Rap music. Pro or Con
Jun 21, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #213 of 224
Rap in and of itself is really cool, but it has such an incredibly strong 'Urban Black' image attached to it that it's been massively exploited. People have compared it to rock and disco of other decades, to me it's like glam-rock/big-hair metal was in the 80's. If you can present the image aka, represent the mainstream's view of the genre, then you can sell records and you will make it big. How many gawd-awful hair metal bands made money with top 40 hits just because they had the look? Same with lots of modern rappers.

It's a shame because rap is pretty cool. Anyone who says rappers aren't musicians because they don't sing is like saying drummers aren't musicians because their instruments don't play melodies. Rap is like vocal percussion. The cadences those guys (and girls) come up with are unreal. Rap is pretty cool.

Jun 21, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #214 of 224
Man, how did I miss that thread. Based on some of the comments on this page I think it's probably for the best. What is it about this ART FORM that brings out the worst in people when it comes to discussing its merits?

Anyway, I have a gripe - no option of liking Hip-Hop without having to listen to it exclusively on the poll.

I look forward to reading deeper on this thread so I can contribute a little more.

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #215 of 224
I used to like it, listened to it all the time back in the early 90s and heading up towards late 90s. However, I became more and more dissapointed with it.

Mostly I just can't stand most of the rappers of today, a lot of it seemed to get too commercialized and it took away from it greatly. Most of the time Id like to find meaning in the lyrics and I have a much harder time finding rap these days fitting into this.

There are of course some good rappers around, Ive just been so turned off to the whole genre that I don't care to look.

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #216 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, I have a gripe - no option of liking Hip-Hop without having to listen to it exclusively on the poll.

Noooooooooo retract that or you will be sorry. Hip hop is the culture, rap is the music or so I am told.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #219 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solodarn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mostly I just can't stand most of the rappers of today, a lot of it seemed to get too commercialized and it took away from it greatly.

So listen to less commercial rap? Everyone's got to start somewhere, and some groups like The Coup can churn out records worth of classics and never really get the recognition.

Rap and hip hop are what they are, just another genre of music. There's always a lot of garbage in just about any genre... unfortunately, what I think is garbage gets played more by others. Maybe it's a sign that I'm a really bad barometer of what's popular.

Jun 23, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #220 of 224
all though i listen to it its not like i will buy a cd of it there is better music out there
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #222 of 224
I can't believe this argument has continued 12 pages!!

What isn't there to understand about this? Entire genres of music CAN'T BE BAD. There are lots of bad rap artists. There are also lots of good ones. Or, if you want to continue to make judgments based on random radio listening in the car, be prepared to hate just about every genre imaginable. Or I suppose all jazz is only as good as Kenny G? All classic rock as good as Rod Stewart? All classical as good as Andrew Lloyd Webber?

Rap can just as easily be defined by 50 Cent, "Diddy", and Chingy. Or, perhaps, you'd all like to not be ignorant baboons for a second and realize that there are artists like Beans, Saul Williams, The Roots, and Blackalicious that are thriving right now. These guys are rap's parallels to Bill Evans, Gustav Mahler, and Bob Dylan.

Rap, just like all genres, has its commercial sell-outs, its academics, its pretentious intellectuals, its edgy experimenters, its quirky and fun composers, and its regressive "Marsallis"-types. I can't believe for the life of me that we've entered the 21st century, and we still have people who think the way the television wants us to...

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #224 of 224
wink.gif
(kidding).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back