Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Nov 6, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #6,617 of 24,667
Come and See - 7/10
Effective portrayal of suffering.  The unflinching audio really added to the stressful nature of the film.  I'd say it was an excellent film, but I can't say I enjoyed it.  Sort of the same reserved enthusiasm I felt about Requiem for a Dream.  For both films, I feel like I should watch them again, but I'm sort of frightened to...

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #6,618 of 24,667
Due Date - 6/10

I was desperate for a comedy and went to see it since I had the day off. Sure it's somewhat funny, but none of it is really laugh out loud funny. It was actually much worse than I expected. As far as road movie comedies go, the best one is obviously "Planes, Trains and Automobiles". I'm also one of the few people who LOVES "Dutch" despite how badly done some of it is. You have to like Ed O'Neill though (the dad from Married with Children) to find this one funny.

Due Date is worth a rental to me, but that's about it. BTW if it matters, I really do find zach galifianakis funny and I still didn't like it all that much. Just imagine his character from "The Hangover" in a full length movie and you have this.

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #6,619 of 24,667

I know what you mean about this movie. I didn't enjoy any minute of the movie, but I still find it a good war movie. It's hard for me to suggest to people or give it a rating.
Another movie similar to this is "The Ascent". It's actually made by the wife of the director of "Come and See"! "The Ascent" though is so terribly depressing that it made me angry after watching it. I just wanted to forget I had seen it. Probably the most depressing movie i've seen in my life.

Requiem for a Dream is also another movie I liked, but I'd prefer to never see a second time.
Quote:
Come and See - 7/10
Effective portrayal of suffering.  The unflinching audio really added to the stressful nature of the film.  I'd say it was an excellent film, but I can't say I enjoyed it.  Sort of the same reserved enthusiasm I felt about Requiem for a Dream.  For both films, I feel like I should watch them again, but I'm sort of frightened to...

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #6,620 of 24,667
Shutter Island - 7/10 - Predictable but enjoyable. I swear Leo plays the same guy in all his recent films. 

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #6,621 of 24,667
I still think Leo's best movie was "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" Anyone agree?
regular_smile .gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #6,623 of 24,667

Quote:
Serious Man was fantastic w/ respect to American Jewish culture and theology!  If you aren't familiar w/ the nuances of the Old Testament and the Hebrew God a lot will go right over your head.  Especially the ending.  It took me two views and reflection back on some college courses to piece it together.  

I will check that out man.)  Never heard of it btw.  I take it it's a Coen film?  I guess they've done so many now.

Raised a Catholic I'm afraid, but I'll give it a shot...

edit: just watched the trailer, 'were gonne be fine' lol
my mood what somewhat dampened while watching a preview of 'Come and See'.  I'm going to have to see this too..

Nov 7, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #6,625 of 24,667
Salt - 7.5/10

Interesting, but none of the actors made me feel like the characters were believable. 

Red - 7/10

Kind of funny at first, but got old and boring fast. Same formula, nothing new. Bruce Willis also seems like he's been playing a lot of the same characters for years now. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #6,627 of 24,667
Seven Samurai 9/10

The precursor of action movies. A must see.

Requiem for a Dream [10/10]

Watched it for the 5th or 6th time this weekend. Still brilliant IMO
One of several movies I give a 10/10 to.

Star Wars : A New Hope [7/10]

I've never been impressed by the Star Wars series, but this one is by far the best

up this week:
Once Upon a Time in the West
Citizen Kane
Haven't seen either of these, really looking forward to it

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #6,628 of 24,667

Quote:
Star Wars : A New Hope [7/10]  
I've never been impressed by the Star Wars series, but this one is by far the best

7/10?!? Sir, we can never be friends.
triportsad.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #6,629 of 24,667
The Wild Blue Yonder  9/10

I really enjoy this movie. Herzog doesn't quite make it obvious, but why should beauty be made obvious? An experience, to be sure.

I will add that the music does more than just attach itself to the rest of the movie. The music really seems to "exist" along with the images.

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #6,630 of 24,667
Jagged Edge - 5.5/10

Only the last few minutes made it worthwhile. I'm usually stupid when it comes to solving murder mysteries beforehand, but I knew who the killer was right away.

Being There - 9.5/10

One of my favorite comedies. I actually didn't like it all that much on the first viewing and it took a second viewing to fully appreciate it. I saw it for the 3rd or 4th time last night.
Peter Sellers got nominated for the Best Actor oscar for this movie and lost to Dustin Hoffman for "Kramer vs Kramer"!

Another of my favorite comedies is "Harry and Tonto". I'd give that a 10/10. That's another one that seemed twice as good on the second viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back