Rap music. Pro or Con
Feb 12, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #16 of 224
I see no reason as to why rap cannot be a viable form of music, however, since IMO alot of head-fi'ers including myself don't dig deeper into the topic, they assume that everything is crap, and while my perspective is biased, alot of it is. Of course, that's not to say that it cannot be good, i am saying that it simply is not good. But then again, i could use the example that someone who's only listened to bands like creed could argue that rock music sucks, and creed, IMHO (no flames please), it would. However, that's a narrowminded view of it all, and most head-fi'ers would agree with that.

Now, rap does limit an artists ability to create a beautful and ornate piece of music, regardless, i reject the possiblity that it simply cannot exist

Feb 12, 2003 at 4:20 AM Post #17 of 224
I'm not at all PC...I find the whole PC movement to be stupid in the extreme.

Having said that, there's something really off the deep end about ANY kind of music that glorifies gang violence. I'm particularly bothered by the glorification of violence against women. What's the point of this, exactly.

It's the musical equivalent of a crucifix in urine...it's garbage. Just because they call the performer an "artist" doesn't make it art.

Feb 12, 2003 at 5:27 AM Post #19 of 224
This poll bears a striking resemblance to one I ran a while back, right down to the choices
eek.gif
:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&highlight=rap

Mark

Feb 12, 2003 at 7:06 AM Post #20 of 224
The only rap I have heard is whatever is on the radio. That stuff is just plain horrible. I mean it really, really sucks. My view on hip-hop is pretty much shaped by that. But if I did hear some stuff that is actually good, I might change my views a bit.

Feb 12, 2003 at 2:59 PM Post #21 of 224
Rap can be good, poetic as someone here already said, if you know what to look for. The other thing is it's not always about the words they say, it can be just about the beats, and simply enjoying the rhythm and timing of the beats. That said, at times their words can go to far and because of that, I won't give them a second listen.
I listen to all kinds of rap, from gangster to poetic, and I'd say that their is neither which is more enjoyable than the other, it all depends on the specific artist and song. I however won't participate in the poll because I don't listen to just rap. Chalk up techno and varied rock (almost anything from Offspring to Metallica to Coldplay) and a little classical/instrumental like Yo-Yo-Ma and you've got an idea of what I listen to.

Feb 12, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #22 of 224
I personally just cannot stand Rap music. Nothing grates on my nerves more than having someone pull up beside or behind me in a car and having my chest bone vibrate from the overblown, distorted, thumping, noise pollution spilling out of their car stereo! That can't POSSIBLY be good for their hearing!

My only exposure to Rap and Hip Hop is the junk on the radio and MTV and, frankly I have no desire to listen to anything else. I've seen posts claiming that the popular stuff is all junk and that there is good, non-mainstream Rap. I just find it extremely monotonous and not very "musical" to me.

I generally listen to a mixture of Jazz, Rock, and Classical. The artists I listen to usually either have good voices or are good musicians (to me meaning skilled on an instrument). I enjoy music for the sound of the music, not the content of words, so I could care less about the social commentary or deep meanings contained in music (all music, not just Rap). I'm sure it takes skill to bust a Rhyme. I just don't want to hear it.

What is really bad is that I have a 13 year old daughter who listens to some Rap and Hip Hop. It takes me about 15-20 seconds before I can't stand it and have to change the radio station when we drive in a car together. God - I'm turning into my father - I can't stand the music my kids listen to!

Feb 12, 2003 at 7:25 PM Post #23 of 224
Quote:

Originally posted by DLP
The other thing is it's not always about the words they say, it can be just about the beats, and simply enjoying the rhythm and timing of the beats

So are you telling me that you could lose the 'words' and just enjoy listening to the 'beats'?

Feb 12, 2003 at 11:38 PM Post #24 of 224
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
So are you telling me that you could lose the 'words' and just enjoy listening to the 'beats'?

Well yeah, that's where techno came from
biggrin.gif
(look at earlier Chemical Bros stuff and you'll see...a lot of their earlier music is rap beats or beats similar to rap beats but reworked kinda into dance beats)

Seriously, yes. Though for rap music specifically, generally if the artist himself is on time with the beats, it helps in the rhythm. If the words being said are offensive enough, I will not listen to it, period, though I tend to not take music seriously, so my tolerance for words is probably higher than others.

Feb 12, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #25 of 224
Quote:

Originally posted by DLP
Well yeah, that's where techno came from
biggrin.gif
(look at earlier Chemical Bros stuff and you'll see...a lot of their earlier music is rap beats or beats similar to rap beats but reworked kinda into dance beats)

In other words, a whole different type of music.

Feb 13, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #26 of 224
Interesting that this just popped up. Today I bought my first rap cd in about 10 years. It's Sweatshop Union and I'm really enjoying it. It's too bad rappers like these guys don't get more exposure.

Feb 13, 2003 at 1:16 AM Post #27 of 224
Not a valid question, IMO. Rap music is the commercialization of hip-hop that one can see everyday on MTV. Hip-hop is the true art form and musical genre.

For comparison--rap is to hip-hop what Kenny G/John Tesh are to real jazz.

Hip-hop is a valid and enjoyable art form and musical genre. Yes, I have many albums of hip-hop in my collection, and enjoy them very much.

Feb 13, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #28 of 224
I really don't feel like rap is a real type of music. I'm not saying that it's bad, but I think it is more like poetry. I personally feel like most rap preformers fall into the "DJ" category, they pick a preformed set of beats and then repeat it while saying what they want over (or under) the music. Kinda like a remix.

That said there are those who preform their own music, but I think the music and the actual "rapping" are separate entities.

Feb 13, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #29 of 224
Quote:

Originally posted by beagle
In other words, a whole different type of music.

Yes, and to address your original question, how I interpret some rap music (I use the term rap very loosely, because as DeeJayBump points out, a distinction can and I guess should be made between rap and hip-hop) is in a way that kind of makes it a different type of music than what it really is. I think it's the same way that some people I know that listen to rock music sometimes focus on the guitar playing or the solos in the songs over the lyrics of the songs, I think.

Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
I really don't feel like rap is a real type of music. I'm not saying that it's bad, but I think it is more like poetry. I personally feel like most rap preformers fall into the "DJ" category, they pick a preformed set of beats and then repeat it while saying what they want over (or under) the music. Kinda like a remix.

That said there are those who preform their own music, but I think the music and the actual "rapping" are separate entities.

Just curious, but what would you call the group The Roots then? Rap, but over instrumentals (mainly drum-driven, but with other instruments in there). I'm curious because the lyrics are fairly intelligent and I guess poetic (though their last CD, while better with the instruments, has kinda let the lyrics sink into a kind of gangsta attitude), but it's obviously not quite what you're talking about.

(note: i'm not directly trying to challenge what you're saying, just trying to help you realize that there is a bit more than what you've experienced and in that area, there are exceptions to the summary of what you consider rap to be)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back