flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 24, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #7,324 of 39,414
...and not only nice words :grin:

I got mine some days ago, and it was like welcoming a good old friend again (because I had it on a loan for some weeks, some time ago).

When I had ordered it and listened with some other exceptional good iems in the meantime, some doubt crawled up in my mind. Did I make the right decision choosing the Prelude? Luckily I can say now that that doubt was totally unnecessary and I'm enjoying it to the fullest atm. Unfortunatelly (in a good way) I couldn't spend that much listening time with it this weekend, as I also got a very interesting loaner for a few days, that has to be returned soon. When that one is gone, the Prelude will surely get lots of attention again :ksc75smile: I like it so much that I might even write a review (which I haven't done for years) on it in the near future :thinking:

Btw, I haven't heard the AV2 myself, so can't advise you on that like @Deezel177. It seems that you can't go wrong with either one (or both :wink:) of them though.

Good luck with making your decision!
That Ares II seems inseparable from Prelude. Lol. I'm starting to dig the orange-black design, looking good your Prelude Kerouac. :) Congrats. What do you think of the sound with the AK380CU?

I'm comparing the AV2 to the Prelude at the moment, and they have several key differences. The most immediate discrepancy is the upper-midrange and treble. The AV2 sounds like it has its dip in the lower-treble; around 8-10 kHz. The Prelude places its dip closer to the 5 kHz range. This means the Prelude has superior articulation, while the AV2 has the smoother and more rounded signature. The former performs better in terms of clarity (especially when it comes to female vocals and snare drums), while the latter blends the leading edge of notes with overtones to create a sense of fullness in the stage. The AV2 lifts its upper-treble for transparency - adding air and clarity to the stage - but instruments still have this lack of bite that may take time to adjust to. The Prelude also doesn't have as much of a lower-midrange lift as the AV2 does, meaning its notes aren't as full, though they are better resolved and similarly bodied. The AV2 is also much more centrally-focused - lacking the Prelude's width - and thus sounds less laid-back. The AV2 has more sub-bass than the Prelude does, but the Prelude's low-end has infinitely better tone and PRaT. Overall, both have similar forwardness and body when it comes to vocals, but the Prelude is the better performer when it comes to the elements surrounding the vocals. If your ultimate priority is vocals, the AV2 will suffice (especially for the price). But, if you can spend more for the Prelude, it'll reward you with a much wider stage, a more natural bass, and a more agreeable vocal-to-top-end tone.
Couldn't have said it better. The Prelude sound difference is pretty significant with different sources though.

Wow...that's a serious comparison...thanks very much. That kind of post makes me want the prelude :darthsmile:
Alternatively, there is the AV4 which shares a similar sound character with AV2. It has a higher resolution, smoother sound, and better instrument positioning according to what I remember. I just tried the demo a few days ago, and personally, I like the AV4 more than the AV2. Will perhaps share more information when my AV4 is made.

Great to see you received your Prelude and they turned out really nice, such a gorgeous colour! When the parcel came you must have been like...
"They're here?"
"Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!"
:D
nnZfXlz.gif
Never run out of gifs Wyville. :D Haha.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #7,325 of 39,414
I spy with my little eye, an IEM(s) I would really like to buy... :wink:

upload_2018-1-25_11-24-17.png

A friend of mine found this on Instagram; a sneak peak of 64Audio's booth at NAMM 2018. Needless to say, this is going to an exciting start of the year. :D

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-25_11-21-10.png
    upload_2018-1-25_11-21-10.png
    259 KB · Views: 0
Jan 24, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #7,326 of 39,414

A friend of mine found this on Instagram; a sneak peak of 64Audio's booth at NAMM 2018. Needless to say, this is going to an exciting start of the year. :D

WOW, they all look like fourte and U18 lol~ Thats an entire product lineup refresh from top to bottom.

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #7,328 of 39,414
So the whole lineup is refreshed but I'm just looking at which colour is the nicest. :p

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #7,329 of 39,414
Something to check out at CanJam NY!

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #7,331 of 39,414
woah! that's some serious stuff right there!
I wonder why is the N8t not called A8t?

We tried to reason that it could’ve meant non-APEX (or something along those lines) to maximise the voluminous bass response that defined the A8’s signature. But, looking at the photos, it looks like they do indeed use APEX modules, so I guess we’ll have to wait for the official announcement from 64Audio for all the info. :)

Or, just for the lulz, maybe they just wanted a product that sounded like “Naughty”. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #7,332 of 39,414

I was waiting to see what 64 had up their sleeve! Very nice! Yeah, curious about the N8t. In the 64 thread someone guessed dynamic driver/hybrid, which I think might fit the "8", but I see APEX modules. Also very curious how the A/U6t sound compared to the U6 I reviewed. Oh well, will hopefully have a chance at the increasingly busy CanJam London. Will probably already need one whole day just sitting at two tables: EE and 64. :D
Rip the 10s tho
Yeah, was hoping for a U10t.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #7,334 of 39,414
Jan 25, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #7,335 of 39,414
Hi all
I have been asked about the Utopias previously in this thread and i've just spent some time listening to the Utopias, My Z1R and the VE8
I'm not a reviewer of any sorts but i think it could be interesting with some short notes on the differences when it comes to bass, soundstage and "separation/resolution (yes i'll group them for now)"

Soundstage
I would say no MAJOR differences between the three.
Z1R biggest, widest and best depth (i can hear the singer moving some meters away from me when switching). And the overall space is bigger
Utopia and VE8 no major differences, i think that the Utopia is more in head when it comes to width, but a little bith deeper (singer a few more centimeters :) in front)

Bass
Utopia has the least impact of them all, clear difference on some songs (depending on bass track), "Missing" som subbass.
However the utopia have best definition and separation of the three.
I would actually say that except for the lowest subbass the z1r and VE8 sounds similar.
The VE8 seems tothave have a bit more separation and definition in the bass than the z1r but need more comparison..

Separation/definition/resolution
The Utopia has the best separation and resolution of the instruments, but also sounds a little brighter than the others, and the "lack" of bass also makes it a bit different sounding.
Switching from the VE8 from the utopias, the first few seconds they sound a bit muffled, then you startsto appreciate the bass and that the resolution and separation of the instruments is there it's just not as extreme as the utopia.
The z1r adds a warmth overall so it sounds like it has a bit less separation and resolution, however, hard to explain it's there but smooth..

I would say that the VE8 has similarities to the Z1R bass, the Utopia soundstage, and somewhere in between with regards to the resolution and separation.

The Utopia is the brightest sounding, the Z1R the most smooth and varm sounding and the VE8 somewhere in-between (but closer to the utopia).

This is just from a short comparison, and it's how i hear things so... Might be revised later but for now.. :)

All balanced from my wm1z
Note: Silver cable for the utopia, Silver+gold for the VE8, original copper cable for the z1r.
Unfortunately i din't have a different 4.4mm for the utopias, think they would benefit from a copper or copper gold..

Edit: Just did some further comparison between the z1r and VE8 and i find them quite alike except for the z1r being smoother (little more dark), with a bigger soundstage, especially depth.
The VE8 when listening a bit more seems to have more height but since the depth is smaller it still makes the soundstage seem less big compared to the z1r..
Fun to compare, more will come.
And also a disclaimer this is almost like comparing oranges and apples but still...
I'm actually getting more and more impressed with the z1r compared to the utopia when comparing. The z1r is notn100% neutral but it's fun. Also the fact that the VE8 can keep up quite well in the soundstage area is very interesting. It's also quite easy to adapt to switching between the VE8 and the z1r, the utopia need more adjustment since the sound signature differs more (less bass, brighter, faster,etc) .

With the utopias i often start to analyze the music, with the z1r and ve8 i foremost enjoy and dig the music but have the possibility to analyze, not to say that i don't enjoy my utopias but I think you get the difference

Also starting to think that the XIV that is on it's way (shipped yesterday), will be more closer to the utopia than the VE8 is, based on the reviews i've read.

2018-01-25 16.38.34.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back