nights. It's almost too much to stomach in such a short period of time. For me, it wasn't an enjoyable or easy movie to watch. At first I thought maybe HBO just deliberately made it excessively gory, but I definitely don't think this is the case. At times it felt like I was right there with the marines. A few times I felt that they maybe added a few things in there that couldn't possibly be true, but I should read the books the series is based on. I already have "Helmet for my Pillow" and I picked up another yesterday the movie is based on. The one written by "Sledgehammer'.

I couldn't stop thinking about this for the next two days. It almost had the same effect on me as "World War 2 in HD". Despite being a documentary, that movie is far more engrossing and there's a lot more in it that I didn't know about World War 2. With WW2 in HD I was up some nights until 5am trying to finish it. With "The Pacific" sometimes I just felt like I couldn't wait to get to the next part. It'd be interesting to know what parts of the movie were added just for dramatic purposes. Probably very little since most of it is based on books.

I did like the movie, but I couldn't possibly give it a review. It's a very thought provoking movie and I do prefer it over "Band of Brothers". "Band of Brothers" felt more like an action movie to me in comparison.

If you want to watch a movie that gives you a similar feeling after you've experienced it, check out "Come and See" from Russia or "The Human Condition" from Japan. After watching "The Human Condition" I couldn't stop thinking about it for WEEKS. No joke. After watching it I had gotten the best sleep that night i've ever had in my entire life. It makes you appreciate every simple thing there is, even just getting to sleep in an actual bed. It's just weird how a movie can effect someone that much.

"Stalingrad" is another good one. I'm also a huge fan of "The Thin Red Line". That's one of my favorite war movies ever made, but I can see how some people would hate it. I've seen it dozens of times and never get sick of it.

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #6,612 of 24,643
Scotland PA: 6/10. Probably a  bigger deal if you are a shakespear nerd. But my father teaches american lit, so, eh, meh.

Zombieland: 8/10. The awesome quotient exceeds the 'good' quotient.

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #6,613 of 24,643
Just re-watched A Beautiful Mind - 6/10; it was quite painful to watch actually, I felt really bad for John Nash's character.  Seems it was necessary to include elements not true to the real-life likeness for Hollywood.

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #6,614 of 24,643

Three O'Clock High  8.1/10

A (the) classic bully movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094138/

Here, it's on Netflix. You'll like it:
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Three-O-Clock-High/60029779?strackid=5b4e8d7e1f617824_0_srl&strkid=510074471_0_0&trkid=438381#height1592

Proof (like we needed it) Roger Ebert is a maternal jackhole:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19871009/REVIEWS/710090303

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #6,615 of 24,643

4/10

Terrible movie. If you've ever read the book or are familiar with the original story, stay far away from this movie. Not only do they take extreme liberties with the story and make crap up, this movie is so disjointed it's not funny. It was as if they had all these requisite scenes or scenarios they had in mind, but had no idea how to add them in to the movie so the overall plot still flows smoothly. Instead, we get this "mosaic" of random scenes that make no sense.

The final battle just took the cake. Anyone who's seen it will know what I'm talking about.

This movie actually deserves less than 4/10. I was, in fact, generous with the 4 because they at least put in some effort with the costumes and sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back