flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Sep 17, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #4,636 of 39,414
Hold on $1600? The price like a used w900?
Oh...you're back already. Now, that was a quick rebirth :wink:

Yeah, $1600 seems to be the price, but it looks like it doesn't come with a cable.
Don't know how it will hold up to the W900, but @SeeSax really seems to like it :ksc75smile:

Sep 17, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #4,637 of 39,414
Sep 17, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #4,638 of 39,414
I'm thinking about to get a iem with fast deep and enough bass, some treble sparkle and air as well, with enough sound stage to separate instruments. So that I can use it for both jazz fusion and metal.

Get the LCD i4. You'll get them all with i4 :)

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #4,640 of 39,414
Sep 17, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #4,643 of 39,414
Yep, but not an issue for me unless I'm on a plane with the roar of jet engines
How are they with sound leakage? I'd imagine you can't use them in a typical office environment without annoying everyone.

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #4,645 of 39,414
Sep 17, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #4,647 of 39,414
This is afterall a thread where mostly ciems are reviewed

Sorry I don't want to have a debate on this. The poster clearly said IEM, and he didn't specify isolation as his main criteria, hence my recommendation. This thread's title is also IEM shootout, and Nic also reviewed IEMs not only CIEMs.

How are they with sound leakage? I'd imagine you can't use them in a typical office environment without annoying everyone.

Sound leakage to surrounding environment is minimal, people would need to get really close to the ears to hear the leakage unless you're in a dead silent environment when there's no sound at all.

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #4,648 of 39,414
Sound leakage to surrounding environment is minimal, people would need to get really close to the ears to hear the leakage unless you're in a dead silent environment when there's no sound at all.

Really? I find that surprising. Not saying I don't believe you, just surprising, given that they are open-back, and even sealed IEMs can leak enough sound for others to hear. I've heard extremely positive things about them sound-wise, but the fact that they don't really isolate (I listen mostly on my commute to and from work on the train) and I wouldn't be able to listen to them in the office always put them out of consideration. Guess I'll have to audition them.

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #4,649 of 39,414
Really? I find that surprising. Not saying I don't believe you, just surprising, given that they are open-back, and even sealed IEMs can leak enough sound for others to hear. I've heard extremely positive things about them sound-wise, but the fact that they don't really isolate (I listen mostly on my commute to and from work on the train) and I wouldn't be able to listen to them in the office always put them out of consideration. Guess I'll have to audition them.

Yes I think it's best if you can audition them. To be honest, it was also my biggest worry initially. IMHO, the issue is more towards how ambient sound leakage will affect sound quality (especially the low frequencies) and I found out that unless I'm on a plane, the degradation in sound quality is also minimal (note that I haven't used them on trains, only in public spaces such as malls and cafes).

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #4,650 of 39,414

Sounds like insanely dangerous listening volumes. To be honest, that's usually what I fear most with (semi-)open IEMs; compensating for a lack of isolation with harmful levels of SPL. And, as @normie610, in most cases you have to get pretty loud to hear dat bass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back