Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 15, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #5,116 of 24,639
Away We Go... 8/10

I don't really know what to say about this film. It's got its flaws, sure, but... and I can't say exactly why... I really enjoyed this movie.

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #5,117 of 24,639

Wowz.

I cannot put it into words. The visuals were amazing. Everything was beautifully rendered in 3D. There were a few effects I'd never seen before in 3D movies such as depth of field. The sun beams looked especially nice. The whole jungle setting reminded me of Crysis. The storyline was rather predictable but it was very well done and invoked emotion nicely. Facial animations were fantastic.

The only negatives I can think of is the predictable story (although that's not a biggie for me) and I found the music annoying in one or two places. Not too big though. Overall it truly does set new standards.

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #5,119 of 24,639
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Away We Go... 8/10

I don't really know what to say about this film. It's got its flaws, sure, but... and I can't say exactly why... I really enjoyed this movie.

Agree on all counts. Not so much a John Krasinski fan, but Maya Rudolph is a totally underrated talent.

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #5,121 of 24,639
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wowz

I should of known the man with his finger on the pulse, would be first to submit a review of Avatar. So Wowz, really? It was that cool? You're speaking of the visuals of course?

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #5,122 of 24,639
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should of known the man with his finger on the pulse, would be first to submit a review of Avatar. So Wowz, really? It was that cool? You're speaking of the visuals of course?

I know, right? I can't believe I got to see it before it even started trending on Twitter!

The visuals were amazing, yes. The attention to detail, the sheer immersion of the environment was incredible. I really did get lost in the world of Pandora. I have never seen 3D done so well before either. Sunbeams looked especially amazing, and there was always something going on that helped to make the world so believable. The facial animations too were top notch and they helped portray emotion on the animated characters faces.

As for the movie itself, not too bad either. Sure the story was rather predictable, but I didn't find myself thinking much about that since I was blown away by the rest of it. Even though it was formulaic, it was extremely well done. Certain scenes had a pretty big emotional effect on me and I even found myself thinking about the morals of what was happening. Battle scenes were suitable intense and epic, as to be expected.

One of the best films of the year for me.

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #5,124 of 24,639
Thanks for the further breakdown fb. Got my tix for Friday and must say I'm rather excited. Your thoughts coincide a bit with my expectations for a Cameron joint - a thick slice of schmaltz smothered with rich gooey eye candy.

Dec 17, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #5,125 of 24,639
Atlantis. Luc Besson movie... It´s like a pink floyd concert something... Amazing audio/visual experience. Wish I got the bluray edition though you are always disappointed with such old films. Luc Besson is a pure genius that´s for sure.
Disappointed about getting a french dubbed version of le grande bleu though
frown.gif

As for Avatar going to watch the 3D version this weekend. I suspect this is a movie you need to see at home without tv to really start to dig about how good it´s. If it´s like some of the other 3D shows like Ice Age 3 for example you just get to awed by the extra immersion 3D shows bring you when done well
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #5,127 of 24,639
"The Fast Runner" - 9/10

This 2001 film is the first feature in the Inuktitut language (with English subtitles) spoken by the Inuit tribes of northern Canada. I found it to be a fascinating and enthralling immersion into Inuit culture, lifestyle and beliefs. The only metal objects I noticed in the entire movie were several knives. The subsistence nature of the existence has to be seen to be believed. The cast and crew (with the exception of the cinematographer) are all Inuit and their story and performance comes from actual experience. Captivating view of life and values. Recommended

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #5,128 of 24,639
what everyone else says: stunning and trite

Frozen River - 9/10
exactly the opposite of everything AVATAR is.

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #5,130 of 24,639
synecdoche new york - 2/10.

I like Philip Seymour Hoffman, ok? I'm a fan. I like almost all of his work.

But this movie is basically "Ow! My balls!" for PSH fans, and leaves me feeling like I've been pandered to.

A nearly incomprehensible, meandering, nonsensical plot serves only as a vehicle to bring PSH into ever more awkward scenarios. It's gratuitous, and i didn't enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back