Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 29, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #16,441 of 24,669
It never gets better when they from the start stretch it thin.

Take LOTR for example. At first Jackson tried to sell in to make it in two movies but he got the go to actually make three. But there is tons of material in that book to support three movies. The movies would have been even greater as only two but I aint complaining. Then they wanted to make Bilbo in three movies. Well all who read it know how much backstory there is in that. I really don´t feel any of the Hobbit movies is close to the LOTR ones. The animated Bilbo is great much better then this as they don´t stretch the story thin.

I have not read neither the hunger games, Divergence or Maze runner books but based on the movies they are more bilbo then LOTR. And it´s flattering to compare it to Bilbo :p.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #16,442 of 24,669
Alrighty, doesn't look like I'm going to be catching anymore 2014 movies in theatres before the new year, so here's my top 15 (keep in mind there are going to be some films from 2013 on here--because they didn't show up in any theatres near me until earlier this year):

15. Snowpiercer
14. The Grand Budapest Hotel
13. The Lego Movie
12. The Past
11. Jodorowsky's Dune
10. Ida
9. Her
8. Birdman
7. 20,000 Days on Earth
6. Ernest & Celestine
5. Inside Llewyn Davis
4. Life Itself
3. The Tale of Princess Kaguya
2. Boyhood
1. Citizenfour

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #16,443 of 24,669
  Alrighty, doesn't look like I'm going to be catching anymore 2014 movies in theatres before the new year, so here's my top 15 (keep in mind there are going to be some films from 2013 on here--because they didn't show up in any theatres near me until earlier this year):

15. Snowpiercer
13. The Lego Movie
12. The Past
11. Jodorowsky's Dune
10. Ida
9. Her
8. Birdman
7. 20,000 Days on Earth
6. Ernest & Celestine
5. Inside Llewyn Davis
4. Life Itself
2. Boyhood
1. Citizenfour

Our lists of favorite movies of 2014 are so close. Here is mine which I've posted a week ago:

Leviathan ( Andrey Zvyagintsev)
Noah ( Darren Aranofsky) 
Stranger by the Lake ( Alain Guiraudie)
Under the Skin ( Jonathan Glazer) 
Nymphomaniac ( von Trier) 
Two Days, One Night ( brothers Dardenne) 
The Boxtrolls ( Laika animation film) 
Interstellar ( some less known director Christopher Nolan) 

Overrated:

Snowpiercer
Ida

Though three films from your list were in my top 10 last year: The Past, Inside Llewyn Davis, Her.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #16,444 of 24,669

15. Snowpiercer
13. The Lego Movie
12. The Past
11. Jodorowsky's Dune
10. Ida
9. Her
8. Birdman
7. 20,000 Days on Earth
6. Ernest & Celestine
5. Inside Llewyn Davis
4. Life Itself
2. Boyhood
1. Citizenfour

Yay! :) unikitty! :) such a funny movie :)

Not seen any of the other movies in your list though?

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #16,445 of 24,669

Our lists of favorite movies of 2014 are so close. Here is mine which I've posted a week ago:

Noah ( Darren Aranofsky) 

Overrated:

Snowpiercer
Ida

Though three films from your list were in my top 10 last year: The Past, Inside Llewyn Davis, Her.

Lol! To be fair, I did really like Under the Skin, I just didn't have room for it in my top 15. And I really want to see Leviathan, Stranger by the Lake, and Nymphomaniac, but haven't had the opportunity. I'm hoping that they still might show up in a theatre near me, as most of what I see in January and February will probably actually be 2014 films that just haven't gotten a release near me until then. For example, over the next month, I know for sure that I'll be seeing A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, Inherent Vice, Song of the Sea, and Mr. Turner; all 2014 films that I'm expecting good or even great things out of--if so, they'll appear on my 2015 list next year. I'm really learning to dislike staggered/platform releases, and studios/distributors are getting worse about it with each passing year, I feel.

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #16,446 of 24,669
OK here is my list of best movies from 2014. I have been busy so I haven't been able to watch as many films as I usually do, but nonetheless, here is the list.

1. Boyhood 10/10 (i think this is my favorite all-time movie, and I have never been able to say that before)
2. The Grand Budapest Hotel 9.7/10
3. Blue Ruin 9.5/10
4. Under the Skin 9/10
5. The Lego Movie 9/10 (was very surprised, but was the best animated film ive seen in ages)
6. Edge of Tomorrow 8.6/10
7. Interstellar 8.5/10
8. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 8.5/10
9. Lucy 8.5/10
10. 22 Jump Street 8.3/10
11. The Skeleton Twins 8.2/10
12. Frank 8/10

Usually I stop these lists  at 9/10 as the lowest score, but since I have seen so few movies from this year, 8/10 will do. 

Additionally, here is a list of the best movies I have seen in 2014, from any year. 

1. Boyhood 10/10
2. Waking Life 10/10
3. In Bruges 10/10 (best black comedy ive ever seen)
4. Blue is the Warmest Color (best romance movie ive ever seen)
5. 2001: A Space Odyssey 9.7/10
6. The Grand Budapest Hotel 9.7/10
7. Chinatown 9.5/10
8. Blue Ruin 9.5/10
9. Seven Psychopaths 9.5/10
10. Django Unchained 9.4/10
11. Jackie Brown 9.4/10
12. The Royal Tenenbaums 9.4/10
13. Fantastic Mr. Fox 9.3/10
14. American Hustle 9.3/10
15. Magnolia 9.3/10
16. Blackfish 9.3/10
17. Heat 9.2/10
18. Fargo 9.2/10
19. Almost Famous 9.2/10
20. Looper 9.1/10
21. Source Code 9.1/10
22. Rushmore 9.1/10
23. Under the Skin 9/10
24. Adaptation 9/10
25. Frances Ha 9/10
26. Cool Hand Luke 9/10
27. Captain Phillips 9/10
28. Sweet Smell of Success 9/10
29. Nebraska 9/10
30. The Spectacular Now 9/10
31. The Lego Movie 9/10

And finally the most recent movie I have seen:

The Social Network 5.5/10

This movie is pretty difficult for me to rate, because it is so beautifully well made. In terms of technical achievement, it is a masterpiece. The direction, acting, score, and script are impeccable. David Fincher is one of my favorite directors and he has done another amazing job here. However, the social network is hollow and uninspired. As soon as the film was over, I said to myself, "well, what was the point of that?" 

It's like a supermodel. Extremely good looking on the surface, but hollow and empty underneath. No one in the film has one redeemable trait.Everyone’s an ******* and I want them all to leave the screen, but there’s no letup. No emotion here, no sides to take. Just sit back and watch as each character desperately scrambles to prove their own self-worth – or rather their own superiority.  It's fine to have unlikable characters in a movie, but they have to be fun to watch at least.  Also, this film  is annoyingly cocky and self-important. I guess that that is the point, since social networking is inherently a narcissistic endeavor, but making a meta movie to point this is out does not make a good film. 

Despite how well made The Social Network is, it was a real pain to sit through. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #16,447 of 24,669
Best 2014 movie I watched this year:
X Men Days of The Future Past

Best Horror I watched:
The Babadook

Best animation I watched:
How to Train your Dragon (would have put The Tale of Princess Kayuga if I had watched it...)

Best Comedy I watched:
22 Jump Street

Worst Movie I watched:
Go **** Yourself Michael Bay 4 (would have put Michael Bay Turd-tle if I have watched it)

Worst animation:
Tarzan (I can't believe it, worse than my expectation)

Worst Horror:
(None)

Things I worried:
Marvel and DC ballsy Movie Battle

Sony's "Amazing" Spiderman going nowhere

How Chinese movie studio **** up an already ****ed up movie

The Interview incident

My grades

Things I really excited for 2015:
Marvel and DC battle

Pixar new movie

New animated movies from Dreamworks

New movies

University

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #16,448 of 24,669

Noah ( Darren Aranofsky) 

Overrated:

Snowpiercer
Ida

I must see Noah. I don´t know why everybody hates it but you like it :)
As for Exodus equally bad reception but maybe a directors cuts would make it more sensical?
I want to remember Kingdom of Heaven while decent in it´s own right got better with the extended cut.

But then again I liked Snowpiercer.

I am impressed how you all keep track of your movies. I will try and sort some list maybe can use some imdb to sort out my 2014 movies :)

Last movie was Captain America: Winter Soldier. I am truly fed up of these marvel movies it´s getting redundant but well I suppose it´s as good as any. 
Felt extra unrealistic though for a super hero movie. But that is maybe because they try to make Captain America human. If he is human there is no way to tolerate that abuse. 6/10

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #16,449 of 24,669
  I must see Noah. I don´t know why everybody hates it but you like it :)

On Rotten Tomatoes Noah's got 77% ( by critics) which is not bad for "a failure". For example, Inherent Vice ( director P.T.Anderson) has got 71% and I saw that movie in some "best movies" lists of the year.

Though Noah got bad reputation among general audience which probably approached it as entertainment. For those who are interested in religion ( or rather Bible's unorthodox interpretations) Noah was a very rewarding experience. As a story it delivered. Not sure if it was good as a blockbuster about which I don't care.  

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #16,450 of 24,669

On Rotten Tomatoes Noah's got 77% ( by critics) which is not bad for "a failure". For example, Inherent Vice ( director P.T.Anderson) has got 71% and I saw that movie in some "best movies" lists of the year.

Though Noah got bad reputation among general audience which probably approached it as entertainment. For those who are interested in religion ( or rather Bible's unorthodox interpretations) Noah was a very rewarding experience. As a story it delivered. Not sure if it was good as a blockbuster about which I don't care.  

Seen it now and yes it was great. I am really really not into religion whatsoever but they really did make a good story out of this one. Have to be a fan of sci-fi to enjoy this though I recon.

9/10

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #16,451 of 24,669
Went to see in cinema recently:

Interstellar - 9/10
John Wick - 6/10
The Hobbit 3 - 7/10
Exodus - 7/10

I so can not wait to get Interstellar on dvd and watch it again :) 

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #16,452 of 24,669
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014): 10/10

Turns out that 2014 was a hell of a good year for vampire movies; first Jarmusch's pretty darn good Only Lovers Left Alive, and now this, the full-length feature debut by Iranian-American filmmaker Ana Lily Amirpour, which joins Only Lovers Left Alive and 2008's Let the Right One In in being one of the very best vampire films of recent years. AGWHAaN actually has a lot in common with Jarmusch's film, not only in its tonal similarities, but also in its languid pacing, wonderful photography (here shot in deliciously crisp, high-contrast black and white), and excellent use of music. Amirpour's film goes further than Jarmusch's though--it takes place in a fictional, timeless city that allows Amirpour the opportunity to display a wide range of impulses and influences, resulting in an almost Tarantino-esque collage of Lynchian surreal horror, spaghetti western revenge flick, early 90's indie film making, and classic Hollywood sexiness. The real trick is that it doesn't feel bogged down in its influences; it instead recombines them in novel ways to offer up a truly unique vampire experience that feels like a traditional gothic vampire romance, but behaves like a po-mo punkette. (Or maybe it's the other way around.) Add all of the above to the good-great performances and memorable faces (Sheila Vand as The Girl is nearly an instant icon), a nicely layered but trim script that allows for plenty of re-watchability and alternate interpretations, an excellent comic sensibility, and genuine moments of tension that completely justify adding 'thriller' to the list of genres this film neatly ticks and you've got a really quite remarkable film. I don't think I could have asked for a better movie to kick off my theatre-going in 2015.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #16,453 of 24,669
The Judge - 6.5/10

Very well-acted but at times feels clichéd and a little like a sappy made-for-tv movie.

The Drop - 7.5/10

Pretty good crime-drama. Not up there with stuff like The Departed or anything like that but good nonetheless. I'm crushing on Noomi Rapace a little.

Dumb and Dumber To - 8/10

A little disappointing but I still LOLed a lot. And that's the point.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #16,454 of 24,669

The Drop  (2014)  Tom Hardy doing what apparently he was born to do. Taking a mediocre script and injecting it with a character interpretation that draws you in out of curiosity in place of cheap suspense. I was thoroughly prepared for Noomi Rapace to look out of place as a snowman in Dubai here but she works almost unimaginably well. James Gandolfini is pretty much his usual fare which is too bad for one of the last efforts of his life.

Spot on. Tom Hardy has a real engaging characteristic to him.

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #16,455 of 24,669
Hobbit 3 - 6.5/10

I was going to skip this but I had a gift card and very bored. First half hour was terrible but it eventually got better.
I liked this one, but to me it's really only worth a rental. I actually found it to be the worst of all of them in the series.
Only characters I really liked in the movie were Thorin and Bilbo. The best parts of the movie were right in the middle.
I'd say this wasn't as good as I expected. Just felt like one long battle scene with some filler-material nonsense thrown in.

PS. I'd have seen Interstellar instead but it now has only one showtime. 1pm! Who sees a movie at 1pm..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back