flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 25, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #46 of 39,414
  Yeah but my guess is top 3 would still be pretty easy, and if 50 people or more want to participate it would come down to who posts the right variation of the top 3 first. And it has to be challenging man, it's a $900 iem haha.

your prize your rules 
wink.gif

you can make it top-5 and if no one gets all 5 correctly , you could give it to whoever finds 4 etc

cheers

Nov 25, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #47 of 39,414

your prize your rules 
wink.gif

you can make it top-5 and if no one gets all 5 correctly , you could give it to whoever finds 4 etc

cheers

Yeah I was thinking something similar. Or I can just do top 10 and give it to the one who comes closest. Guess this will still require some thinking 
rolleyes.gif
 If anybody has some experience with raffles or is a qualified logical thinker feel free to jump in.

Nov 25, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #48 of 39,414
Oh guys, I actually meant by the prediction all 15 correct. But I might consider just top 5. Only the first one would be too easy
wink.gif

So hold on with the predictions for now since some important ones are still coming along!

Haha, that makes more logic and that's why I asked: ''only #1?'' before
I thought maybe your intention was to make it an early bird contest, so I gave it a shot in the middle of the night
biggrin.gif

Top 15 (or even 10) correct would be a very hard job I guess. But top 5 with the rules: only one entry before # 15 is reviewed + the first one who gets it totally right gets this (wonderful & expensive) prize, seems very reasonable to me. But like @proedros mentioned: your prize, your rules!

Now, let's wait for the last 4 'mystery' contenders
rolleyes.gif

Nov 25, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #49 of 39,414

Haha, that makes more logic and that's why I asked: ''only #1?'' before
I thought maybe your intention was to make it an early bird contest, so I gave it a shot in the middle of the night
biggrin.gif

Top 15 (or even 10) correct would be a very hard job I guess. But top 5 with the rules: only one entry + the first one who gets it totally right gets this (wonderful & expensive) price seems very reasonable imo. But like @proedros mentioned: your price, your rules!

Now, let's wait for the last 4 'mystery' contenders
rolleyes.gif

Yes thanks after your post I realised it was unclear. My intention was the opposite, everybody needs to wait haha. Top 15 will prob be impossible, let's stick with top 5 for now.

Later at work I'll try to get the empty chart out so everyone can see the scoring.

For two iems I will need to wait 3-4 weeks unfortunately before I can announce them. One of them is confirmed and I think I'll announce it tonight. For the last one I have some contact with a company but nothing concrete yet, I hope to arrange something within 1-2 weeks.

Nov 25, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #50 of 39,414
Or, maybe make it where participants need to guess the top 3.  

Gather a list of the participants who guess correctly, assign them each a number, and use a RNG to pick the winner.

Nov 25, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #51 of 39,414
Oh, and regarding alternative titles (which you requested earlier), what about these?

- Shootout time: an in-ear odyssey

- The Dark Side of the Ear: a 15x IEM shootout
beerchug.gif

Nov 25, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #53 of 39,414
Any chance for the W500 to make the list too? Seems like it's rather endgame material in bass and would be a good comparison to its competitor the Samba.
That is one of the worst iems and Im a basshead.

Nov 25, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #55 of 39,414
  Any chance for the W500 to make the list too? Seems like it's rather endgame material in bass and would be a good comparison to its competitor the Samba.

Hi Crinacle, I had the W500 AHMorph a while back, but I was not a fan and sold it later. So that will be a no unfortunately.

But they are two very different sounding monitors, the Samba has a more reference signature; cleaner, higher resolving, with leaner notes. The W500 has a more forward signature with laidback treble and thicker notes, and a good deal more bass impact.

But this is always the best reply! Love that movie.

Nov 25, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #56 of 39,414
Nov 25, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #57 of 39,414
Originally Posted by flinkenick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Crinacle, I had the W500 AHMorph a while back, but I was not a fan and sold it later. So that will be a no unfortunately.

But they are two very different sounding monitors, the Samba has a more reference signature; cleaner, higher resolving, with leaner notes. The W500 has a more forward signature with laidback treble and thicker notes, and a good deal more bass impact.

Yeah our impressions seem to line up. I've auditioned the Samba and was very impressed with it; it was one of (if not the) most resolving CIEMs I've heard to date. The detail that gets blasted in your face is almost a little intense.

Out of your shootout, seems like the only ones that I haven't heard before was the Earsonics (not really interested) and the Warbler (very interested, but sadly no demo units nearby). if we're going by technicalities alone I'm willing to bet that the Deca, NT6-Pro and Samba would come out on top, though it'll be fun to see what else you got behind the curtains of this shootout.

Also loved the Lear BD4.2 too. Shame it's not going to be included (I assume), I'm a real sucker for the hybrid sound :p

Nov 25, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #59 of 39,414

Out of your shootout, seems like the only ones that I haven't heard before was the Earsonics (not really interested) and the Warbler (very interested, but sadly no demo units nearby). if we're going by technicalities alone I'm willing to bet that the Deca, NT6-Pro and Samba would come out on top, though it'll be fun to see what else you got behind the curtains of this shootout.

Also loved the Lear BD4.2 too. Shame it's not going to be included (I assume), I'm a real sucker for the hybrid sound :p

Well if you've heard the Samba, the EarSonics S-EM9 is overall actually pretty close in every aspect with more bass impact. It has a bit more of a 'fun' tuning. The Warbler is something different altogether, but it's not been released yet. It's a pity there are no hybrids right now, one of them might be though I'm not sure yet.

Care to elaborate? At least let's have a good discussion going.

Alright guys, but keep it respectful :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back