[rant]crapple[/rant]
Aug 3, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #61 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jsaliga, you know better than me how these things must work.

I run a patchwork of various OS'es at home with modest skills and the occasional call to a few Linux gurus I know. Everything works fine and help calls are usually when installing/upgrading.

The Windows network at the Office is an endless source of frustration for over 200 people. An IT staff of five with a six figure budget constantly patches, upgrades and works on it. And yet most people get a daily crash/freeze, lost data and other gremlins. When I got in this morning, Outlook stopped responding after I opened it and I had to reboot to get it to recognize the servers.

Again, I am just an amateur who enjoys tinkering with *nix. But I can't reconcile the fact that an amateur network cobbled together from bits and pieces that hasn't been updated once this year hangs together while a professionally maintained one doesn't. Maybe my belief that Windows is inherently unreliable is wrong, but I have a difficult time finding a different conclusion based on experience.

Oh please let me share my day with you...

I use SolidWorks (a CAD program) at work on a PC.
Crashed/locked up 6 times this morning
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

That's really great fun when you're trying to get some work done and the boss is tapping his foot wondering why it isn't finished yet.

The IT guy did a feeble run of Disk DR. over lunch bit didn't really find anything terribly wrong.
Ran at it's usual laggy pace that afternoon without a crash.

Come home to my Mac (with a similar configuration to my work PC).
Works beautifully all the time, every time.

Since it's got the Intel chip, I can boot it up as a Windows machine and run the same CAD program I have at work at home.
Guess what?
It's faster & never crashes.
Mac beat PC at it's own game
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #62 of 69
Not all PCs are the same. You get what you pay for and most cheaper PCs are junk quality regardless of brand. I build my own PCs and use good laptops (Lenovo). End result? Crashes simply don't happen, there are no anomalies, and I can trust that my Windows PCs will always work like they should.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #63 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh please let me share my day with you...

I use SolidWorks (a CAD program) at work on a PC.
Crashed/locked up 6 times this morning
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

That's really great fun when you're trying to get some work done and the boss is tapping his foot wondering why it isn't finished yet.

The IT guy did a feeble run of Disk DR. over lunch bit didn't really find anything terribly wrong.
Ran at it's usual laggy pace that afternoon without a crash.

Come home to my Mac (with a similar configuration to my work PC).
Works beautifully all the time, every time.

Since it's got the Intel chip, I can boot it up as a Windows machine and run the same CAD program I have at work at home.
Guess what?
It's faster & never crashes.
biggrin.gif

Bet the PC has a crappy PSU, mate had all computers in the office crashing. As usual blaming PC "PC's are crap we need Apple Mac's they never crash" Switched all PSU's after that and stable. Saved them probably £20K plus would need to retrain staff. And being idiots the custom software they had wouldn't work on Apple's either but they didn't know that. Just wanted Apples.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #64 of 69
Most of the time whenever an application crashes, it is the application's fault and not the OS. It is the application doing all of the requests or resources (RAM for example) when an action is taken within the application. It is sloppy coding or limited resources to ensure compatibility on the part of the application designers. Sure, Windows is not perfect, but no OS is.

So when people blame Windows for an iTunes problem, I have to laugh. Anyone who says that Apple did not code iTunes to run worse in Windows is naive in my opinion. Apple is a business; they will do what it takes to get some (business).

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #65 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jsaliga, you know better than me how these things must work.

I run a patchwork of various OS'es at home with modest skills and the occasional call to a few Linux gurus I know. Everything works fine and help calls are usually when installing/upgrading.

The Windows network at the Office is an endless source of frustration for over 200 people. An IT staff of five with a six figure budget constantly patches, upgrades and works on it. And yet most people get a daily crash/freeze, lost data and other gremlins. When I got in this morning, Outlook stopped responding after I opened it and I had to reboot to get it to recognize the servers.

Again, I am just an amateur who enjoys tinkering with *nix. But I can't reconcile the fact that an amateur network cobbled together from bits and pieces that hasn't been updated once this year hangs together while a professionally maintained one doesn't. Maybe my belief that Windows is inherently unreliable is wrong, but I have a difficult time finding a different conclusion based on experience.

I'll send you a response via PM.

--Jerome

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #66 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is apple allowed to write software? Why do people use such software? Why does itunes have to be the stupidest piece of crap software ever written for seemingly the lowest mentally capable person in the world and why does its UI have to be governed by this sub 50 IQ person?

Why is it when all I wanted to do was delete one of my damn ringtones off my iphone that Itunes does not allow such a thing so I must choose to SYNC (I'm going to hate this word for the rest of my life now) instead of just simple click and delete like has been the freaking norm in computer design for decades?

Why must Itunes delete all 20gb of my music off my iphone even though I chose to never sync music only because I chose to sync my ringtones? What do ringtones and music have in common?

Why must I be forced to use this infinitely inferior application that's a travesty to the words UI simply because I want to take advantage of the hardware and the sound that this thing can produce? WHY??????????

Do a wiki on html5.

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #67 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't you just copy the music and ringtones in File browser/windows explorer with CTRL-C and CTRL-V into the designated ringtones/music directory?
regular_smile .gif

You'd think so, but then apple doesn't allow you access to the file system of YOUR iphone. All you can access is images and videos. Not anything else.

AWESOME!

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #68 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Agreed. Windows 7 on my Mac runs like a charm
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #69 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It isn't about doing favours for Microsoft or otherwise, its about ensuring their products function as described for their customers.

Basic stuff.

I think this is where the company's perspective and the consumer's perspective differs.

I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't want to spend money hiring a programmer or a team of programmers just to work on applications for Windows, which unfortunately compromises the quality of the product(s).

At least Apple isn't charging money for their sub-par port.

P.S. Sorry for the double-post, I really suck at this whole forum thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back