Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 10, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #16,471 of 24,690
Golden Compass (7/10): I didn't have very high expectations going in based on the poor reviews I saw but I was very pleasantly surprised. Strong visuals, simple but important message (dogma, in all of its forms, is dangerous), good acting. The protagonist in particular is exceptional. Not a perfect movie but I was entertained the whole time which is all I really want from movies anyways.

Snowpiercer (8.5/10): I did have quite high expectations for this one and they were met for the most part. A great premise with a well structured plot, above average acting, a great diverse set of characters, and fantastic visuals. The movie is full of cool scenes. One after another. There were numerous times during the movie where I was thinking "Woah! I've never seen anything like this before."  I think what makes this movie great is how human the characters are despite the bizarre circumstances. There were a couple of times where the movie lost my interest but for the most part, the film keeps it's foot on the gas pedal. A definite must-see.

Seven Years in Tibet: (6.5/10): If you can get past Brad Pitt's accent then this is a very enjoyable movie. Didn't really do anything revolutionary as far as I could tell but the plot is compelling on a number levels and interesting, although a bit slow at times, throughout. 

​Safety not Guaranteed (6/10): Due to the relatively unscripted nature of this movie (as well as the mumblecore movement in general) there are times when the dialogue can be downright painful but for the most part it feels more natural than the usual hollywood movie and if nothing else it really is a breath of fresh air to hear dialogue presented in such a way. I Imagine this film won't be for everyone but if you are looking for something different it is definitely worth giving a chance. If you are a fan of the mumblecore movement then it is a no-brainer to watch this one if you haven't yet. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #16,473 of 24,690
Last movie i watched? Interstellar. Wow, i really don't watch as many movies as i used to. I would rate it as 9.5/10.

I also really enjoyed the Soundtrack. Perhaps Hans Zimmers best work, imho of course. I'm usually much more of a John Williams guy.

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #16,474 of 24,690
The Secret of Kells: 9.67/10

Stylish, beautiful, and imaginative. The Secret of Kells is a brilliant movie, with a great story.

Ernest & Celestine: 9.3/10

What a beautiful watercolour animation. Such style, such elegance...

One flaw: too short. Can have more content, e.g., how society object them, how to get food, how to live together (especially when something like a mouse and a bear live together, there would be conflict. I mean, husband and wife do argue, you can't just agree on everything...)... What a missed opportunely. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #16,475 of 24,690
American Sniper - 8/10

It was like a mixture of Full Metal Jacket and We Were Soldiers. Pretty interesting stuff and gives you an idea of the mindset of some American troops at the time of the Iraq War. The timeline of the movie advances pretty quickly; it's a little disconcerting actually but I suppose otherwise the movie would be four hours long. Bradley Cooper is very good in this, probably his best role.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #16,476 of 24,690
Agreed. The entire movie is pretty bland in terms of the story and most of the cast. It's nothing but two hours of Denzel Washington being super badass -- nothing more, nothing less.

Agreed, The Equaliser is totally bland and boring apart from the few interspersed action scenes.

One of the worst Denzel Washington films ever if not the worst IMO.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #16,477 of 24,690
The Jersey Boys
Great music and sound. Plug the Blu-Ray into a good home theater system and crank it up loud. A fun movie to hear.

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #16,480 of 24,690
  Jackie Brown: (9.5/10): Finally got around to seeing this. Probably the best film I've seen since I saw Django in theaters. 

I think that's sort of the forgotten Tarantino film...I agree it was really damn good. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #16,481 of 24,690
Jackie Brown: (9.5/10): Finally got around to seeing this. Probably the best film I've seen since I saw Django in theaters. 

I've not seen that movie but will add it to my list as you've given it such a high score :)

But I have seen Pulp Fiction 6.5/10

I actually got really confused with this movie as it kept moving between sub plots so much, plus there are some really gross parts too.

I know this is regarded as maybe a "classic" movie to many, but I just didn't really get it?

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #16,482 of 24,690
Leviathan ( 2014) 9/10

The film was shot in 2013 and an idea of it was born years before. When it was ready for release in 2014 dramatic changes happened in Russian society. Most of independent media were destroyed, the biggest news agencies were acquired by state controlled companies, chauvinistic revanchist anti-west hysteria in Russian society was overwhelming, the Russian Orthodox Church became a power again after a century of humiliation by Soviets.

Leviathan is the first Zvyagintsev's film which has such a strong dissident anti-state message in it. So far he was more restrained in this regard. 

The Hollywood Reporter '​s critic Leslie Felperin was taken by surprise by the fact that a film critical of corruption in Vladimir Putin's Russia was granted support from the Russian Ministry of Culture. 

Well, Soviets supported financially Tarkovsky though he was their ideological enemy. They also sent Leviathan to Oscar because they value national success at international arena though they are clearly not happy with this film.

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #16,483 of 24,690
  Leviathan ( 2014) 9/10

The film was shot in 2013 and an idea of it was born years before. When it was ready for release in 2014 dramatic changes happened in Russian society. Most of independent media were destroyed, the biggest news agencies were acquired by state controlled companies, chauvinistic revanchist anti-west hysteria in Russian society was overwhelming, the Russian Orthodox Church became a power again after a century of humiliation by Soviets.

Leviathan is the first Zvyagintsev's film which has such a strong dissident anti-state message in it. So far he was more restrained in this regard. 

Well, Soviets supported financially Tarkovsky though he was their ideological enemy. They also sent Leviathan to Oscar because they value national success at international arena though they are clearly not happy with this film.

Leviathan is probably one of my most anticipated films of last year, along with Inherent Vice. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #16,484 of 24,690

Leviathan is probably one of my most anticipated films of last year, along with Inherent Vice. 

The film was shot pretty close to Russia - Finland borders in Murmansk district. Have you seen Silent Souls ( 2010)

Although the movie tells about traditions of a people ethnically related to Finns, there is really nothing in the movie that would resemble anything in Scandinavia. These Meryan people merged with Slavs about a thousand years ago, and their own language disappeared in the 16th century. Apparently some of their ancient customs still live, if this movie is to be believed.

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #16,485 of 24,690
But I have seen Pulp Fiction 6.5/10

I actually got really confused with this movie as it kept moving between sub plots so much, plus there are some really gross parts too.

I know this is regarded as maybe a "classic" movie to many, but I just didn't really get it?

I think it's pretty divided along gender lines. Every guy I know, including myself, considers it one of their favorite films of all time. But aside from a few exceptions, most girls I know are less enthusiastic about it. As for me, it's one of only two films that I have ever re-watched back to back. I couldn't get enough of it after the first viewing...just had to fire it up again when the girlfriend got home. 

Have you ever seen True Romance? Tarantino didn't direct that one but he did write it, and it's also among my favorite films ever. You'd probably like that one better than Pulp Fiction. Really good flick with a hilarious cameo from Brad Pitt. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back