Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 2, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #6,438 of 24,684

Quote:
Netflix…"Instant play", believe it or not…

frown.gif

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #6,439 of 24,684
Akira Kurosawa's "One Wonderful Sunday" -  2/4

It's worth watching, but I found this movie terribly boring and just painfully slow. Some scenes dragged on FOREVER. I have a LOT of patience.
One of them takes place in a man's apartment where he does nothing but sit around and be depressed for about 15 minutes.
Later, his girlfriend arrives and she cries for about what seems like 10 minutes straight. Not sure the purpose of this.
Towards the end he pretends he's a conductor for about...20 minutes? I lost track. It has some worthwhile messages though.

Basically the movie is about a poor couple trying to survive after the end of World War II in Tokyo.

Strangely I find Yasujiro Ozu movies more entertaining then a lot of Kurosawa stuff. Not sure why that is, but it usually seems to be the other way around for most people.

My favorite Kurosawa movie is "Red Beard", but "Ran" got me into foreign films. I also loved "The Lower Depths".

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - 3.5/4

This is one of my favorite Steve Martin movies. "The Jerk" might be more funny overall, but it's mixed in with a lot of stuff that isn't even remotely funny. Of course "Plaines, Trains and Automobiles" one of his best too. I sure wish Steve Martin would make some more comedies.

Oct 3, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #6,441 of 24,684

Quote:
 i watched rashomon not too long ago, hated every other minute of it

Yeah I'm not a fan of that movie, but I haven't seen it since I was 16 (now 30). His movies with me are hit or miss. I prefer Kenji Mizoguchi or Ozu movies.

Oct 3, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #6,442 of 24,684

"The Blind Side" [7.0/10]: A good "movie of the week." Not the great movie many told me that it was. "The Blind Side" was not even one of the more inspirational sports films that Hollywood frequently releases. However, it was worth the watch. I'm glad that I saw it on HBO rather than paid the money to see it in the theater.

Oct 3, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #6,443 of 24,684

Quote:

"The Blind Side" [7.0/10]: A good "movie of the week." Not the great movie many told me that it was. "The Blind Side" was not even one of the more inspirational sports films that Hollywood frequently releases. However, it was worth the watch. I'm glad that I saw it on HBO rather than paid the money to see it in the theater.

manly tears were shed, maybe its just me

Oct 3, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #6,444 of 24,684
Sphere 2/5 this movie was pretty bad, hadnt watched it in a long time, and it didnt age well.

the 4th kind 2/5 also pretty bad, and not scary at all, at least i didnt think so, i even watched it at 1 in the morning

Surrogates 3/5 certainly not a bad movie, but for a better made movie with a similar "point" watch I, Robot

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #6,446 of 24,684
hurt locker - 7/10

let the right one in -9/10 (glad to hear the remake is getting good reviews). Chloe Moretz was brilliant in Kick Ass.  I really want her to be in good films.

no country for old men - 10/10

Oct 4, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #6,447 of 24,684

Lilya 4-ever

I really, really liked it. I'm just not sure if I love it.  A great performance from the Russian actress. Some bits from the film were a little cliche, but I'm going to mainly overlook that in my rating. Also, I hated the loud  metal rock at the beginning and the end. I just hated it.

8.75/10

Edit: What the heck! I'll round it up to a 9. An 8.5 just didn't feel right.
Edit: Now I'm feeling too generous. 8.75 it is.

Oct 4, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #6,448 of 24,684

Quote:

let the right one in -9/10 (glad to hear the remake is getting good reviews). Chloe Moretz was brilliant in Kick Ass.  I really want her to be in good films.

no country for old men - 10/10

let the right one in -8/10 

let me in (US remake) - 9/10  Very rarely does the US make a good remake of a foreign film but this is an exception.  Better polish and execution all around than the original.

no country for old men - 8/10.  I love the Coen brothers and the movie was really well filmed but the story just required too much suspension of common sense for me to appreciate more.

Case 39 - 8/10 till the ending, 7/10 after.

Dandelion Dust - 7.75/10

Social Network - 7.5/10

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #6,450 of 24,684
"The Green Mile"

I Know this is at least the tenth time my step-son and I've watched it again! I do believe we have every line down pat!  It makes my wife just shake her head at us, Both of us,yelling out the lines before each actor says them......It is/was a good flick.......I did see "Catch Me If You Can" the other night on TV.... I never saw that "one" at the theaters when it came out, pretty good..Leonardo and Hanks together in that one........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back