flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 16, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #6,931 of 39,414
2017 Tokyo Portable Audio Festival Impressions
Introduction

I was recently fortunate enough to participate in the 2017 Portable Audio festival in Akihabara. Though my time was limited, I did manage to try a heap of new and interesting earphones and filter down the best to feature in a quick impression post.

dsc07144.jpg

The show itself presented a nice variety of entertainment in addition to basic listening stations and a few small stores.

dsc07145.jpg

The outer display was limited mainly to the larger brands with larger marketing budgets such as Skull Candy, Marshal and Astell & Kern.

dsc07147.jpg

As an audio enthusiast from Australia, it was great to see so much engagement at the show, not just from locals but reviewers and hobbyists from around the world.

dsc07149.jpg

However, the inside of the venue housed all the fun; the bustling crowds charging the air with curious energy as newcomers and veterans lay their wares out for demo.

dsc07151.jpg

Of course, the usual players such as Sennheiser were receiving huge attention with their new ie80S and ie800S though impressions for those models are hardly difficult to come by.

dsc07162.jpg

As such, I pursued the more boutique brands, those that never see recommendation outside of Japan’s domestic market and others that have yet to make an entrance into English discussion.

dsc07158.jpg

I only had a very brief time with the following models and the louder ambient noise hardly made for an ideal critical listening environment, so please take all impressions with a grain of salt!

Hyla CE-5 (~$1000 USD)

dsc07160.jpg

Many have expressed interest about Oriolus but I thought it would be more appropriate to introduce an intriguing newcomer. I recently had an opportunity to sit down with Mr. Yu who masterminded Oriolus. He introduced a new direction he’s taking with his designs under a new alias, Hyla (Hira in Japan) which will be joining Oriolus and PW Audio under his supervision. Using his experiences at Oriolus, Yu hopes to further refine his designs with Hyla, which comes off as more experimental and potentially geared more towards an international audience whatever that may entail. At present, Hyla offer two models, the CE-5 which is quite reminiscent of the Oriolus MKII but revised based on feedback for that model in addition to a higher-end model dubbed the Nerva X or LA-1 based upon the Mellianus.

dsc07177.jpg

The CE-5 is the more experimental of the two as its quad-driver setup comprises not only of a hybrid single dynamic + dual BA but an additional piezoelectric tweeter. Other changes include a longer nozzle and retuned sound though it carries a similar RRP to the MKII, hovering around $1k USD. Of note, my tester unit lacked a PW cable instead implementing a more standard CIEM-style unit (Pictured Horus not included!).

– Engaging v-shaped signature

– Great bass extension, emphasized but controlled sub-bass

– Mid-bass seems a little bloomy on first impression

– Mids are slightly bright and sit slightly behind in the mix, naturally voiced

– Enhanced clarity

– Extended highs, energetic with aggressive detailing

– Large stage with a darker background

Hyla Nerva-X (~$2300 USD)

dsc07161.jpg

Using the Mellianus as a foundation, the Nerva employs a similar 10BA driver setup and the same design but Yu has implemented sterling silver housings as opposed to plastic and the internal chambers have been redesigned. The unit I tested was also attached to a new copper PW cable that exceeded $2300 IEM in price so unfortunately, I can’t comment on either the Mellianus or the stock Nerva X, but it does look like this model brings some very welcome improvements for the same asking price.

– Immediately more balanced than the CE-5

– On the darker, smoother side with a U to gentle L-shaped sound

– Immensely detailed and very well extended if still not particularly airy

– Awesome bass extension, sounds like a dynamic

– Bass is full yet tight, physical yet defined

– Very articulate and quite fast

– Really nice stage and a natural, impressively linear midrange

Dunu Falcon C ($219 USD)

dsc07155.jpg

Product page here.

The new Falcon C has been teased for quite a while, appearing at various other shows throughout 2017. It’s quite an important model for Dunu, representing their flagship dynamic driver in-ear. It also features a new design, a diaphragm constructed from ultra-rigid carbon nanotubes and liquid metal housings not unlike the dynamic Campfire in-ears. In addition, Dunu include a 6N OCC SPC cable with custom enlarged MMCX connectors that still retain compatibility with standard cables.

dsc07156.jpg

The first thing I noted was the hugely improved ergonomics over past Dunu in-ears, especially the DK-3001. The Falcon-C has a smooth, curved housing that slots nicely into the ear, they also isolate better than previous models. And most importantly, they produced a pleasing sound to my ear; one that was obviously sculpted towards the engaging side, but also a sound that provided technical ability beyond what it’s $219 USD would suggest.

– Brighter v-shaped sound

– Great sub-bass kick

– Nicely detailed and extended treble

– Nice stage

– Great clarity

– Higher notes sound thin but the Flacon-C is nicely resolving for the price

Accoustune HS1551 CU (~$500 USD)

dsc07163.jpg

Accoustune have always caught my eye, their earphones have terrific designs that are both unique and well-formed. So it was a delight to finally test their in-ears in person and they are certainly just as impressive to handle as they appear online. The HS15x1 earphones are definitely their most distinct. Both are single dynamics with the same ultra-thin Myrinx membrane. The housings are modular, separating between the mechanical and acoustic chamber to reduce interference and enhance reparability. The chamber has also been outfit with a profile metal rod/damper rod to reduce resonance.

The fit was what surprised me most, they are so unorthodox in their styling but their fit is quite typical. They were far from the most comfortable, isolating or stable in-ear I tested during the show but they aren’t nearly as sharp as they look. They also produced a very interesting sound that isn’t really geared towards realism, I suppose it is a trend we have come to expect from Japanese IEMs. The HS1551 CU notably combines heaps of bass body with supreme air up top. As a result, they aren’t transparent or natural, but they are different and made for a very interesting listen.

– Quite V-shaped

– Strong mid-bass, quite a lot of bloom but heaps of impact

– Greatly enhanced clarity

– Brighter mids

– Exceptionally airy

– Stage is not especially wide but with nice imaging and separation

Accoustune HS1501 AL (~$450 USD)

dsc07164.jpg

The HS1501 AL employs the same driver as the aforementioned model but trades its brass acoustic chambers for an aluminium enclosure. As a result, the earphones sound a little different, a little thinner and less expansive but also less bloated down low.

– Cleaner than above, seems more sub-bass focussed

– Thinner mids as a result but immensely clear and separated

– Similarly airy up top, not natural but clear and crisp, well extended

64Audio Tia Trio ($2300 USD)

dsc071661.jpg

Product Page here.

Many are familiar with 64Audio but they haven’t had a notable release in a while. The Tia Trio is one of two new models, it employs a triple hybrid driver setup with one of 64Audio’s renowned TIA drivers handling high-frequencies. The Trio also employs an internal M15 APEX module and the rear vented dynamic has its own chamber within the housing. 64Audio have focused heavily on venting and the minimisation of resonances, and it really shows in the end product.

Of note, the Tio utilises a similar design to the Forte over the plastic U-series in-ears and is only available as a universal. The sound is very intriguing with some outstanding qualities offset by a strangely diffuse but immensely spacious stage. They don’t lack coherence per say, but notes weren’t delivered with the sharpness I expected. Of course, these are merely first impressions so take these comments with a grain of salt.

– Huge stage with excellent separation

– Great end to end extension

– Bass has great impact but remains tight

– Nice air without sounding exaggerated

– Mids are mostly neutrally bodied

– Treble instruments possess natural decay and relatively realistic timbre

– Great resolution

– Somewhat diffuse sounding

Empire Ears Legend X ($2300 USD)

dsc07171.jpg

I also haven’t had a chance to try anything from Empire Ears as they have no distributor in Australia but I probably spent more time at their booth than any other at Portafes. The Legend X was quite a standout for me, even coming directly from the new Tia Trio. The housings were also notably comfortable and well-isolating. However, the sound really stole the show, again, these aren’t a reference earphone, but a very nicely executed V.

– Great bass extension, nice kick but tight

– Nicely articulate but a little mid-bassy for my tastes

– Tastefully V-shaped

– Natural mids

– Highs are fabulous, very detailed, extended

– Treble is tastefully on the energetic, aggressive side to my ears

Empire Ears Phantom ($1800 USD)

That said, it’s the Phantom that people should be getting VERY excited for! This was my favourite earphone from the show and probably the most impressive earphone I’ve ever heard in terms of timbre; though I would need more time to comment so concretely on other aspects. The deisgn was identical to the Legend making the Phantom incredibly comfortable. Their sound was just terrific, incredibly balanced and especially linear, I hope more get a chance to give the Phantom a listen in future.

– Bass extension isn’t quite an oddity like the Nerva but lows are tight, neutrally bodied and articulate

– Bass also isn’t enhanced, sounded fairly neutral to me, could be slightly warm in a quieter environment

– Mids are exceptional, very realistic and transparent, high resolution but not artificially clear

– Treble is also strong in performance, linear and extended with nice decay and excellent resolution into the highest registers

– Stage isn’t huge but is very coherent

Effect Audio Horus ($1599 USD)

I’ve been a customer at Effect Audio since the company’s inception and the Horus represents the next step in their product design and proficiency. I’m sure many have heard about it already, but this was my first experience with the cable. And it is certainly a good one, as it should be for the price.

dsc07173.jpg

Product Page here.

– Tried Leonidas first, despite seeming similar in material, the Horus is a different creature entirely

– To my ear, it was on the brighter side but also tight and coherent

– Terrific resolving power but maintains natural body

– Gorgeous build and ergonomics!

Jomo Haka ($599 USD)

dsc07179.jpg

Product Page here.

Jomo are another intriguing company that I’ve never been able to experience. In my eyes, their carbon fibre in-ears are some of the most visually striking on the market, a work of art. However, this time, the focus was on their new Haka, a midrange earphone featuring a single balanced armature custom built for Jomo. The earphone also sport 3D printed housings with a brass horn/nozzle that also serves to heighten visual impact. This is also a tremendous earphone to look at in person.

– Superb fit, small but well-shaped housing

– End to end extension is impressive considering their driver setup but not outstanding in the grand scheme of things

– Sub-bass has a tight impact but rumble is a bit less defined

– Treble has some nice air and sparkle, thins out within the highest registers

– Mid-range is laid back and more intimate, full and warm, not especially transparent

– Balanced to slightly mid-forward overall

HUM Dolores (~$2000 USD)

dsc07182.jpg

HUM have one of the most unique perspectives on in-ear acoustic design, focussing on quality over quantity with their flagship dual driver in-ear, the Dolores. They reason that in-ears and speakers should be treated similarly with reference monitors achieving great coherence and superior imaging through a simpler dual driver setup; and also that more are not always better where accuracy is concerned. HUM also focussed on the cross-over circuitry in an attempt to balance performance with miniaturisation. They managed to cram a full-sized capacitor into each housing that is said to mimic the function of a speaker crossover over a conventional multi-driver in-ear. Of note, though marketed as a dual driver, the bass driver is a double driver so it’s technically a triple driver earphone.

dsc071812.jpg

In addition, the model I demoed was a pre-production unit with no no filter on treble driver. As such, it does not represent the final product in any way, but to my ears, though the signature was skewed very bright, the underlying qualities were there.

– Even as is, still a nice sounding earphone

– Bright sound, mid and high-forward though future revisions will be more balanced

– Bass is super tight and quick

– Clear but bodied mids, will only become more natural when highs are toned down

– Treble is super airy but has nice decay and texture

– Great high-end extension

– Nice stage size

Final Audio

dsc07153.jpg

Final Audio just released a new in-ear that can be tuned by an engineer for the user’s specific taste, similar to Sony’s Just-Ear customs. Unfortunately, I did not have a opportunity to test them out myself, but this might be a model to watch.

dsc07185.jpg

End Words

A huge thank you to everyone at the show for their support! Portafes was a great experience filled with some new and familiar faces. I hope more get an opportunity to experience these models at future shows and I would be very curious to see how they change as they approach their final revisions. Thanks for reading!

Edit: Empire Ears price confirmed

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #6,932 of 39,414

Introduction
I was recently fortunate enough to participate in the 2017 Portable Audio festival in Akihabara. Though my time was limited, I did manage to try a heap of new and interesting earphones and filter down the best to feature in a quick impression post.

dsc07144.jpg

The show itself presented a nice variety of entertainment in addition to basic listening stations and a few small stores.

dsc07145.jpg

The outer display was limited mainly to the larger brands with larger marketing budgets such as Skull Candy, Marshal and Astell & Kern.

dsc07147.jpg

As an audio enthusiast from Australia, it was great to see so much engagement at the show, not just from locals but reviewers and hobbyists from around the world.

dsc07149.jpg

However, the inside of the venue housed all the fun; the bustling crowds charging the air with curious energy as newcomers and veterans lay their wares out for demo.

dsc07151.jpg

Of course, the usual players such as Sennheiser were receiving huge attention with their new ie80S and ie800S though impressions for those models are hardly difficult to come by.

dsc07162.jpg

As such, I pursued the more boutique brands, those that never see recommendation outside of Japan’s domestic market and others that have yet to make an entrance into English discussion.

dsc07158.jpg

I only had a very brief time with the following models and the louder ambient noise hardly made for an ideal critical listening environment, so please take all impressions with a grain of salt!

Hyla CE-5

dsc07160.jpg

Many have expressed interest about Oriolus but I thought it would be more appropriate to introduce an intriguing newcomer. I recently had an opportunity to sit down with Mr. Yu who masterminded Oriolus. He introduced a new direction he’s taking with his designs under a new alias, Hyla (Hira in Japan) which will be joining Oriolus and PW Audio under his supervision. Using his experiences at Oriolus, Yu hopes to further refine his designs with Hyla, which comes off as more experimental and potentially geared more towards an international audience whatever that may entail. At present, Hyla offer two models, the CE-5 which is quite reminiscent of the Oriolus MKII but revised based on feedback for that model in addition to a higher-end model dubbed the Nerva X or LA-1 based upon the Mellianus.

dsc07177.jpg

The CE-5 is the more experimental of the two as its quad-driver setup comprises not only of a hybrid single dynamic + dual BA but an additional piezoelectric tweeter. Other changes include a longer nozzle and retuned sound though it carries a similar RRP to the MKII, hovering around $1k USD. Of note, my tester unit lacked a PW cable instead implementing a more standard CIEM-style unit (Pictured Horus not included!).

– Enhanced clarity

Hyla Nerva-X

dsc07161.jpg

Using the Mellianus as a foundation, the Nerva employs a similar 10BA driver setup and the same design but Yu has implemented sterling silver housings as opposed to plastic and the internal chambers have been redesigned. The unit I tested was also attached to a new copper PW cable that exceeded $2300 IEM in price so unfortunately, I can’t comment on either the Mellianus or the stock Nerva X, but it does look like this model brings some very welcome improvements for the same asking price.

Dunu Falcon C

dsc07155.jpg

Product page here.

The new Falcon C has been teased for quite a while, appearing at various other shows throughout 2017. It’s quite an important model for Dunu, representing their flagship dynamic driver in-ear. It also features a new design, a diaphragm constructed from ultra-rigid carbon nanotubes and liquid metal housings not unlike the dynamic Campfire in-ears. In addition, Dunu include a 6N OCC SPC cable with custom enlarged MMCX connectors that still retain compatibility with standard cables.

dsc07156.jpg

The first thing I noted was the hugely improved ergonomics over past Dunu in-ears, especially the DK-3001. The Falcon-C has a smooth, curved housing that slots nicely into the ear, they also isolate better than previous models. And most importantly, they produced a pleasing sound to my ear; one that was obviously sculpted towards the engaging side, but also a sound that provided technical ability beyond what it’s $219 USD would suggest.

– Great sub-bass kick

– Nice stage

– Great clarity

Accoustune HS1551 CU

dsc07163.jpg

Accoustune have always caught my eye, their earphones have terrific designs that are both unique and well-formed. So it was a delight to finally test their in-ears in person and they are certainly just as impressive to handle as they appear online. The HS15x1 earphones are definitely their most distinct. Both are single dynamics with the same ultra-thin Myrinx membrane. The housings are modular, separating between the mechanical and acoustic chamber to reduce interference and enhance reparability. The chamber has also been outfit with a profile metal rod/damper rod to reduce resonance.

The fit was what surprised me most, they are so unorthodox in their styling but their fit is quite typical. They were far from the most comfortable, isolating or stable in-ear I tested during the show but they aren’t nearly as sharp as they look. They also produced a very interesting sound that isn’t really geared towards realism, I suppose it is a trend we have come to expect from Japanese IEMs. The HS1551 CU notably combines heaps of bass body with supreme air up top. As a result, they aren’t transparent or natural, but they are different and made for a very interesting listen.

– Quite V-shaped

– Brighter mids

– Exceptionally airy

Accoustune HS1501 AL

dsc07164.jpg

The HS1501 AL employs the same driver as the aforementioned model but trades its brass acoustic chambers for an aluminium enclosure. As a result, the earphones sound a little different, a little thinner and less expansive but also less bloated down low.

64Audio Tia Trio

dsc071661.jpg

Product Page here.

Many are familiar with 64Audio but they haven’t had a notable release in a while. The Tia Trio is one of two new models, it employs a triple hybrid driver setup with one of 64Audio’s renowned TIA drivers handling high-frequencies. The Trio also employs an internal M15 APEX module and the rear vented dynamic has its own chamber within the housing. 64Audio have focused heavily on venting and the minimisation of resonances, and it really shows in the end product.

Of note, the Tio utilises a similar design to the Forte over the plastic U-series in-ears and is only available as a universal. The sound is very intriguing with some outstanding qualities offset by a strangely diffuse but immensely spacious stage. They don’t lack coherence per say, but notes weren’t delivered with the sharpness I expected. Of course, these are merely first impressions so take these comments with a grain of salt.

– Great resolution

Empire Ears Legend X

dsc07171.jpg

I also haven’t had a chance to try anything from Empire Ears as they have no distributor in Australia but I probably spent more time at their booth than any other at Portafes. The Legend X was quite a standout for me, even coming directly from the new Tia Trio. The housings were also notably comfortable and well-isolating. However, the sound really stole the show, again, these aren’t a reference earphone, but a very nicely executed V.

– Tastefully V-shaped

– Natural mids

Empire Ears Phantom

That said, it’s the Phantom that people should be getting VERY excited for! This was my favourite earphone from the show and probably the most impressive earphone I’ve ever heard in terms of timbre; though I would need more time to comment so concretely on other aspects. The ergonomics are identical to the Legend making the Phantom incredibly comfortable. Their sound was just terrific, incredibly balanced and especially linear, I hope more get a chance to give the Phantom a listen in future.

– Bass extension isn’t quite an oddity like the Nerva but lows are tight, neutrally bodied and articulate

– Bass also isn’t enhanced, sounded fairly neutral to me, could be slightly warm in a quieter environment

– Mids are exceptional, very realistic and transparent, high resolution but not artificially clear

– Treble is also strong in performance, linear and extended with nice decay and excellent resolution into the highest registers

Effect Audio Horus

I’ve been a customer at Effect Audio since the company’s inception and the Horus represents the next step in their product design and proficiency. I’m sure many have heard about it already, but this was my first experience with the cable. And it is certainly a good one, as it should be for the price.

dsc07173.jpg

Product Page here.

– Tried Leonidas first, despite seeming similar in material, the Horus is a different creature entirely

Jomo Haka

dsc07179.jpg

Product Page here.

Jomo are another intriguing company that I’ve never been able to experience. In my eyes, their carbon fibre in-ears are some of the most visually striking on the market, a work of art. However, this time, the focus was on their new Haka, a midrange earphone featuring a single balanced armature custom built for Jomo. The earphone also sport 3D printed housings with a brass horn/nozzle that also serves to heighten visual impact. This is also a tremendous earphone to look at in person.

– End to end extension is impressive considering their driver setup but not outstanding in the grand scheme of things

– Mid-range is laid back and more intimate, full and warm, not especially transparent

HUM Dolores

dsc07182.jpg

HUM have one of the most unique perspectives on in-ear acoustic design, focussing on quality over quantity with their flagship dual driver in-ear, the Dolores. They reason that in-ears and speakers should be treated similarly with reference monitors achieving great coherence and superior imaging through a simpler dual driver setup; and also that more are not always better where accuracy is concerned. HUM also focussed on the cross-over circuitry in an attempt to balance performance with miniaturisation. They managed to cram a full-sized capacitor into each housing that is said to mimic the function of a speaker crossover over a conventional multi-driver in-ear. Of note, though marketed as a dual driver, the bass driver is a double driver so it’s technically a triple driver earphone.

dsc071812.jpg

In addition, the model I demoed was a pre-production unit with no no filter on treble driver. As such, it does not represent the final product in any way, but to my ears, though the signature was skewed very bright, the underlying qualities were there.

– Bright sound, mid and high-forward though future revisions will be more balanced

– Clear but bodied mids, will only become more natural when highs are toned down

– Nice stage size

Final Audio

dsc07153.jpg

Final Audio just released a new in-ear that can be tuned by an engineer for the user’s specific taste, similar to Sony’s Just-Ear customs. Unfortunately, I did not have a opportunity to test them out myself, but this might be a model to watch.

dsc07185.jpg

End Words

A huge thank you to everyone at the show for their support! Portafes was a great experience filled with some new and familiar faces. I hope more get an opportunity to experience these models at future shows and I would be very curious to see how they change as they approach their final revisions. Thanks for reading!
any photos of the phantom or does it stay a phantom?
Also, pricings for the legend and the phantom please

Dec 16, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #6,933 of 39,414
any photos of the phantom or does it stay a phantom?
Also, pricings for the legend and the phantom please

Sorry, updated with prices. The Phantom looks exactly the same as the Legend X.

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #6,935 of 39,414
Sorry, updated with prices. The Phantom looks exactly the same as the Legend X.
Thank you, any comments on driver setup for the phantom? Although i can only dream of affording the legend

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #6,936 of 39,414
Thank you, any comments on driver setup for the phantom? Although i can only dream of affording the legend

More info on the Phantom will be released soon. All information that Ryan has shared is unfortunately all we’re allowed to say for now. But, regardless of its driver count or tentative price, it is an IEM worth getting very, very excited for. :)

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #6,938 of 39,414
But let's break down the cost of an iem like the Solar for instance, although this applies to all multi-BA iems. The Solar consists of 10 BA drivers on each side, which cost between $20-$30 each. So let's say 20 x $25 = $500.

I don't know where you got your figures from but that's highly inaccurate. More like 6 to 7 for single BAs, 13-15 for duals. Even specific tunings (different impedance etc...) don't run much higher.

Dec 17, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #6,939 of 39,414
Just confirmed, the Legend X is a 7-driver with dual dynamic drivers.

Cannot confirm the Phantom at this point.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #6,941 of 39,414
Introduction

dsc07144.jpg

dsc07145.jpg

dsc07147.jpg

dsc07149.jpg

dsc07151.jpg

dsc07162.jpg

dsc07158.jpg

Hyla CE-5 (~$1000 USD)

dsc07160.jpg

dsc07177.jpg

– Enhanced clarity

Hyla Nerva-X (~$2300 USD)

dsc07161.jpg

Dunu Falcon C ($219 USD)

dsc07155.jpg

Product page here.

dsc07156.jpg

– Great sub-bass kick

– Nice stage

– Great clarity

Accoustune HS1551 CU (~$500 USD)

dsc07163.jpg

– Quite V-shaped

– Brighter mids

– Exceptionally airy

Accoustune HS1501 AL (~$450 USD)

dsc07164.jpg

64Audio Tia Trio ($2300 USD)

dsc071661.jpg

Product Page here.

– Great resolution

Empire Ears Legend X ($2300 USD)

dsc07171.jpg

– Tastefully V-shaped

– Natural mids

Empire Ears Phantom ($1800 USD)

That said, it’s the Phantom that people should be getting VERY excited for! This was my favourite earphone from the show and probably the most impressive earphone I’ve ever heard in terms of timbre; though I would need more time to comment so concretely on other aspects. The deisgn was identical to the Legend making the Phantom incredibly comfortable. Their sound was just terrific, incredibly balanced and especially linear, I hope more get a chance to give the Phantom a listen in future.

Effect Audio Horus ($1599 USD)

dsc07173.jpg

Product Page here.

Jomo Haka ($599 USD)

dsc07179.jpg

Product Page here.

HUM Dolores (~$2000 USD)

dsc07182.jpg

dsc071812.jpg

– Nice stage size

Final Audio

dsc07153.jpg

dsc07185.jpg

End Words

Edit: Empire Ears price confirmed
Great impressions Ryan!

I demoed the Accoustune at the Indulgence Show and I agree, not natural or transparent, but tremendously fun with gobs of bass. I did find that their cable was very stiff and had a little trouble getting a comfortable fit, but think that might have also had to do with not getting the best tips for my ears (should have tried my own).

I'm hoping to find a way to demo the 64 Audio Trio, because they sound really interesting, along with the U12t. Did you get a chance with the U12t?

Jack posted a small correction with regards to the prices of the Legend X and Phantom here. The Phantom is much lower and the Legend X is close. But yeah, the Phantom sound brilliant and I am keeping a very close eye on those! :D

Dec 17, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #6,942 of 39,414
Phantom... Phantom... Phantom... More to come soon... :wink:
222184-163535-phantom_large_7493.jpg

Btw, I was worried for a moment when I read that it was gonna cost $3K (way too much for my wallet) early this morning. Luckily this was corrected and my heartbeat is (almost) back to normal right now :grin:

Dec 17, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #6,943 of 39,414
Great impressions Ryan!

I demoed the Accoustune at the Indulgence Show and I agree, not natural or transparent, but tremendously fun with gobs of bass. I did find that their cable was very stiff and had a little trouble getting a comfortable fit, but think that might have also had to do with not getting the best tips for my ears (should have tried my own).

I'm hoping to find a way to demo the 64 Audio Trio, because they sound really interesting, along with the U12t. Did you get a chance with the U12t?

Jack posted a small correction with regards to the prices of the Legend X and Phantom here. The Phantom is much lower and the Legend X is close. But yeah, the Phantom sound brilliant and I am keeping a very close eye on those! :D

Thanks bud, I've updated the prices and I would love to get some Accoustune IEMs just for photos! I didn't have a chance to try the U12T unfortunately, only the Trio was free when I visited the booth and the show ended right as I finished with the HUM Dolores.

Dec 17, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #6,944 of 39,414
Dec 17, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #6,945 of 39,414
Just confirmed, the Avara AV2 sounds amazing. Exactly what @Deezel177 said in his excellent review. Plus it has a better, clearer vocals, and extended treble than Prelude at 1/4 of its price. Best-value audio purchase I made this year. :) A bit source-dependant though, preferring a more reference, or neutral players.

P_20171217_154405.jpg

A little more impression here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/avara-custom-universal-iem-thread.867295/page-3#post-13919678

Funny you should mention the review, because I just reposted it on Head-Fi! I've also created a product page to collect future AV2 reviews on the site. You're more than welcome to join me. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back