Mar 31, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #46 of 224
some good, alot really really bad
plainface.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #47 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I completely agree.

Yep same here.

People judging rap by what they see on MTV and top 30 rap songs like 50 cent etc. is like judging "rock" music by ****, popular bands like Nickelback, Creed and The Killers. Not all hip hop has terrible beats (listen to J Dilla's album of instrumental hip hop beats "Donuts" and tell me that he's talentless and that it isn't real music) and not all hip hop is stupid and violent.

Here are some fun, quality and intelligent hip hop/rap albums you need to hear before you judge a whole genre: A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory, Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Black Star, Common - Resurrection, Common - Be, Deltron 3030 - S/T, Madvillain - Madvillainy, MF DOOM - Operation Doomsday, Mos Def - Black On Both Sides, Talib Kweli - Quality, The Roots - Things Fall Apart.

Mar 31, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #49 of 224
I think rap is a valid music genre with its share of good and bad artists and I like some of it, but it's far from being my favorite genre. So my vote is between the first two options.

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #50 of 224
Of all the genres, it is the one I truly hate. Most of the reasons why have been listed already.

I've made an effort to be "open minded," but something about rap/hip hop really lights me fuse. It's unlistenable, and I hate it even more when forced to listen to it by other drivers on the road.

For anyone who wants to ding me, being open-minded does not mean that you have to like everything. It just means that you have to give it a listen with an open mind. If you hate it after that, well, that's just how it is. I've given it a try, actually several times over the years, and I still hate it.

I've found redeeming qualities in (and enjoy) everything from country to metal to new age to world music. But not this.

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #51 of 224
For the most part I'm not to huge on rap. The majority of themes in rap are something I can't relate to. Which is why I don't appreciate Rap that much as a genre. It's sort of isolating. However there is a select few artist that I enjoy. But overall Rap has to be my least favorite genre.

I'm sure that Rap's a great genre to a lot of people. But I don't think the people who find enjoyment in Rap should judge those who don't favor the genre. Some people have tried it and simply don't like it.

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #52 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by LobsterSan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i voted for the first option, but i feel the poll is kind of flawed -- while i am definitely pro and like the music, i listen to some rap and hip-hop but not exclusively nor overwhelmingly. there should be a "pro & listen occasionally" option.

QFT. This poll sucks. I listen to a good amount of hip hop. But it still only comprises about 10% of what I listen to. I'll agree that most of it sucks. However, there is so much of "it" that you just have to find the good stuff. Kinda like country. If you think that the current "offenders" are all country has to offer, then you are discounting many talented artists in this genre.

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #53 of 224
Anyone who truly loves music knows that there are no bad genres. The responses so far are, of course, both disappointing and completely unsurprising.

Nobody should say they dislike a genre, only that they do not understand it. Within said genres there is always a vast difference between the talent levels of the artists. This has been covered already, though.

When of the most ridiculous arguments against rap is that they don't play instruments or that they are somehow untalented or that it isn't music at all. Grab a record and try to do some DJing, it is infinitely hard than playing a G chord on guitar. What DJ Shadow or Cut Chemist or Ant do is much much harder than most rock guitar (and drums and bass for that matter.)

Second, manipulation of rhythm is an essential aspect of music. If Eminem is an untalented non-musician, then so is John Bonham. After all, where is the melody in drumming? The lack of traditional melodies, or singing, or instruments has absolutely nothing to do with the validity of music.

Third, why is programming a drum beat any different than playing a drum beat? All art is conception. Was Beethoven any less of a genius because he didn't play every instrument in his symphonies? Of course not. Coming up with a beat IS the artistic process, playing it is the easy part. (And yes, those drum machines don't play themselves, you do have to decide what they do and when they do it.)

p.s. Yes the poll options suck.

Mar 31, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #54 of 224
Rap isn't for me anymore, it irritates me whenever I hear it. This is coming from someone who only listened to rap for about 11 years straight. It's a bad genre FOR ME, and that's all that matters.

Mar 31, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #56 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listen to "Illmatic" by Nas or "Enter the Wu-Tang" by Wu-Tang clan and you will hear masters of the craft and the art.

I always thought "Illmatic" was kind of boring. I don't know. I don't think this album would crack my top 10 rap albums of all-time, maybe not even 20. I think when it came out when I was younger I would just go along with everyone - "instant hip-hop classic", "5 mics from The Source" blah blah blah. I've owned that album since it came out and in that time I rarely ever felt the need to bust it out again. And to make it worse, Nas cruised off of that album for years because of the massive critical acclaim. He was totally up his own arse and just mailed it in for the follow ups.

"Enter the Wu-Tang" on the other hand...awesome. Totally awesome!

Mar 31, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #57 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone who truly loves music knows that there are no bad genres. The responses so far are, of course, both disappointing and completely unsurprising.

Thanks for eloquently saying what I was thinking.
I would like to be blunter about the responses but minya has said it a little more subtly than I am tempted to:

Quote:

Originally Posted by minya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh, I can just imagine your parents saying that about that evil man who tried to be a Negro, Elvis Presley.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

- Chris

Mar 31, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #58 of 224
And the options do suck - I don't mind rap (in fact at times I can enjoy it a lot), but its not my predominant taste by any means. But even at the commercial end of rap I am sometimes amazed how creative musicians/producers like Timbaland are, and by the time you get to El-P, J Dilla and The Roots the musical and creative level is as high as anything else out there, in any popular genre.

Mar 31, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #59 of 224
This thread reminds me of an idea espoused by a good friend. He calls it the "Brass Monkey Theory", and it states that if you graduated from high school in 1986 (the year the Beastie Boys' Licensed To Ill was released, of course containing the song "Brass Monkey") or later, you simpy "get" rap or hip-hop. The Beastie Boys, Run DMC, and later Public Enemy and De La Soul et. al. were just part of your musical vocabulary during the formative years of your musical taste.

Apr 1, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #60 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've made an effort to be "open minded," but something about rap/hip hop really lights me fuse. It's unlistenable, and I hate it even more when forced to listen to it by other drivers on the road.

Stop contradicting yourself. It is impossible to be "open-minded" and hate rap. Simply impossible, I tell you.

Can't tell you the number of times people refuse to accept that even though you have heard The Roots, Talib Kweli, and all the other usual suspects of top-notch rap and you still can't stand it, you're either lying, don't understand it, or are close-minded. Failure to accept the possibility that someone can have an opinion contradictory to your own is the biggest example of close-mindedness I know of, but don't ever say that to an "open-minded" individual (I've done it and they throw a wicked tantrum that would put a spoiled 4 year old to shame
biggrin.gif
).

Obviously you can gather from the above that I can't stand rap. To me, rap has nothing to do with the musical styling at all. It's about the vocal delivery, and I hate it across the board, from rap/hip-hop to rap-metal, and all the incarnations inbetween.

I have no problem with someone liking it, if you do, you do, and should enjoy it, so long as I don't have to hear it, we're good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back