Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 13, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #16,486 of 24,690
Jan 13, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #16,487 of 24,690
I think it's pretty divided along gender lines. Every guy I know, including myself, considers it one of their favorite films of all time. But aside from a few exceptions, most girls I know are less enthusiastic about it. As for me, it's one of only two films that I have ever re-watched back to back. I couldn't get enough of it after the first viewing...just had to fire it up again when the girlfriend got home. 

Have you ever seen True Romance? Tarantino didn't direct that one but he did write it, and it's also among my favorite films ever. You'd probably like that one better than Pulp Fiction. Really good flick with a hilarious cameo from Brad Pitt. 

Thanks for the True Romance recommendation!

I will definately add it to my watch list :)

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #16,488 of 24,690
I've not seen that movie but will add it to my list as you've given it such a high score
smily_headphones1.gif

But I have seen Pulp Fiction 6.5/10

I actually got really confused with this movie as it kept moving between sub plots so much, plus there are some really gross parts too.

I know this is regarded as maybe a "classic" movie to many, but I just didn't really get it?

Jackie Brown is quite a bit more streamlined than pulp fiction but if you didn't care too much for pulp fiction you may not enjoy this one much either. Pulp Fiction is one of the very few films (less than 10-15 probably) that I would give a "10."  To me it's one of the greatest films of all time. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #16,489 of 24,690
Taken 3    3/10             No, just no. Where to start, script written by Besson on a cocktail napkin over a three martini lunch. Gives the entire plot away in the first scene. Neeson looking unbelievably decrepit, like he's in pain just trying to run. Complete waste of Forrest Whittaker . Car crashes and shooting and a happy ending.:wink:

Lets just call this one "The White Equalizer" and hopefully both series will be at an end. Though knowing Besson's licensing propensities we can probably look forward to Taken the TV series where some guy boosts Liams Seniors ID and would pay the horrible price for it if only it wasn't for the Alzhiemers playing him up. "I have a very specific set of skills. But without my meds I can't remember what they are."

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #16,490 of 24,690
Jackie Brown is quite a bit more streamlined than pulp fiction but if you didn't care too much for pulp fiction you may not enjoy this one much either. Pulp Fiction is one of the very few films (less than 10-15 probably) that I would give a "10."  To me it's one of the greatest films of all time. 

I guess "Jackie Brown" may not be for me but thanks for the heads up :)

Taken 3    3/10             No, just no. Where to start, script written by Besson on a cocktail napkin over a three martini lunch. Gives the entire plot away in the first scene. Neeson looking unbelievably decrepit, like he's in pain just trying to run. Complete waste of Forrest Whittaker . Car crashes and shooting and a happy ending.:wink:

Lets just call this one "The White Equalizer" and hopefully both series will be at an end. Though knowing Besson's licensing propensities we can probably look forward to Taken the TV series where some guy boosts Liams Seniors ID and would pay the horrible price for it if only it wasn't for the Alzhiemers playing him up. "I have a very specific set of skills. But without my meds I can't remember what they are."

I get what you are saying, and for me Taken 3 just totally felt like a different movie from the other two in as much as it just did not have the kind of pace the first two had :frowning2:

But Liam Neeson is much better in Non Stop 6/10

He plays an air Marshall on a flight where a mystery passenger/terrorist communicates via text demanding a ransom that if not paid will result in a passenger being killed every 20mins.

Pretty tense and great action suspense movie :)

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #16,491 of 24,690
Haven't watch Taken 3 (or shall I say T3ken, oh titles...) but Taken 2 makes me superbly disappointed, especially the final battle between that fat mob guy and Liam Neeson. WHAT THE ****!!!!!! YOU CAN KILL SOMEBODY BY GRABBING SOMEONE'S HEAD AND HAMMER IT TO THE WALL ONCE????!!!!!!!! What's the point to use guns. 'Oh you're attacking me..' Grabs the head 'Suck it' PLACK!!! The family is also awkwardly written. IF I'M A WOMAN WHO GOT KIDNAPPED BY MOBSTERS AND FORCED TO PROSITUDE, I WOULD LAY ON MY BED AT HOME AND CRYING!!!!! AND NOOOTTTTT BEEIIINNNGGGG ******* COOL ABOUT THAT!!!!! AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! ******* BOLLOCKS!!!!!

Additionally, it's boring.

I giving it 2/10 since I seen worse movies than this, for example Transformers Age of Extinction.

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #16,492 of 24,690
Did you miss the hook on the wall :wink:

I don´t see the reason to see Taken 3. I have seen liam do that role in close to 10 movies by now. He is getting more predictable then arnold schwarzenegger!

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #16,496 of 24,690
Theory of Everything (Stephen Hawking biopic)  7/10

Saw this at the cinema last night with my wife.  I'd like it to have been a bit more about the science, but it does work as a touching portrayal of how a relationship copes through a degenerative disease like ALS. Most impressive were the performances, particularly Eddie Redmayne in the lead role.

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #16,497 of 24,690
Did you see the oscar nominations? What a joke!
Not watching them this year.

Boyhood, Theory of Everything and Grand Budapest Hotel getting a best picture nomination?! Huh?!

Nomination for Interstellar for best sound mixing, but not Best Director or picture. The sound mixing was CRAP.
Not really the soundtrack itself..

The one thing they got right was "Unbroken" not getting many nominations.

Have to say that Eddie Redmayne did deserve a nomination, but I didn't like the movie. Funny that it got a nomination for it's excessively overdone soundtrack.
The one that's designed to suck tears out of your face X 10.

Surprised Lauren Dern got nominated for her role in "wild". She did well but it was a very small role. Reese Witherspoon deserved her nomination too I think.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #16,498 of 24,690

Boyhood, Theory of Everything and Grand Budapest Hotel getting a best picture nomination?! Huh?!

Nomination for Interstellar for best sound mixing, but not Best Director or picture. The sound mixing was CRAP.

Have to say that Eddie Redmayne did deserve a nomination, but I didn't like the movie. Funny that it got a nomination for it's excessively overdone soundtrack.

Surprised Lauren Dern got nominated for her role in "wild". She did well but it was a very small role. Reese Witherspoon deserved her nomination too I think.

Yeah. Theory of Everything seems a stretch as a best picture candidate.  How that got in and not Selma...bizarre (perhaps it's the 12 Years a Slave effect).  I'm not surprised at Grand Budapest Hotel getting the nod though...it's just the kind of quirky stuff the Academy like, although I want to kick Wes Anderson for matting it to 4:3.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #16,499 of 24,690

Well, a joke as usual for the last few years. But Interstellar does not deserve a nomination for best motion picture - it was extremely mediocre - not as bad as Gravity last year but still quite average. Nominating it would be like nominating something like Sunshine. I'm more surprised that Still Alice wasn't nominated for best picture and why the hell is American Sniper nominated?
Still haven't watched Birdman but I personally am not mighty impressed with any of the movies this year - I will be rooting for J.K. Simmons though coz he was great in Whiplash and the same goes for Julianne Moore in Still Alice.

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #16,500 of 24,690
FWIW The Grand Budapest Hotel is the best movie from last year I've seen so far. Not a huge fan of Wes Anderson in general, but everything really clicked with that one. Probably going to see Birdman over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back