[rant]crapple[/rant]
Aug 2, 2009 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

Bojamijams

Headphoneus Supremus
Why is apple allowed to write software? Why do people use such software? Why does itunes have to be the stupidest piece of crap software ever written for seemingly the lowest mentally capable person in the world and why does its UI have to be governed by this sub 50 IQ person?

Why is it when all I wanted to do was delete one of my damn ringtones off my iphone that Itunes does not allow such a thing so I must choose to SYNC (I'm going to hate this word for the rest of my life now) instead of just simple click and delete like has been the freaking norm in computer design for decades?

Why must Itunes delete all 20gb of my music off my iphone even though I chose to never sync music only because I chose to sync my ringtones? What do ringtones and music have in common?

Why must I be forced to use this infinitely inferior application that's a travesty to the words UI simply because I want to take advantage of the hardware and the sound that this thing can produce? WHY??????????

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 69
+1! I am a confirmed iTunes hater - but I still use it only because everything else I have tried that claims to "completely replace iTunes" for the ipod/iphone either sucks even worse or requires me to piece together several different apps & plugins, and then *still* doesn't really provide full ipod/iphone functionality.

What the heck is "determining gapless playback", and WHY can't I tell iTunes NOT to do it?

Why can't I auto-number the tracks in the ID tags for a group of imported MP3 songs?

Why do you need TWO Windows memory resident processes that consume a total of 2.8M?

Why can't I eject the ipod without getting an error message about the USB storage device?

I do want to congratulate Apple for finally deciding in iTunes v7+ that it might make more sense to call the command to remove a song from the library "delete" instead of "clear".
rolleyes.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
]
Why must I be forced to use this infinitely inferior application that's a travesty to the words UI simply because I want to take advantage of the hardware and the sound that this thing can produce? WHY??????????

steve_and_steve.jpg

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 69
I don't have an iPhone, and I never use my iPod, so I can avoid your issues. That being said, iTunes is without doubt the worst (i.e. most frustrating) program I have ever used on my computer. It takes hours to upload a small fraction of my music library, whereas foobar2k uploads every track in a matter of seconds. In iTunes, it takes half an hour to convert several albums from one codec to another, including decompressing to .wav from alac; foobar can convert an album from flac to mp3 in one minute or less. What the hell!?

I never had these problems with iTunes when I wasn't moving files around frequently, or converting from various exotic formats. That's why it is suitable for most people, and all the masses who use Apple hardware. But foobar is the stablest media player I have ever used. It never crashes, is lightning quick, and is extraordinarily versatile. How hard could it be for Apple to make iTunes even one tenth this good?

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 69
They write very good software..for Macs that is. I understand how you feel about iTunes on Windows, it was shockingly terrible. Slow...problems... Ugh. I now have a Macbook (Black), have had one for about a year and a half now. iTunes is just a joy to run on this. Maybe it's Apple's way of getting you to buy Macs? Who knows. It's just crap on Windows.

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it's Apple's way of getting you to buy Macs? Who knows. It's just crap on Windows.

I'm really starting to think so.. it seems counter intuitive.. why piss off people, that wouldn't seem to drive customers to buy macs if they think Itunes on windows is how annoying all Mac applications are though...

but maybe apple just relies on these people knowing one Mac person who can say what you did .. ie. its better on a mac

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #9 of 69
Eh, I've found Windows to be incompatible with itself. I won't go into it, but try sharing a Word document between several computers with different versions of Word. A significant amount of time at the office is wasted straightening this out.

That another piece of software doesn't work well on Windows is little surprise.

This is why is run a MacBook and a Linux desktop. I don't have any complaints with either.

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 69
X2 about Windows. Copying my entire iTunes library in Windows Explorer in XP from one directory to another resulted in the entire library being deleted!

The two resident processes in Windows would be the ones for detecting when an iPod was plugged in most likely.

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 69
Maybe I'm just special, but I have had few issues with Vista that I could not resolve using my modest computing skills (and I was one of the earliest adopters). I will say that on my sister's Mac it is far more intuitive to do certain things, but these are things that only advanced users do anyway (and if you are not illiterate, you can read online how to do these things on a PC). The Mac is obviously a fantastic computer, and is very sturdy, but it also costs a fair bit more than mine. But I just can't get over this thought that people who say "Mac is the best" are often the same people who say "Bose is the best." It's not a matter of quality, necessarily, but rather a matter of wanting things to be spoon fed and effortless. I find it to be worth the extra effort to research what actually is the best, and then spend hours tweaking settings and adding features. Then again, maybe I'm just a common masochist.

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #13 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh, I've found Windows to be incompatible with itself. I won't go into it, but try sharing a Word document between several computers with different versions of Word. A significant amount of time at the office is wasted straightening this out.

That another piece of software doesn't work well on Windows is little surprise.

This is why is run a MacBook and a Linux desktop. I don't have any complaints with either.

Whoever let Office 2007 loose at your office without proper training about the difference between .doc and .docx should take the blame for those compatibility issues. That's not really a Windows problem, although it is still a M$ problem. MS Office is the worst example of software over-development EVER. Every version has dozens and dozens of new features that no one ever uses.

But - this is turning into a Mac vs PC thread - and that wasn't the OP's intent. I've used both (and several flavors of linux) for many years. No matter what anyone says, they ALL have their own set of issues.

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 69
I refuse to use any Apple products - they have a propensity to lock customers into their products by making it excessively annoying to change brands, that and they overcharge.

I like being able to crack open my PC and swap out a soundcard or move from winamp to foobar at the drop of a hat.

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #15 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is apple allowed to write software? Why do people use such software? Why does itunes have to be the stupidest piece of crap software ever written for seemingly the lowest mentally capable person in the world and why does its UI have to be governed by this sub 50 IQ person?

Why is it when all I wanted to do was delete one of my damn ringtones off my iphone that Itunes does not allow such a thing so I must choose to SYNC (I'm going to hate this word for the rest of my life now) instead of just simple click and delete like has been the freaking norm in computer design for decades?

Why must Itunes delete all 20gb of my music off my iphone even though I chose to never sync music only because I chose to sync my ringtones? What do ringtones and music have in common?

Why did you buy an iPhone if you hate itunes so much?

Why did you need to delete a ringtone if your music was only using 20 of the 32 gigs of space?

Manual management is a doddle if you have an IQ over 50.

Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1! I am a confirmed iTunes hater - but I still use it only because everything else I have tried that claims to "completely replace iTunes" for the ipod/iphone either sucks even worse or requires me to piece together several different apps & plugins, and then *still* doesn't really provide full ipod/iphone functionality.

What the heck is "determining gapless playback", and WHY can't I tell iTunes NOT to do it?

Why can't I auto-number the tracks in the ID tags for a group of imported MP3 songs?

Why do you need TWO Windows memory resident processes that consume a total of 2.8M?

Why can't I eject the ipod without getting an error message about the USB storage device?

I do want to congratulate Apple for finally deciding in iTunes v7+ that it might make more sense to call the command to remove a song from the library "delete" instead of "clear".
rolleyes.gif

Determining gapless playback is iTunes automatically working out which songs on which albums are best played back with no pause between them (think of Dark Side Of The Moon for an obvious example, and lots of prog and classical for others). It can be stopped, press the X in the central oval window, then post a thread here complaining that iTunes is the worst piece of software ever because it inserts annoying track gaps into your albums ruining the listening experience.

What do you mean auto number the tracks for imported MP3s? I need more specificity there.

iTunes runs 4 processes. Tunes itself, one for iphones, one for ipods, and one for music library sharing and such.

The USB message can only be an issue with your computers usb configuration. Make sure that devices like ipods and cameras are set to be optimised for quick removal and not for delayed write. Also give it a second to actually eject. Dont just press eject and then yoink it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have an iPhone, and I never use my iPod, so I can avoid your issues. That being said, iTunes is without doubt the worst (i.e. most frustrating) program I have ever used on my computer. It takes hours to upload a small fraction of my music library, whereas foobar2k uploads every track in a matter of seconds. In iTunes, it takes half an hour to convert several albums from one codec to another, including decompressing to .wav from alac; foobar can convert an album from flac to mp3 in one minute or less. What the hell!?

iTunes fully processes the information for media as it is loaded into the library (album artwork, gapless playback information, volume normalisation etc) this information is then stored in the itunes library master file so that it is from then on instantly available for all media in the library.

Foobar loads instantly all the media, and then processes any such information at the time of specific access resulting in a gradual accumulation of microlag which eventually far exceeds the single loading instance with itunes.

As for the format conversion, I couldn't comment on that. I use neither program for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They write very good software..for Macs that is. I understand how you feel about iTunes on Windows, it was shockingly terrible. Slow...problems... Ugh. I now have a Macbook (Black), have had one for about a year and a half now. iTunes is just a joy to run on this. Maybe it's Apple's way of getting you to buy Macs? Who knows. It's just crap on Windows.

How much RAM did your windows machine have? Since last couple years iTunes has really benefitted from a more capable machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back