Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 8, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #22,292 of 24,651
The Fanatic Review. Please watch.

Sep 9, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #22,293 of 24,651
Miracle at St. Anna - 4/10

A war movie so bad it deserved to sweep the razzies.
Really, it's nearly as bad as "The Monuments Men".
At least the last 20 minutes were good.

Bad everything in this one.
Yes, bad directing, acting, soundtrack, camera work and especially terrible dialogue.
I also was annoyed how during one scene with two people talking to each other they cut to a different camera angle like 20 times.
It's just so weird to me and annoying.

Path to War - 7.5/10

Pretty good movie about Lyndon B Johnson during the Vietnam war.
The acting was the best part and I'm not surprised Michael Gambon got nominated for an emmy for his acting in this one.
Lots of other good actors in this. Donald Sutherland, Phillip Baker Hall, Alec Baldwin etc.

PS currently stuck with only HBO GO as my only streaming service. It's really not good for movies!
I need to find an addicting tv series on there that isn't Game of Thrones.

I also watched "Chernobyl" a second time. Just as good the second time around.
Hard to believe such a long series could go by so fast.

Oh yeah....I also just watched....

The Pacific - 10/10

I prefer this by far to "The Band of Brothers". That show is a bit overrated but still good.
This one i've seen now about 4 times.
What makes this so good are the episodes with Eugene Sledge and "SNAFU".
Best episode I think is probably the hardest to watch and that's the one on Okinawa.
It's really too bad there was not enough time spent on the battle of Iwo Jima. Oh well.

I've read all the books this was based on and my favorite is "With the Old Breed".

PS I've heard rumors there will be a third HBO TV series like this. I hope it's true!

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #22,294 of 24,651
PS currently stuck with only HBO GO as my only streaming service. It's really not good for movies!
I need to find an addicting tv series on there that isn't Game of Thrones.

Assuming you haven’t watched them all, HBO has the best shows of all time.

Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Band of Brothers, The Leftovers, Carnivale, True Detective, From the Earth to the Moon, Treme, Patrick Melrose, Westworld, Six Feet Under, OZ, Boardwalk Empire, Generation Kill, Flight of the Conchords, Silicon Valley, Ballers, The Night Of, Barry, Sharp Objects, Show Me a Hero, The Deuce, etc...

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #22,295 of 24,651
Aquaman - 3/10

Luckily it was free. Somehow I finished it and not sure what the heck I just watched.
Movies like this are why I stopped seeing super hero and comic book movies.
The last good one I saw was "Guardians of the Galaxy 2".
Aquaman was not much fun to watch and just kind of boring.
Hard to also believe such a bad movie made over a billion dollars at the box office.

Looking forward to the Joker movie though since I like Joaquin Phoenix.

Sep 16, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #22,298 of 24,651
9.......2 extra points for “crazy”.

7F195DD7-5CB5-497C-A16E-BB267CFAF5E6.jpeg

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #22,299 of 24,651
Boardwalk Empire (Season 1) - 3/10

First few episodes were very good, but then it's just like they ran out of an interesting story to tell.
It seems to me they pad the running time every episode with extra nonsense that's not important to the story.
The scenes with Margaret Schroeder were especially hard to watch because of how bad they were.
Typical HBO portrayal of women too. It's kind of a little offensive because "Game of Thrones" had some similarities.
I guess you could say "Well, that's how women were treated back then". Uh huh.
For whatever reason, HBO thinks we need sex scenes and lots of nudity every episode.

None of the characters I like at all. None of them have any real personality. This is really the most fake TV show i've seen.
It's like most of them are sleepwalking with their eyes open and just saying their lines as slowly as possible.
Can't relate to any of them and there is not much to learn about any of them. Cardboard characters as they say.
Then of course they don't portray any of the murderers/criminals as being really bad people.

Nearly every episode is painfully boring to sit through. Reminded me of "True Detective" season 3.
I was originally going to give it a 4/10, but the last episode just dragged on and on.
I actually am not sure why I finished this season.

I guess there is one good thing about the show..I did like some of the set designs.
Steve Buscemi did a pretty good job at least.

Flight of the Phoenix - 6/10 (remake)

Obviously the original with Jimmy Stewart is a lot better, but nothing that good.
This is about a group of oil drillers who have their plane crash in the middle of a desert with no chance of rescue.
Pretty good cast, but mostly wasted due to a bad script.

Really awful soundtrack with poor choice of music during a death scene (from the band "Massive Attack"!).

BTW the original is starring Hardy Kruger. A really good movie with him is "The One that Got Away" about a German POW that escaped during a transfer to a camp in Canada.
It's based on a true story. Another WWII film that's usually overlooked.

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #22,301 of 24,651
They Shall Not Grow Old - 10/10

While watching this I thought I was just watching some CGI or reenactments made to look old.
Turns out I was 100% wrong and it's all real. Can't remember the last time I kept saying "WOW" so many times after seeing certain scenes.
Some of the best restoration work i've seen in a war documentary. It looks better than even any WWII footage i've seen too.

PS it's currently free on HBO NOW.

Sahara (1943) - 7.5/10

Old Humphrey Bogart WWII movie. One of the less racist WWII movies made in the 40s.
They even cast a black guy as a character and there was even some talk in here about views of different religions (including islam). Good to see.
I've seen dozens of WWII movies from the 40s and 50 and have never seen more than just white people in them as English speaking actors.
It's hard to believe that even in the 80's they still had "black face" characters in Hollywood.
Even on TV these days you can still see white people dressed with makeup to portray Native Americans.

Why We Fight - 8/10 (Prelude to War/1942).

This is an old WWII propaganda documentary directed by Frank Capra.
I saw the full series about 15 years ago and need to see it again.
I remember liking it and thinking it was pretty entertaining if you don't take it too seriously.
It was actually commissioned by the USA government during WWII.

Without getting into politics, this movie is even more scary to watch today. Reminds me a little of stuff like 1984.
It's frustrating how in this movie they keep saying that we all lived in what's like two worlds. The world of freedom and then the slave state (under dictators).
All while black people were segregated during WWII and Japanese-Americans had to live in internment camps (while their children were fighting FOR the USA!).

They also used a lot of racist stereotypes to describe the Japanese in this movie, but I won't go there.

Sep 20, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #22,303 of 24,651
Starting the well neglected Joan Crawford films!

Sep 20, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #22,304 of 24,651
"...Joan Crawford has risen, from the graaaaaaave
no, no no no, no no no no no no no no... "

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #22,305 of 24,651
spider man far from home - (6.5/10)

Boring children's movie. I'd rather spend my time on Toy Story (another children's movie) with some real wit than Marvel corniness.

I actually couldn't sit through the whole movie. Why are Marvel movies so damn boring (except Guardians)? There's nothing original about another Spiderman movie.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back