[rant]crapple[/rant]
Aug 3, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #46 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Specifically how is iTunes any better on a Mac than it is on Windows?

* Runs smooth.
bigsmile_face.gif

* Full support for high-resolution audio (24-bit/192kHz, e.l.).
* Bit-perfect output (need a couple preference changes).
* Extendible using 3rd. party input components (FLAC support, e.l.).
* UI matching other parts of the OS.

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #48 of 69
Cool, I don't use iTunes so I really don't know how much it sucks on windows lately.. It sure did back when I had my 3rd gen ipod for the year or so it lasted.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #49 of 69
I use Zune for syncing and that's great on the PC and even lousier on Macs than iTunes on Windows is
smily_headphones1.gif

But then again, I am a PC fan, because I love the extensibility and ability to modify. I regularly change my hardware, OS configuration, BIOS settings, etc. just how I want them.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #51 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh, I've found Windows to be incompatible with itself. I won't go into it, but try sharing a Word document between several computers with different versions of Word. A significant amount of time at the office is wasted straightening this out.

Uhh, this is not something that is endemic to Windows or Microsoft. It was true with Lotus 1-2-3, it was also true with Wordperfect. Unless the developer is willing to freeze the file format they use forever, it is nearly impossible to make software written today forward compatible with a future version of the software that hasn't even been developed yet.

Quote:

That another piece of software doesn't work well on Windows is little surprise.

That any piece of software doesn't work is most likely caused by buggy applications. But it's easier to blame the OS when you really don't know how these things work. It would be like me saying to a lawyer that justice only comes to those who can afford it when I really don't understand the law and how the legal process really works.

Do I know how these things work? Yes, in fact I do. My technical career started in 1979 and I am an IT Solution Architect by profession.

Quote:

This is why is run a MacBook and a Linux desktop. I don't have any complaints with either.

Great! But that doesn't mean there aren't serious shortcomings with both with Mac OS X and Linux.

--Jerome

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #52 of 69
Jsaliga, you know better than me how these things must work.

I run a patchwork of various OS'es at home with modest skills and the occasional call to a few Linux gurus I know. Everything works fine and help calls are usually when installing/upgrading.

The Windows network at the Office is an endless source of frustration for over 200 people. An IT staff of five with a six figure budget constantly patches, upgrades and works on it. And yet most people get a daily crash/freeze, lost data and other gremlins. When I got in this morning, Outlook stopped responding after I opened it and I had to reboot to get it to recognize the servers.

Again, I am just an amateur who enjoys tinkering with *nix. But I can't reconcile the fact that an amateur network cobbled together from bits and pieces that hasn't been updated once this year hangs together while a professionally maintained one doesn't. Maybe my belief that Windows is inherently unreliable is wrong, but I have a difficult time finding a different conclusion based on experience.

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #53 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is completely their fault. Hire proper developers for Windows- there, problem solved.

Since when does Apple want to do Microsoft any favors, and vice versa?

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #55 of 69
Itunes is easily the least user-friendly piece of software I have on my PC. Just so many things that don't work as they should.

I only keep it because it's the only place to download some of the podcasts I listen to.

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #56 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It isn't about doing favours for Microsoft or otherwise, its about ensuring their products function as described for their customers.

Basic stuff.

Dilbert cartoon strip coming on...

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #57 of 69
I would like to note one thing! No make that 2:

• I invented the word crapple and use it aplenty around the job much to the enjoyment of my coworkers for ages. Anyone stealing it is effectively stealing part my mojo!
  • I, the place that hand me my paycheck, most of the headphone industry and its employees and its customers like you and me are very dependent on the very mainstream crow that uses the crapple stuff - case in point:
    • crapple together with the weird US company that that has something to do with a sort of berry sits on over 30% of the mobile phone profits alone despite they only have about 2% of the market.
    • More members is being drawn to the community from crapple users, the money the put down on certified gear is mainly going back to crapple but due to the huge volumes and profit margins forced by crapple on the gear your favorite can company actaully have alot more money to spend on R'n'D to that sort of midrange gear that we all want - also high-end research isn't hurt ether (not where money hangs usually)
    • While one might not like crapple policies they have done tons to every industry they have been involved in and has driven some revolutions in places like user interface, design etc. forcing competitors to get off their behinds rather than going thought the same upgrade motions over and over..
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #58 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why did you buy an iPhone if you hate itunes so much?

Why did you need to delete a ringtone if your music was only using 20 of the 32 gigs of space?

Manual management is a doddle if you have an IQ over 50.

Okay you seem to be a fan of Itunes.

Please explain to me, because I would REALLY love to not lose my music library again, why is it that when I check on Manually Manage Music and Videos and wish ONLY to sing Ringtones (ie. its the only one that has a checkbox) does itunes STILL insist of wiping ALL MY MUSIC, VIDEO AND RINGTONES?

It even says that with a message box, so I have no way to manually sync JUST ring tones.. and since you says its a 'doddle' I would REALLY love to learn how.

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #59 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks_own /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since when does Apple want to do Microsoft any favors, and vice versa?

The majority of iPod owners use Windows. Without Windows support, Apple would be far behind in the DAP market- the least they could do is make their software work properly. It's inexcusable for Apple to abandon their userbase in the way they have.

I tried iTunes for a few weeks even though I've never owned an Apple product. My experience with that software means that I'll probably never buy an Apple product in the future either. The iPhone does look nice but I have to keep reminding myself that iTunes would ruin the entire experience.

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #60 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay you seem to be a fan of Itunes.

Please explain to me, because I would REALLY love to not lose my music library again, why is it that when I check on Manually Manage Music and Videos and wish ONLY to sing Ringtones (ie. its the only one that has a checkbox) does itunes STILL insist of wiping ALL MY MUSIC, VIDEO AND RINGTONES?

It even says that with a message box, so I have no way to manually sync JUST ring tones.. and since you says its a 'doddle' I would REALLY love to learn how.

Can't you just copy the music and ringtones in File browser/windows explorer with CTRL-C and CTRL-V into the designated ringtones/music directory?
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back