flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 12, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #7,531 of 39,414
Speaking of promising new IEMs...

F0250D09-A90E-420E-A2FC-4F91F79F6228.png

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #7,533 of 39,414
Man, I should have travelled to India after this Canjam. I was so looking forward to attending Canjam NYC. But US Visa Officials in India had a different plan in mind for me. If I don't get my visa before the end of March, may be I'll go to CanJam SG.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #7,534 of 39,414
27749829_10155653050693037_3507871817009171350_n.jpg

Hello folks, I thought I'd share some initial impression on the beautiful Nerva X from HYLA.

I just listened for a couple of hours at this stage, so this is really an initial feeling.

Obviosuly, they are a marvel to look at, and very comfortable, not too large. Another good thing is that the sound is NOT very tip dependent for some reason, which is less of a hassle. I settled on the JVC Spiral Dots at this stage.

The general philosophy here seems to be musical and refined. Visceral, well-grounded and control bass, smooth and clear mids, non-aggressive yet detailed highs. Staging seems excellent, not excessively large but reasonably so with excellent imaging. They overall tonality is on the warm side, with a lot of realism.

The thing that strikes me the most is the smoothness of sound and transition between frequencies. The people at Hyla sure know how to tune 10 drivers in a coherent manner.

It might benefit from a brighter / airier source (which I don't really have), but with the WM1Z, I am going all in smooth musical full bodied and it is nice.

The setup looks gorgeous and shiny. My eyes.....ahhhhh xD

Feb 12, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #7,536 of 39,414
Man, I should have travelled to India after this Canjam. I was so looking forward to attending Canjam NYC. But US Visa Officials in India had a different plan in mind for me. If I don't get my visa before the end of March, may be I'll go to CanJam SG.

Come over, man! I’ll treat you a bowl of Jia Xiang Mee before the show. :D

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #7,537 of 39,414
Come over, man! I’ll treat you a bowl of Jia Xiang Mee before the show. :D

Yea man, it would be sweet. Let me start looking into applying for a SG visa.

Jia Xiang Mee sounds delicious. What is it btw?

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #7,538 of 39,414
Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #7,539 of 39,414
Yea man, it would be sweet. Let me start looking into applying for a SG visa.

Jia Xiang Mee sounds delicious. What is it btw?

It's essentially a bunch of oily noodles with your choice of meats - ranging from pork to smoked duck to fried chicken. After that, we can have a plate of salted chicken and call it a day. I doubt we'd be able to walk the show floor after seconds. :D

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #7,542 of 39,414
Does it happen to anyone that their music sounds a bit congested when they are tired?

Yup, this is what I equate to listening fatigue. I used to compensate by constantly adding volume, but now I know better. :)

Jia Xiang Mee was Daniel's former nemesis. He might have bested him once, but never again. He tastes delicious btw.

There is no "winning" against Jia Xiang Mee... :smiling_imp:

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #7,543 of 39,414
Yup, this is what I equate to listening fatigue. I used to compensate by constantly adding volume, but now I know better. :)
so what do you do now? Just take break. Apart from that, the only that works for me is switching to earbuds. By the way I tried earbuds again with the Shozy BK...damn these things are good. Do you guys listen to earbuds?

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #7,544 of 39,414
It's essentially a bunch of oily noodles with your choice of meats - ranging from pork to smoked duck to fried chicken. After that, we can have a plate of salted chicken and call it a day. I doubt we'd be able to walk the show floor after seconds. :D

Sounds like a plan. My wife saw the description and now she wants to tag along.

200.gif
:grin:
Bon appetit!

Hmmm.. I see more meat than oil and noodles.. Looks like you got a bargain..

Jia Xiang Mee was Daniel's former nemesis. He might have bested him once, but never again. He tastes delicious btw.

Yikes! I sometimes wonder what you folks at THL are really upto..

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #7,545 of 39,414
so what do you do now? Just take break. Apart from that, the only that works for me is switching to earbuds. By the way I tried earbuds again with the Shozy BK...damn these things are good. Do you guys listen to earbuds?

Yeah... personally, I've found no better solution than a 10-15 minute break. I tend to fill that space with YouTube videos out of my laptop speakers, then back to mixing/reviewing for another half-an-hour or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back