Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Nov 2, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #9,047 of 24,687

Quote:
The Stoning Of Soraya M - 9/10

Good movie.  People that want to bail on Afghanistan should watch that.  (Skulking off into the darkness now.....)

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #9,048 of 24,687

Quote:
Akira - 9/10

Not a fan of any sort of anime, watched it after a bout of nostalgia from when I was a kid. 
Man this movie was amazing. The animation was mind boggling. Hell of a lot of time, love and money went into making it.
I still don't understand why some people had to watch the film multiple times to understand it. I found the plot straight forward, a lot of the context briefly skimmed but still within comprehension of the viewer. Curious now to check out the entire epic.

The animation still has me in awe.

If you want to watch another more modern hand drawn anime. Check out Redline, every frame was drawn by hand and it looks absolutely stunning for it. Its like a more bada$$ version of Speed Racer.

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #9,050 of 24,687

Dr Caligari remade by Stephen Sayadian in 1989 is the only other movie I have seen with this color and style except the B/W original 1920s German one. This 2011 movie has been influenced by the 1989 Sayadian movie 100%. Bunraku is also influenced by the comics and video games as well as japanese sword epics.

Fantastic 10 score.

Nov 5, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #9,051 of 24,687
 The Hangover 2

Liked it. Stupid and funny it gets a 7.

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #9,052 of 24,687
In a Better World - 8/10

Heavy handed, mawkish and pretentious all in one movie! Halfway in I felt I could have gotten the same messages from any episode of "Leave it to Beaver". Luckily it got better 75% of the way into the movie and it made the slower first half worthwhile.

Somehow when watching this I had sort of a detached feeling at times. Things that should make me teary eyed didn't really have much effect on me. Am I just that cold blooded? I don't think so. There is one scene that really got to me, but the movie wasn't really a tear jerker or anything. Just not easy or fun to watch. Not really depressing either.

What's annoying is that I bought this movie (stupid me) and now Sony has ads plastered all over the top right of the movie in a box. Their Blu-Rays are so overpriced and then they do this.

BTW I did like the soundtrack, acting and cinematography. There is some over-acting, but nothing too bad.

Nov 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #9,055 of 24,687
Insidious

8    pretty good

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #9,057 of 24,687
The Shawshank Redemption 5/5

I have seen this movie several times and I was watching it with my wife whom had never seen the film before.  Even after seeing it multiple times it still has the ability to evoke many emotional responses throughout.  Definitely one of my favorite films.

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #9,058 of 24,687
Guns of Navarone -  7.75/10

This has gone way downhill after so many viewings. On the first viewing I loved it. Now after half a dozen viewings it's kind of a bore. Still worth watching though. I recently just upgraded my DVD of it to blu-ray. Don't bother, the blu-ray isn't any better than the DVD version really. Good thing it's $15 at Best Buy.

BTW two of the main actors teamed up again for "Sea Wolves". I gave that one a 7/10 and that was kind of a bit high.

Nov 7, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #9,059 of 24,687
It's been way too long since my last post.

Synecdoche, New York - 8/10
Didn't make much sense, but so chill.

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad - 7/10
Mr. Toad was fast-paced and exciting. The Wind in the Willows is one of my favorite books. Ichabod was not as interesting to me. I have not read Sleepy Hollow, but I feel like Disney lightened up the subject matter a ton.

The Orphanage - 8/10
Never screaming-scary, but very suspenseful. Sad story, weird ending (neither good nor bad IMO).

Half Nelson - 8/10
A chill movie. Reminded me a bit of Precious, since it involves personal problems that are eased by education.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back