Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 5, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #16,457 of 24,677
  Spot on. Tom Hardy has a real engaging characteristic to him.

He's on my short list of favorite actors for sure. A spot (unfortunately) opened up with the passing of my favorite actor, Phillip Seymour-Hoffman :frowning2:  

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #16,458 of 24,677
The Judge - 6.5/10

Very well-acted but at times feels clichéd and a little like a sappy made-for-tv movie.

The commercial looked awful to me. Like they were trying to recapture some early 90's movie glory and missed the mark by a country mile.

He's on my short list of favorite actors for sure. A spot (unfortunately) opened up with the passing of my favorite actor, Phillip Seymour-Hoffman :frowning2:  

Yea, I agree. And especially about the short list part.

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #16,459 of 24,677
As usual given the movie geek I am I watched a ton of movies during the holidays and forgot 90% of them right away. 
Finally got to see Interstellar as I've always watched all of Christopher Nolan movies with a friend of mine who went to UK, so he and I managed to wait till he got back to go to the cinema and after all this wait I'm not impressed. Not at all. Not even the science behind it is anything more than wild guess and when I say I'm a movie geek, I am - I vividly remember the moment when Jonathan Nolan started going to physics classes and study string theory and Interstellar as a title was announced and rumored, which was like a decade ago and that's what they come up with? 6/10 for the effort
I'll have to put some thought into it and also make a lit of my top movies of 2014. At the moment I can only say the best horror movie and that's The Den coz it's the only movie that creeped me out and yeah, I saw The Babadook. Oh, and the worst high-profile movies a re Transcendence and Noah but if I'm sure I can come up with a few more. As far as the best overall, still haven't seen Nightcrawler and Birdman, so at the moment it's between Boyhood, Whiplash and Still Alice.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #16,460 of 24,677
Boyhood: 10/10

I can't review this movie because I'm too young. All I can say is it is a certain unique way to tackle a growing up story.

The Book of life: 8.8/10

Very creative, very stylish and very colourful, while true to the film's message. The Book of Life is a colourful tale that will keep children entertain and educated while their parents trying to have time to value the art style, colourfulness world in this fast pacedness.

Seriously though, Ice Cube as one of the gods??? I better start smoking weed...

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #16,461 of 24,677
Quest for Fire - 9/10

Movie about a tribe of men 80,000 years ago trying to find fire. They didn't know how to create it so they had to go out and search for it.
I didn't realize how dumb these early men were until later in the movie. Pretty funny how similar some people today are compared to the people back then.
Just watch two men fight each other, like in a baseball game or whatever. Not much difference. Some animals these days even seem smarter than early man.

I can't imagine them making a movie like this these days. Can you imagine someone like Tom Cruise or Leonardo Dicaprio playing the role of an ape-like man?
Will Ferrell could do it. The hard part of making this movie though would have been NOT turning it into a comedy!

Oh and this is the first movie i've seen with an invented language! No subtitles or anything.

BTW the Woolly Mammoth scenes reminded me something from Skyrim. They didn't use real Woolly Mammoth's (dang PETA), but the fake ones were pretty convincing!
The Saber Tooth tigers were real though!

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #16,462 of 24,677
  Quest for Fire - 9/10

Fantastic movie. I'll have to watch that again.

Now You See Me - 4.7/10

When a group of illusionists are "mysteriously" called together to perform a series of heists, it's up to an two government agents and a magician debunker to solve the case. The synopsis alone should have warned me about what was to come. Cheesy dialog and a poor ending really bogged down this movie for me, and the overall story is truly ridiculous. It's clear that the writers tried too hard to surprise the audience.

I wanted to enjoy the flick, but it was impossible. I cringed multiple times at the unintended utter silliness of this film. Michael Caine's acting was one of few upsides to the movie.

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #16,464 of 24,677
71 - 2014  9/10   A poor squaddie gets left behind after a riot in Belfast in 1971. In the brief span of one film pretty much summarizes up the internecine relationships that came together to form "The Troubles" in Northern Ireland at the time. If you only ever see one film on the subject this would be the one. It suffers only from an ending that is not on par with the rest of the films content.

American Sniper. 2014 7/10.  Really wanted to like this film but with the main character being such a controversial figure thesedays it almost looks like Eastwood took the same route he did with J. Edgar in cherrypicking the content. What you wind up with is a film SHOT like Full Metal Jacket but with dialogue and characters put into a very narrow perspective. I cannot help but feel that this film would have benefited from being made 5 years later. Still Eastwood will probably sweep the Oscars with it, just because.

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #16,465 of 24,677
Gone Girl -- 8.5/10

Absolutely brilliant movie. I was hooked to the very end. All I can say is after watching that movie I am more afraid of women now.

Don't be afraid of women, just be afraid of psychopaths as they are unisex.

As for Gone Girl, I actually rated it lesser than you but do plan to watch it again because I think I rated it less due to getting the run time wrong before actually watching it and thought it ran for 1hr 30mins, so was not prepared for the actual much more longer run time.

Annie 2014 6.5/10

Loved this :)

Great musical and general feel good movie.

TAK3N 5.5/10

Good but not anywhere near as great the first film, or even the second one for that matter, definitely weakest of the three but still worth watching if you liked the other two Taken's, only this third instalment just does not have the pace of the former two and feels like a very different movie because of this.

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #16,466 of 24,677
The Equalizer: 6/10

It is exactly what you'd expect from a Denzel Washington film. It's like Man on Fire, except less creative with the camerawork and less creative with the supporting cast. There is nothing in this movie that hasn't been seen before, but if you're in the mood for some formulaic ultra-violence, this movie is worth a watch.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #16,467 of 24,677
Selma - 9/10

I liked it a lot and have to admit i'm pretty clueless about the history here. Ugh, I wasn't even aware of the march from Selma to Montgomery.
People I know have asked things like "Why is it called Selma?". Well now I know.

Even worse yet I didn't realize african-americans didn't get to vote until late 1965. Hardly seems possible.

Maybe a 9.5 for this..not sure.

I really need to read up on my history.

BTW for me it was much different than other movies with similar subjects. It's a bit slow and only a couple scenes could have been cut or shortened.

Beach Red - 7.75/10

Older WWII movie based on a book. I was surprised how realistic this was. It got many things right (based on what i've read). One of the very few american WWII movies that portray the Japanese as human beings.
The only other one that comes to mind is maybe "Letters from Iwo Jima".
The flashbacks of life back at home were terrible.

One other very realistic WWII movie I like is called "Away all Boats". It might bore some people though. WWII veterans who were in the navy might love it.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #16,468 of 24,677
  The Equalizer: 6/10

It is exactly what you'd expect from a Denzel Washington film. It's like Man on Fire, except less creative with the camerawork and less creative with the supporting cast. There is nothing in this movie that hasn't been seen before, but if you're in the mood for some formulaic ultra-violence, this movie is worth a watch.

Agreed. The entire movie is pretty bland in terms of the story and most of the cast. It's nothing but two hours of Denzel Washington being super badass -- nothing more, nothing less.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #16,469 of 24,677
Inherent Vice (2014: 8/10

Great movie. But don't ask me to talk about it yet, because I don't quite know what to say. I need to see it again.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #16,470 of 24,677
  Selma - 9/10

I liked it a lot and have to admit i'm pretty clueless about the history here. Ugh, I wasn't even aware of the march from Selma to Montgomery.
People I know have asked things like "Why is it called Selma?". Well now I know.

Even worse yet I didn't realize african-americans didn't get to vote until late 1965. Hardly seems possible.

Maybe a 9.5 for this..not sure.

I really need to read up on my history.

BTW for me it was much different than other movies with similar subjects. It's a bit slow and only a couple scenes could have been cut or shortened.

I don't know if you live anywhere near Atlanta, but if you ever want an amazingly surreal and moving experience, head over to the Ebenezer Baptist Church downtown and sit in the pews while you listen to recordings of MLK preaching. His incredible words combined with the emotional impact of knowing he delievered them from only a few feet away from where you sit, is nearly overwhelming. One of the most memorable experiences of my life. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back