flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 21, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #3,676 of 39,414
What were you used to listening to before the Layla? This matters a bit as your impressions depends on iems you were used to in terms of it's stage presentation. Because I've owned the Layla in the past, and I wasn't particularly moved by it's spaciousness as I've owned the NT6 prior to that. This is all by memory though, but I can't recall what was so impressive about it(I don't recall particular attributes that really stood out for me).

I'm recalling purely by memory as well, it sounded really natural and organic, the separation and stage were what got me the hardest, it felt like listening to headphones.

Prior to the Layla auditions, I was pretty much listening to the Fidue A83, TF10 and UE900.

Aug 21, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #3,679 of 39,414
Sitting by the pool with my laptop most of the time. It took me a day to write the treble section, but at least the view is nice :grimacing:

Yep...nothing wrong with that view at all:ok_hand:

As you probably brought all your (c)iems with you and with a pool like that, any chance that we can look forward to a new category in your post #2 chart, called: 'underwater subbass'?

Aug 21, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #3,680 of 39,414
Yep...nothing wrong with that view at all:ok_hand:

As you probably brought all your (c)iems with you and with a pool like that, any chance that we can look forward to a new category in your post #2 chart, called: 'underwater subbass'?

It only gets a score of 90+ if a bass drop results in this:

giphy.gif

Aug 21, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #3,681 of 39,414
time to read again the Zeus XIV review , as i break in my newly arrived Zeus XR :gs1000smile:

they had to arrive on the week that Jedi Nic reviewed them

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #3,682 of 39,414
time to read again the Zeus XIV review , as i break in my newly arrived Zeus XR :gs1000smile:

they had to arrive on the week that Jedi Nic reviewed them
Nice => congrats on your new Zeus XR!

Looking forward to your impressions later on. Also how you will like them compared to your beloved NT6 :thinking::thinking:

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #3,683 of 39,414
Yes but how is it different?
To me, Fourte had a brighter top end, and leaner midrange compared to A18. It has a linear relationship between sub- and mid-bass, resulting in a tighter bass, with a slower, more natural decay. A18 has more mid-bass impact, and a generally more forward sound. Its stage also seemed a bit wider, although Fourte's is more evenly proportioned as well as airier, resulting in a more holographic image with cleaner separation. Fourte has a more unique sound, due to its quicker pace and high resolution; more of an ethereal feel, that sounds special. However, due to the A18's more powerful bass and greater midrange body, it might equally be considered more engaging.

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #3,684 of 39,414
I do stand by what I said about the resolution, detail, and separation. These things are very close to the HD800.

Something to note: The HD800 has a sort of dry, analytical sound. tia Fourté does not. It is wet, and oh so musical. They both share the same grand, slightly laid-back, effortless quality.

This!! What makes the tia so special is that it's essentially a musical HD800 which to me is pretty much the perfect sound signature.

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #3,685 of 39,414
To me, Fourte had a brighter top end, and leaner midrange compared to A18. It has a linear relationship between sub- and mid-bass, resulting in a tighter bass, with a slower, more natural decay. A18 has more mid-bass impact, and a generally more forward sound. Its stage also seemed a bit wider, although Fourte's is more evenly proportioned as well as airier, resulting in a more holographic image with cleaner separation. Fourte has a more unique sound, due to its quicker pace and high resolution; more of an ethereal feel, that sounds special. However, due to the A18's more powerful bass and greater midrange body, it might equally be considered more engaging.
Is tia more resolving than the A18?

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #3,686 of 39,414
Is tia more resolving than the A18?

By simply referring to the Fourte as the tia could be really confusing and misleading for those who aren't in the know as the A18 also bears 1 Tia (tubeless in-ear audio) driver .

Pardon me but it's these lazy posts that lends credence to those forums that claims we are mostly misleading others who might be new to this hobby of ours .

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #3,687 of 39,414
Is
The 64 Audio tia Fourté™, the first of its name, Unsung, Khaleesar, King of the Andals and the First Men, Breaker of tubes, possessor of 4 drivers and of the tia hybrid system and First in line to the Imperial Throne(after SE5U)
more resolving than the A18?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #3,688 of 39,414
Is
The 64 Audio tia Fourté™, the first of its name, Unsung, Khaleesar, King of the Andals and the First Men, Breaker of tubes, possessor of 4 drivers and of the tia hybrid system and First in line to the Imperial Throne(after SE5U)
more resolving than the A18?
Well keep in mind I only heard Fourte twice for about 10 mins or so at a busy show. But it seemed like Fourte was a bit quicker, and more highly resolved.

As a sidenote, I think there might also be some mixed impressions on the forum because the prototypes seemed to be tuned very differently. From impressions I'm getting the feeling Fourte initially had a more organic, natural tuning, but was later converted to a more analytical signature.

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #3,689 of 39,414
As a sidenote, I think there might also be some mixed impressions on the forum because the prototypes seemed to be tuned very differently. From impressions I'm getting the feeling Fourte initially had a more organic, natural tuning, but was later converted to a more analytical signature.

I think I heard a proto I suppose. What I heard was this organic, extremely musical and natural piece and I don't recall them being anywhere as Treble heavy as people are saying.

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #3,690 of 39,414
Well keep in mind I only heard Fourte twice for about 10 mins or so at a busy show. But it seemed like Fourte was a bit quicker, and more highly resolved.

This is very true. Both the U18 and Fourte units I heard at CanJam SG sound nothing like the demo units now available at MS. The Fourte used to be, as you said, more organic, natural, bloomy, and rich. The demo unit at MS resembles the U18 much more, which IMO is a shame, but is still different enough for me to prefer it.

The U18 prototype sounded terribly boring, as I mentioned in my CanJam write-up; severely lacking lower-midrange body, closed-in and muffled upper-mids, incoherence across the board, and just plain unappealing in general.

Funnily enough, though, this unit is still available to try at Jaben Indonesia. So, if anyone's curious to try a U18 that, to me, sounds horrendous, so much so that I prefer the U8 more by a country mile, then you still have a chance :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back