Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 31, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #6,571 of 24,663
Pieces Of April - 7.5/10

Katie Holmes is an urbanized toughie whose suburban family (led by Patricia Clarkson and Oliver Platt) are coming to the city for Thanksgiving dinner. (Insert estranged-family dramaturgy here.) Frankly, I didn't know Holmes could act, so the fact that she carries this strong little indie film says a lot. The supporting cast (Sean Hayes, Lillias White, Isaiah Whitlock, Jr., even the rapper SisQuo has a bit part) is just as excellent. Oh, and it turns out to be a fine setting for Stephin Merritt's literate love songs.

Nov 1, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #6,573 of 24,663
Back to the Future 1 - 9.5/10
Back to the Future 2 - 6.5/10
Back to the Future 3 - 8.5/10

BTW I've watched the trilogy at least a half a dozen times!

What's weird is that I love most all Robert Zemeckis movies, but absolutely HATE all of his CGI/3D movies in every way!
I went to see "A Christmas Carol" with my mom and both of us wanted to walk out of it. I'm not sure why we didn't.

I forgot another movie I saw recently:

The Terminal - 9/10
No, i'm not crazy. I saw this the first time in the theater and was disappointed in it. Saw it later on DVD and thought it was "OK".
Third time I LOVED it. Fourth viewing I again liked it a lot. For me, the movie doesn't get really good until halfway through.

I also love "Catch Me If you Can". I'd give that one a 10/10. For me, it's one of the most entertaining movies there is.

One last movie....

Floating Weeds - 10/10

I first saw this when I was 17 or 18 and just getting into subtitled movies (now 30). I don't think I had enough patience for it back then. I watched it again recently and loved every single minute of it.
I've seen about 70% of Yasujiro Ozu's US DVD releases and one of my recent favorites is "There was a Father". It comes in a Criterion two movie boxed set and it's worth every penny.

Nov 1, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #6,576 of 24,663

Quote:

What's weird is that I love most all Robert Zemeckis movies, but absolutely HATE all of his CGI/3D movies in every way!
I went to see "A Christmas Carol" with my mom and both of us wanted to walk out of it. I'm not sure why we didn't.

I guess you are not looking forward to Yellow Submarine then?
wink.gif

I am also not a big fan of his CG movies. They are all bad examples of motion capture-zombie eyes; wooden faces etc... Polar Express looks creepy and it was not meant to be.
Mind you I am actually a fan and love the Back to the future trilogy. I worked with him on Roger Rabbit when he was still a young director under Steven Spielberg's wings. It is funny that he actually won the Oscar for best director before Spielberg did.

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #6,579 of 24,663
With Honors - 6/10

I had a hard time taking any of this movie seriously. Joe Pesci wasn't that bad in it at least.

Watching "Grand Canyon" right now. Lawrence Kasdan really was one of the best screenwriters and directors in Hollywood. I miss all his good old movies. "Accidental Tourist" is a good place to start.

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #6,580 of 24,663
Animal Kingdom - 9.5/10

What an amazing and quite unassuming film.  I was totally sucked in to the brilliant characterisations of a family of working class criminals.  The film is very suspenseful, but in a subtle way.  You don't really notice what it's doing to you until the very end.

Animal Kingdom was the directors first feature film.  I hope that it's critical success (winner at Sundance this year) doesn't go to his head.

Highly recommended.

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #6,583 of 24,663

Quote:
Animal Kingdom - 9.5/10

What an amazing and quite unassuming film.  I was totally sucked in to the brilliant characterisations of a family of working class criminals.  The film is very suspenseful, but in a subtle way.  You don't really notice what it's doing to you until the very end.

Animal Kingdom was the directors first feature film.  I hope that it's critical success (winner at Sundance this year) doesn't go to his head.

Highly recommended.

That movie left the theaters before I could see it.  
frown.gif

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #6,584 of 24,663
Yeah, I'm not surprised it had a short run, not really blockbuster material.  The young guy in it is a typical brooding dead-s__t, a prisoner of his circumstances.  I remember I was like that once.

I saw it in DVD, which was fine.  Seek it out man, really worthwhile.  It'll give you a taste of bogan life in the boondocks of Australia 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back