Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 25, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #6,406 of 24,664

Quote:
Repo Men - 7/10. Predictable but wasn't bad at all. Ending was oh snap didn't see that coming at all kinda thing.
Predators - 4/10. They seriously are milkin' it and this latest one is not even that entertainin' to watch. A amateurish copycat that fails abysmally.

I thought the premise of Repo Men was ridiculous, then they had to explain it to us...ugh... and I wasn't sypathetic to the main character at all so  3/10.

Opeth: In Live Concert At The Royal Albert Hall. 2DVD, 3CD
Better than Roundhouse, not as good as Lamentations. For any Opeth fan, a must have.
8/10

Sep 25, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #6,407 of 24,664
The Town [2/4]

I'm trying to figure out why I can't like this movie since everyone in the world seems to love it. I guess my problem was that I found none of the characters interesting at all. I have a ton of patience, but I found the first hour painfully dull and boring. I could not get into ANY of it. It doesn't help that i've seen this whole story done better elsewhere. How many movies do we need where the guy needs to do "one last job"? Have they run out of ideas? I probably sound like a brain-dead idiot, but I only liked the car chases and the last shoot-out towards the end. I almost was going to walk out of it. Strangely, "Heat" is much slower, but more interesting for me and I prefer that movie, which is similar. I'd give that one a 3/4.

Don't trust my rating since I also hated "Inception" and had a similar reaction. I'm not sure how "Inception" could bore me to death, but it did. I guess I need more character development and a better story.

Seems likely I've hated most movies i've seen in the theaters, but loved most of the movies i've rented.

Sep 26, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #6,408 of 24,664

Quote:
The Town [2/4]

I'm trying to figure out why I can't like this movie since everyone in the world seems to love it. I guess my problem was that I found none of the characters interesting at all. I have a ton of patience, but I found the first hour painfully dull and boring. I could not get into ANY of it. It doesn't help that i've seen this whole story done better elsewhere. How many movies do we need where the guy needs to do "one last job"? Have they run out of ideas? I probably sound like a brain-dead idiot, but I only liked the car chases and the last shoot-out towards the end. I almost was going to walk out of it. Strangely, "Heat" is much slower, but more interesting for me and I prefer that movie, which is similar. I'd give that one a 3/4.

Don't trust my rating since I also hated "Inception" and had a similar reaction. I'm not sure how "Inception" could bore me to death, but it did. I guess I need more character development and a better story.

x2  At least we agree on movies. 
tongue.gif
 My explanation is that they are both overly pretentious and logically flawed.  

Wall Street (2010) 8.25/10

You Again 8.5/10

Guardians of Gahoole 6.75/10 story, 9.75/10 animation, 8/10 overall.  Amazing eyecandy and rendering.

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #6,410 of 24,664

Quote:
Anaxilus.

I never got Forrest Whitaker, but his turn on "The Shield" was the last straw - thesp dial to 11 and wildly out of tune with ... well... Farmington.

He just seems out of place in almost every movie.  If there is one Forrest Whitaker movie to see it's 'Ghost Dog'.  If you like 'Ghost Dog' I'd recommend 'Dead Man' also, both Jim Jarmusch movies.  

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #6,411 of 24,664
Bang on.

Concur on Jim Jarmusch. He always has the neat trick of doing movies that by rights should be worthy, dull, pretentious and up themselves. Yet aren't.

Thanks for reminding me. Because of that, the breakfast soundtrack right now is "One from The Heart" * which I now intend to watch again. Soon.

*probably needless footnote, in this buffy context, but for anyone unfamiliar, or young, even: Sung by Tom Waits and Crystal Gayle. Yes, it is exactly as good as you'd imagine a duet like that would be. Manages to sound like how the film looks. Can't rate it any higher than that
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #6,415 of 24,664

Quote:
If you'd like to see something jaw-droppingly bad by Ridley Scott, check out Legend, the directors cut.

Yes, you're certainly correct. Believe me, these two films are not far apart with regard to quality. However, after all of the good films that Scott has created between then and now I would think that a "Robin Hood" wouldn't be possible. I guess we all make a misstep now and then regardless of experience....

Sep 26, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #6,416 of 24,664
Ajami - 8.5/10

More proof that Israeli cinema is in a renaissance period, this startlingly realistic drama set in the Tel-Aviv-linked Arab town Jaffa is a triumph of both humanism and bleakness. Starts out with a mistaken-dentity drive-by shooting and subtly morphs, in its non-linear way, into a clear-eyed exposition of life under occupation that leaves no one (Israeli cops, legal and illegal workers, judges) unscathed. They say the stars are non-actors from the hood, but the plots are so authentic that not once did I find myself thinking, "Oh, they must've found that player on the street". Directors: Scandar Copti and Yaron Shani.

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #6,417 of 24,664

Quote:
Ajami - 8.5/10

More proof that Israeli cinema is in a renaissance period....

Wish I could believe that.  Lebanon was a horrible movie.  Biggest disappointment of the year for me so far.

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #6,418 of 24,664
The Town: 7/10

I walked away liking it a lot; but the more I think about it, the more I think it failed in its character development.  You have to suspend too much disbelief to agree with some of the relationships.

Sep 27, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #6,419 of 24,664
The Town:

6/10

Lackluster IMHO. I don't know what all the fuss was about.

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #6,420 of 24,664

8/10

I really enjoyed it! It was funny as well as heartwarming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back