Rap music. Pro or Con
Apr 1, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #61 of 224
i actually think it is ok to hate a genre but i sometimes wonder, do they really hate the genre or something else. it's so easy to find "i hate rap" than "i hate country" or "i hate metel" in any message forum.

Apr 1, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #62 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i actually think it is ok to hate a genre but i sometimes wonder, do they really hate the genre or something else. it's so easy to find "i hate rap" than "i hate country" or "i hate metel" in any message forum.

I think people bring up "How do you feel about Rap" threads the most because it's always going to get a heated argument started. Sure there is most likely a chunk of Racism in there, but I don't think it's as much as Pro Rap people would like there to be. Notice how I said "would like there to be"
wink.gif

How many "I hate R&B" or "I Hate Soul" threads do you actually see. Those two genres are predominantly African American. But none of those genres bring about such strong debates as Rap. Which leads me to believe two things. The first one is the one a favor the most. Many people can't relate to the traditional messages in Rap and therefor don't get a full appreciation for the genre. The second is that Rap is just so different from what is traditionally perceived as music that some people can't grasp the art in it.

It's just easier for people to call others ignorant, racist, not open minded or any other of the cop outs people like to use to explain why someone simply doesn't like Rap. I guess some how it makes the accuser feel high and mighty. It's easier to call another ignorant than face the fact that they themselves are too ignorant to respect another's opinion of a musical genre. There is always an underlying racial tension in these kinds to threads. It's pretty sad actually.

Okay end of rant. Sorry I just hate the double standards. I doubt racism would have ever been hinted at if the title of this thread was "Rock music. Pro or Con".

Apr 1, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #63 of 224
I'd agree on racism aspect - alot of people hate rap, but not as many would profess a dislike for R&B or soul, indicating that hatred of rap is primarily due to hatred of rap, as opposed to some kind of broader thing.

I can't say I am a big fan of rap, in the past I tried an album someone sent to me (a Google search reveals it is probably Mathematics by Mos Def), but without success. Now occasionally I do hear some rap song which I think is interesting, but it's never been to the degree where I felt obliged to go out and buy or download it.

Apr 2, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #64 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry I just hate the double standards. I doubt racism would have ever been hinted at if the title of this thread was "Rock music. Pro or Con".

But what if it was "Rock Music - Pro or Con" in 1955? Undoubtedly the initial anti-rock perspective was largely based on racism, and a need to label all African Americans as ignorant or buffoons. You see a good deal of the same stuff in the anti-Rap arguments (as a whole, not necessarily in this thread.) They are ignorant because they misspell words (a criticism never leveled at the misspelled Led Zeppelin and The Beatles) or because they 'just talk.' Additionally, racism has slowly evolved away from skin color to an artificial dislike of 'culture', oddly of course only the culture of people of a certain skin color. The fact that a term like 'wigger' exists and is often NOT considered a racist term (when it is indeed supremely racist) is proof of this. So yeah, R&B and Soul aren't attacked the same way (at least not any more) because they have been separated from contemporary black culture but also because they aren't nearly as popular as rap.

Obviously you can HATE rap and not be racist. But we would be kidding ourselves if we didn't admit that racism plays a significant role in many people's thought process.

Apr 2, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #65 of 224
Well.. I used to hate rap, until I found stuff like RJD2, Young Kof, Roots Manuva, Kenn Starr, etc etc etc.
A lot of rap/hip hop has more to say than drugs and killing, a lot of UK rap/hip hop is political, a lot of rap/hip hop is revealing about society.
This comes from a person who used to listen to 100% lyricless music (electronic and classical).

Apr 2, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #66 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is so ... so ... so ... so much more to rap than the mainstream ******** and gangsta-rap garbage. Really.

Hip-hop and rap are to the late eighties and nineties as rock and roll was to the fifties and sixties. Revolutionary, in other words. And just like rock is a huge, enormous genre, so is rap/hip-hop.

For some intelligent stuff, try: Anti-Pop Consortium, Jurassic 5, Techno Animal, El-P, Mr. Lif, Boom Bip & Dose One, cLOUDDEAD, Beans, etc.

It's a terrible mistake to assume Jay-Z is the alpha and the omega of rap music.

- Chris

rap is and old form and only recently meant gansta. i think you should listen to its underground and overground beginnings in the states and england. those ones who did it back then are still out making terrible (good) music. i think it catered to a certain audience especially in gansterland parts of usa and so grew from that.

definately check underground stuff or non-popular stuffs; you may like it/them. you might also check what other countries have to offer, German perhaps or english (unless you have tired of them already).

to say you don't like it because it is all gansta or nasty from violent people is like saying you don't like rock because greenday sucks. they [greenday] are only a small part of a very large genre and so are those who you/i don't like from the bigger genre of rap.

Apr 2, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #67 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Additionally, racism has slowly evolved away from skin color to an artificial dislike of 'culture', oddly of course only the culture of people of a certain skin color. The fact that a term like 'wigger' exists and is often NOT considered a racist term (when it is indeed supremely racist) is proof of this.

So I suppose the good old heartland US of A is very tolerant of the gothic culture according to you, or does that fall into the culture of people of a "certain skin color"?

"Wigger" fits into the same category as "Tom", does it not?

The same alleged racist sentiments that cause a hatred of rap music is, on the flip side, the reason for people of a "certain skin color"'s hatred of country music, no?

Rap is not anywhere near as hated in the white community as people would like to think it is. If it was, it wouldn't enjoy a 10th of the popularity it does. No question, there are many who hate rap music for racist reasons, but just as many hate it for many other reasons not at all related. Continually throwing in the "racism" tag into the equation is a crutch. Rap music is hated by many simply because it is the genre that spits out the largest (by far at that) amount of untalented garbage that one can loosely label "music". The talented artists are the needle in the haystack.

Apr 2, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #68 of 224
Quote:

- I think rap music is a valid musical art form. I listen mostly to rap.
- I think in general rap is a viable genre but I don't like it personally.
- I lean towards not liking rap at all.
- Rap is a disgrace to music and will be forgotten in the near future.

I haven't read the original post, nor any responses, but isn't this poll a bit slanted?

Where's the "I think rap is a valid musical art form, and listen to it along with other genres of valid musical art forms"?

You really don't leave any option other than listening to rap exclusively or not liking it/hating it. Since I listen to rap, along with other music, I can't vote.

Apr 2, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #69 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by richpjr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally just cannot stand Rap music. Nothing grates on my nerves more than having someone pull up beside or behind me in a car and having my chest bone vibrate from the overblown, distorted, thumping, noise pollution spilling out of their car stereo! That can't POSSIBLY be good for their hearing!

My only exposure to Rap and Hip Hop is the junk on the radio and MTV and, frankly I have no desire to listen to anything else. I've seen posts claiming that the popular stuff is all junk and that there is good, non-mainstream Rap. I just find it extremely monotonous and not very "musical" to me.

I generally listen to a mixture of Jazz, Rock, and Classical. The artists I listen to usually either have good voices or are good musicians (to me meaning skilled on an instrument). I enjoy music for the sound of the music, not the content of words, so I could care less about the social commentary or deep meanings contained in music (all music, not just Rap). I'm sure it takes skill to bust a Rhyme. I just don't want to hear it.

What is really bad is that I have a 13 year old daughter who listens to some Rap and Hip Hop. It takes me about 15-20 seconds before I can't stand it and have to change the radio station when we drive in a car together. God - I'm turning into my father - I can't stand the music my kids listen to!

That's funny. I hate it too, but it's not the music as much as it is the invasion of my space by somebody else's music. I would be just as put off if some old fart pulled up next to me blasting Bach or Mozart.

Apr 2, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #70 of 224
Ugh, I really can't stand to listen to rap anymore. Funny though, because it's all I ever listened to in high school. Probably 80% of my music library was rap. I now listen to rock, classical and jazz...wonder what happened there
confused.gif

Apr 2, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #71 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But what if it was "Rock Music - Pro or Con" in 1955? Undoubtedly the initial anti-rock perspective was largely based on racism, and a need to label all African Americans as ignorant or buffoons. You see a good deal of the same stuff in the anti-Rap arguments (as a whole, not necessarily in this thread.) They are ignorant because they misspell words (a criticism never leveled at the misspelled Led Zeppelin and The Beatles) or because they 'just talk.' Additionally, racism has slowly evolved away from skin color to an artificial dislike of 'culture', oddly of course only the culture of people of a certain skin color. The fact that a term like 'wigger' exists and is often NOT considered a racist term (when it is indeed supremely racist) is proof of this. So yeah, R&B and Soul aren't attacked the same way (at least not any more) because they have been separated from contemporary black culture but also because they aren't nearly as popular as rap.

Obviously you can HATE rap and not be racist. But we would be kidding ourselves if we didn't admit that racism plays a significant role in many people's thought process.

This isn't 1955. This is 2007 and in a "Rock Music - Pro or Con" thread no one would ever hint a some someone not liking rock because of racism. Although there is just as much racism by African Americans towards White culture as there is the other way around. Rock is a predominantly white genre. I know that there are minorities that won't even give Rock a chance because "It's white people music". I grew up in a town with people of that mind set. It's a double standard that really gets me mad. People willingly ignore it, for whatever reason. I doubt there are many people who ignorant to the fact. We see blatant racism everywhere in the media of this. But that's a different topic.

Personally I wouldn't discount someone's opinion because they misspelled a few words or expressed their feeling in away that wasn't articulate. Of course if a person's a blatant idiot then of course, their opinion holds little ground. But my feeling is that if a person gave the genre a shot and decided that "it's pure untalented crap that is ruining music as we know it" then that's how they feel (although an over the top reaction) and it should be respected as their opinion. They shouldn't be called ignorant. If a person misspelled some words and gave a less than articulate response, but you guys shared their opinion, I highly doubt they'd be called ignorant. I've seen many Pro Rap messages that I'd consider ignorant, surprisingly no other Pro Rap person ever cares to address the ignorance on their side.

Quote:

Additionally, racism has slowly evolved away from skin color to an artificial dislike of 'culture', oddly of course only the culture of people of a certain skin color.

Tell that to the white goths and emo kids. Or to gays, who spanned every single race. I can go on forever with cultures that are disliked that are not African American. The ugly truth is some group is hated by another group. Is it wrong to dislike another's culture? Depends on the reasoning behind it. But again that's another topic.

I forgot the percentage but I know that the majority of Rap is actually bought by white young adults. Seeing that Rap is one of the most popular genres today I'd hesitate to say "that racism plays a significant role in many people's thought process." Some do give in to racism, but not as many as some people would like to think.

You have Black artist who betrayed the black community and everything it's worked for (well some people worked for) by selling this horrible image of urban life or hoes, drugs and violence. I think if the urban community wants to stop being portrayed like fools then they should stand up against it and not let fools represent them. They should support artist that reflect them better.

Apr 2, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #72 of 224
There are some ridiculous generalizations in this thread...

While it's pretty stupid to just dismiss an entire genre based on what's heard in the mainstream, it's not morallly wrong. At least give people like MF Doom, The Roots, EL-P, Madlib, Blackalicious and Aesop Rock a listen.And generalizing people who dislike rap as racists is as bad as generalizing a race in the first place.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 2, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #73 of 224
If any of you people dislike hip hop because it's generally about being a gangster and being rich and being black and you just can't connect with it, try listening to any of the artists hungry just mentioned. You might find you actually like them. A lot of people who aren't into hip hop love MF Doom and Madlib.

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #75 of 224
For those of you that do hate rap, why do you hate it? Also, is it the only genre that you hate, or do you hate other genres? Finally, what genres do you prefer?

Just curious. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back