Rap music. Pro or Con
Apr 2, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #76 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of you that do hate rap, why do you hate it? Also, is it the only genre that you hate, or do you hate other genres? Finally, what genres do you prefer?

Just curious. Thanks.

in some degree, rap is like jazz. for those who hate jazz. jazz is like off key to them. not music to them just like rap. so i can understand people hating some(the) genre(s). i've been in this message forums for seven, ten years. there are some i hate rap from time to time from almost every forum. some of them i can see they really only hate/dislike the genre but some don't. sure they hate the genre but also some more

this really ain't going nowhere you know.

Apr 2, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #78 of 224
It's saddening to see so many people basing their hatred of this genre solely on all the atrocious offerings of the mainstream. There is absolutely no reason at all to not consider it a viable genre. I urge anybody who doubts the artistic viability and musical scope of Rap to listen to the album "Derbe Respect, Alder," a collaborative effort between the progressive, avant-garde Hip-Hop group Dälek and the legendary Krautrock band Faust.

Apr 2, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #79 of 224
Editing polls should be implemented on these forums because I strongly feel the options are poorly chosen. I'd pick option 1 but occasionally listen to rap instead of it being a mainstay.

I know a lot of people who are like those who have posted. They disregard the entire rap genre because of 50 Cent, P Diddy and the other clowns being paraded around in mainstream media, so it would be understandable if they hated mainstream rap. But when I say the real rap music is underground-you just have to look for it-they still dismiss the genre. Generally, these people only listen to one genre (and perhaps its subsets).

If I didn't get into rock music and its associated genres early on, then I possibly would've found it impossible to get into it due to the sheer amount of pap nowadays e.g Mcfly, Busted, endless streams of emo bands etc.

For those of you have who listened to 'good' (underground) rap and still don't like the genre then thats brilliant-you've at least given it a chance. But for those who make blanket judgements based on mainstream rap then please try out some of the real artists mentioned before in this thread. No one is saying you have to like it, but be rational. Think of it as trying new food.

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #80 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of you that do hate rap, why do you hate it? Also, is it the only genre that you hate, or do you hate other genres? Finally, what genres do you prefer?

Just curious. Thanks.

I wouldn't say I hate Rap, but it is my least favorite genre. I dislike it mostly because it's very hard to find lyrical content that I can relate to and if I can relate to the lyrics then I usually don't like the beat, the voice or the flow of the Rapper. It's also annoying to spend lots of hours and money "digging deeper" to try to find something that appeals to me. Discovering music shouldn't feel like a chore and a burden. That's how I feel about Rap. Even when I do find an Artist I enjoy, I rarely listen to it. There is a certain mood I have to be in to listen to Rap and that mood hardly ever hits.

Now that I think about it Reggae is my least favorite genre followed closely by Rap. To put it simply reggae just sounds like pure garbage to my ears. I can probably say that I do hate reggae. Everything about it puts me off.

The genres I prefer are rock, electronic, folk, R&B, pop and jazz. Any of those I can easily find something that I'll enjoy.

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #81 of 224
I've read many posts in this thread, although not all of them. It's funny to see such close-mindedness in this forum. Perhaps people try to be open-minded, but in the end, everybody has prejudice inside of them. After being on this forum for so long, I know most of you have it in you to be more open-minded than this. Let me start off with my own bias. I can't stand country, I hate smooth jazz, and most classical absolutely bores me. Pop drives me crazy, despite the catchy beats. I like hip-hop. I like rap, also. I do not like rap containing ignorant lyrics.

Most people who do like rap with ignorant lyrics like it for multiple reasons. Some, unfortunate people can seriously relate to what plays on the radio. They go through these things everyday. It's their lifestyle. Although it's not a good one, and the radio promotes this youth culture, it's comfort for them. There is a subconscious peer pressure that draws the youth into mainstream hip-hop. This is the main reason why the genre gains so much popularity. Others don't care about the lyrics. Many people feel that beatmakers steal beats, and don't create real music. I disagree. Beatmakers who use samples know music. They find catchy parts of a song, record it, and repeat it. They add in drums, and sometimes add or delete certain instruments. They also often modify parts of the clip they took. Beatmakers sample at different extents, and some really put lots of effort into what they do. Most of their goals is to create something catchy, unlike many other genres.

The mainstream sub-genre of rap is merely one of several sub-genres. There are others, such as underground, old school, simply beats, and more, if I were to go into more complex, precise sub-genres. Of the hip-hop listeners, I'd say about 90% of them only listen to mainstream. Thus, this is what is played on the radio, this is what is most of you depict as hip-hop, and this is why there is so much bias against it. I agree with some of you. Mainstream rap encourages ignorance. Although the industry tries to hide it, it's true. Take former underground group, Little Brother, for example. Although just a rumor, it is believed that BET didn't play their video because it was "too intelligent." Although they didn't admit it, what other context could it have been in? In comparison to videos they normally play? I have no idea.

Anyway, onto the other genres. Old school rap (See artists such as Run DMC, Public Enemy, Tupac, Notorious B.I.G., classic Wu-Tang, etc.) is highly regarded by most veteran hip-hop listeners. It contains purpose, emotion, and culture, although not the most melodic beats or the most complex flows. I, personally dislike it. While I respect the emotion, it just isn't smooth and musical enough for me. I can't relate to the lyrics, either.

Some beatmakers (See RJD2, Nujabes, J Dilla (R.I.P.), Madlib, Fat Jon, etc.) create tracks with no intention of getting a rapper to speak over it. These songs usually tend to be more like a mix of electronica, trip hop, and sometimes downtempo and jazz. I tend to enjoy this genre more than jazz, as most of the music I have of it is jazzy, yet retains hip-hop qualities. It's great for casual listening, yet is probably the least listened sub-genre out of the four.

Underground hip-hop can be classified in many different ways, but I just like to think of it as anything other than the previous three. There are some thin lines between what is old school and what is underground, and there are some even finer lines between some mainstream/underground artists. This is the most diverse sub-genre of the four. Some rap about how screwed up their lives are (See Tech N9ne, Cage, Atmosphere, etc.). Others like to tell stories (Murs, Brother Ali, Tech N9ne, and nearly all underground rappers do it too. These two just stick out in my mind as great and easy to listen to.). Some talk about how good they are (Everyone, to some extent). Others just talk about anything on their minds (Also everyone). The diversity is really why I love this sub-genre.

I know some of you feel that you've tried to be open-minded towards hip-hop. In most cases, I disagree. The fault probably isn't yours, though. I've noticed that musical recommendations are some of the worst recommendations I've ever heard. People usually suggest and demote artists with no reasoning all. It's very similar to fanboyism when recommending other types of things. There is never an absolute best of anything. It all depends on each individual's tastes.

If you decide to feel more open-minded towards hip-hop and want to give a listen to all types of sub-genres of it, contact me. Try e-mailing me at lazyaznboi@gmail.com or contact me through AIM at lazyaznboi206. Hope this has brought an enlightening influence upon some of you.

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #82 of 224
It's not 101 Strings Orchestra...

Apr 3, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #83 of 224
Isn't the debate about rap as an art form over? The fact that it's one of the most popular genres of music (yes, companies, music charts, and the public have considered it music) in the world kinda sums it up for me.

Now whether it's appreciable, I find there's a difference in you're looking at. I hate hearing a gunshot in my music, or some girl moaning; but give me some Jurassic 5 and I'm grooving to it. I hate the image of mainstream rap more than anything, but again they're popular as a music genre, and they have a good amount of market share. There is no question they are a valid art form.

Apr 3, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #84 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read many posts in this thread, although not all of them. It's funny to see such close-mindedness in this forum. Perhaps people try to be open-minded, but in the end, everybody has prejudice inside of them. After being on this forum for so long, I know most of you have it in you to be more open-minded than this. Let me start off with my own bias. I can't stand country, I hate smooth jazz, and most classical absolutely bores me. Pop drives me crazy, despite the catchy beats. I like hip-hop. I like rap, also. I do not like rap containing ignorant lyrics.

Most people who do like rap with ignorant lyrics like it for multiple reasons. Some, unfortunate people can seriously relate to what plays on the radio. They go through these things everyday. It's their lifestyle. Although it's not a good one, and the radio promotes this youth culture, it's comfort for them. There is a subconscious peer pressure that draws the youth into mainstream hip-hop. This is the main reason why the genre gains so much popularity. Others don't care about the lyrics. Many people feel that beatmakers steal beats, and don't create real music. I disagree. Beatmakers who use samples know music. They find catchy parts of a song, record it, and repeat it. They add in drums, and sometimes add or delete certain instruments. They also often modify parts of the clip they took. Beatmakers sample at different extents, and some really put lots of effort into what they do. Most of their goals is to create something catchy, unlike many other genres.

The mainstream sub-genre of rap is merely one of several sub-genres. There are others, such as underground, old school, simply beats, and more, if I were to go into more complex, precise sub-genres. Of the hip-hop listeners, I'd say about 90% of them only listen to mainstream. Thus, this is what is played on the radio, this is what is most of you depict as hip-hop, and this is why there is so much bias against it. I agree with some of you. Mainstream rap encourages ignorance. Although the industry tries to hide it, it's true. Take former underground group, Little Brother, for example. Although just a rumor, it is believed that BET didn't play their video because it was "too intelligent." Although they didn't admit it, what other context could it have been in? In comparison to videos they normally play? I have no idea.

Anyway, onto the other genres. Old school rap (See artists such as Run DMC, Public Enemy, Tupac, Notorious B.I.G., classic Wu-Tang, etc.) is highly regarded by most veteran hip-hop listeners. It contains purpose, emotion, and culture, although not the most melodic beats or the most complex flows. I, personally dislike it. While I respect the emotion, it just isn't smooth and musical enough for me. I can't relate to the lyrics, either.

Some beatmakers (See RJD2, Nujabes, J Dilla (R.I.P.), Madlib, Fat Jon, etc.) create tracks with no intention of getting a rapper to speak over it. These songs usually tend to be more like a mix of electronica, trip hop, and sometimes downtempo and jazz. I tend to enjoy this genre more than jazz, as most of the music I have of it is jazzy, yet retains hip-hop qualities. It's great for casual listening, yet is probably the least listened sub-genre out of the four.

Underground hip-hop can be classified in many different ways, but I just like to think of it as anything other than the previous three. There are some thin lines between what is old school and what is underground, and there are some even finer lines between some mainstream/underground artists. This is the most diverse sub-genre of the four. Some rap about how screwed up their lives are (See Tech N9ne, Cage, Atmosphere, etc.). Others like to tell stories (Murs, Brother Ali, Tech N9ne, and nearly all underground rappers do it too. These two just stick out in my mind as great and easy to listen to.). Some talk about how good they are (Everyone, to some extent). Others just talk about anything on their minds (Also everyone). The diversity is really why I love this sub-genre.

I know some of you feel that you've tried to be open-minded towards hip-hop. In most cases, I disagree. The fault probably isn't yours, though. I've noticed that musical recommendations are some of the worst recommendations I've ever heard. People usually suggest and demote artists with no reasoning all. It's very similar to fanboyism when recommending other types of things. There is never an absolute best of anything. It all depends on each individual's tastes.

If you decide to feel more open-minded towards hip-hop and want to give a listen to all types of sub-genres of it, contact me. Try e-mailing me at lazyaznboi@gmail.com or contact me through AIM at lazyaznboi206. Hope this has brought an enlightening influence upon some of you.

The poll is about rap, not hip-hop, they are not the same thing. Instrumental hip-hop is not rap. I like a great deal of hip-hop beats, for instance, but once someone "raps" over it, I tune out. If someone sings over hip-hop (ala modern R&B), it isn't rap, either.

The defenders of hip-hop ruin their own argument. On one hand, they try so hard to tell everyone about all the sub-genres and how you can't judge the entire spectrum by the mainstream, but then tie them together themselves. Rap is purely vocal delivery. Has nothing to do with beats.

Would you classify your own dislikes, of country, for instance, as a misguided close-mindedness, as you suggested is the case with people who hate rap? Yet another close-minded comment. I've seen threads (not particularly here on this forum) where people bash all forms of rock/metal, and while the defenders usually resort to juvenile insults, rarely do they slap the close-minded tag on people. Why is that?

Apr 3, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #85 of 224
Um...yeah....this is a 4 year old thread.

rolleyes.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #86 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um...yeah....this is a 4 year old thread.

rolleyes.gif

Yep, and even 4 years later it still sparks a lot of passionate debates, so it must still be somewhat relevant to some people of the Head-Fi community.

As far as my OPINION goes; I despise, loathe, abhor (and any other adjectives out there that are stronger than 'hate') this genre of music. I would estimate that about 90% of it is un-listenable for me, and the other 10% that I can stomach doesn't really do anything for me. I certainly acknowledge that small 10% of artists in this genre as being quite talented, but the music just does not suit me, and believe me, it isn't for a lack of trying on my part.

I couldn't give a s**t less if the artists are white, black, yellow, red, purple or green aliens with freakin' laser beams attached to their heads. I just plain old don't like that genre of music.

If you want to fool yourself into thinking there are other less savory reasons behind why I don't like that Genre of music, then be my guest - but you would be wrong.

Now feel free to take all of what I said above, and you can apply it directly to the other Genres of music that I highly dislike: Country, Hindu and Top 40 Pop.

I am most certain that there are many, many people who feel the same way about the Genres of music that I listen to, and that's cool with me. It takes all kinds of people with varying tastes to make the world go 'round. What a boring freakin' world it would be if everyone liked the same exact things.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I despise 'rap-metal' as well. I hope that trend dies a flaming, horrible death, and SOON. I know it probably will not go away, but one can dream.

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #89 of 224
Can't I just decide not to like a music genre without having to prove I'm not a racist/sexist/bigot/horrible person? I've listened to rap for more than 10 years (popular and underground) and I've simply found nothing I really care for; some things I can tolerate and some are even a bit catchy, but it's nothing I want to buy or even download. I shouldn't have to listen to every sub-genre of rap/every artist to decide that it just doesn't work for me. It's not like the all the people that declare they hate country/jazz/classical/rock/metal/polka have actually gone out and listened to every sub-genre and finely analyzed what it is that they hate. Music is about personal preference and it's doing something enjoyable; why make it so complicated? If you like it good, if not then move on.

Apr 3, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #90 of 224
I'm really surprised at how equal the poll is coming out to be.

I voted 'viable genre.' There is some rap that I really love on the same level as the rock or whatever that I listen to (El-P's Fantastic Damage, Public Enemy's Nation of Millions, De la Soul's Three Feet High and Rising) but I also think that, largely because it is such a new and sensational genre, rap has become inundated with a lot of total garbage which, unfortunately, frequently gets very popular.

And for people who differentiate between hip-hop and rap, what exactly do you mean? I've heard stuff like 'hip-hop is more focused on beats' and stuff like that, but the rap vs hip-hop debate still comes off like comic book vs. graphic novel to me. Just because slight variations doesn't mean they are totally different genres, right? Look at how much crazy stuff is still classified as 'rock' or 'jazz.'

I've only read about thirty of the posts in this thread. Sorry if I am way off topic or behind the thread's evolution or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back