flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 22, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #3,706 of 39,414
To me, Fourte had a brighter top end, and leaner midrange compared to A18. It has a linear relationship between sub- and mid-bass, resulting in a tighter bass, with a slower, more natural decay. A18 has more mid-bass impact, and a generally more forward sound. Its stage also seemed a bit wider, although Fourte's is more evenly proportioned as well as airier, resulting in a more holographic image with cleaner separation. Fourte has a more unique sound, due to its quicker pace and high resolution; more of an ethereal feel, that sounds special. However, due to the A18's more powerful bass and greater midrange body, it might equally be considered more engaging.

This description make me want to love the Fourte, with the ethereal trebles, which is how people describe my favorite headphones, the Stax 009.
But every time I listen to them the bass is bothering me, I find them muffled compared to my reference, the Dita Dream. I think the U18 to have too fast of a bass decay, but the Fourte is too slow.
I like the U18, but compared to the Dream, I do not find them different enough for my taste to justify owning both.
I will have to hope for a demo of the Fourte where I can remove the cable I try it balanced out of the 1Z.

Alternatively, I could just give up and be happy with what I have,..., but we all know that never lasts long.

Aug 22, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #3,707 of 39,414
This description make me want to love the Fourte, with the ethereal trebles, which is how people describe my favorite headphones, the Stax 009.
But every time I listen to them the bass is bothering me, I find them muffled compared to my reference, the Dita Dream. I think the U18 to have too fast of a bass decay, but the Fourte is too slow.
I like the U18, but compared to the Dream, I do not find them different enough for my taste to justify owning both.
I will have to hope for a demo of the Fourte where I can remove the cable I try it balanced out of the 1Z.

Alternatively, I could just give up and be happy with what I have,..., but we all know that never lasts long.
Be happy with what you have? Such blasphemy, this is Head-Fi!

The A18 and Dream share some similarities, but I think they are still more different than similar.

Aug 22, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #3,708 of 39,414
Yes this is Head-Fi, we spend absurd amount in audio to piss our wife's off.... least can tell here is still cheaper then our Rolex right?

Aug 22, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #3,709 of 39,414
Nick.... now u just temp me to get a Spiral ears!

Aug 22, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #3,710 of 39,414
Nick.... now u just temp me to get a Spiral ears!
Fellow Nick, the 5-Way comes with a unique signature of its own, and it won't necessarily be one to everyone's pleasing - more to follow soon.

I have completed the final draft, just needs editing later on. My girlfriend is insisting we go to the beach :D Almost there.

51.png

Aug 22, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #3,711 of 39,414
Aug 22, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #3,712 of 39,414
Fellow Nick, the 5-Way comes with a unique signature of its own, and it won't necessarily be one to everyone's pleasing - more to follow soon.

I have completed the final draft, just needs editing later on. My girlfriend is insisting we go to the beach :D Almost there.

Quick quick, we all know pissing a women off dont go well

Aug 22, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #3,713 of 39,414
go to the beach @flinkenick - and if you can make a detour in Athens on your way out let me know , i would love to meet the Legend in the flesh :gs1000smile:

Aug 22, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #3,715 of 39,414
I think the important thing for people to remember is that the top 1-3 are all TOTL with regard to technical ability, owning both Zeus XR and A18, I can see why someone would chose A18 over Zeus or Vice Versa. At this level pat more attention to which IEMs play nice with your preferred genre's of music.

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #3,716 of 39,414
Yes, that's important if certain types of genre get's the most listening time.

Been doing comparsions with various earphones and sources lately, what I come to realization is high quality recordings are obsolutely necessary in assessing transparency, resolution, etc..

I have some fun music in the popular genre I try as well. It's very necessary to try various types of track(female vocals, male vocals in the low end, instrumentals, rock, classical, electronic, etc). Why? Because the characteristics of the earphone in the way it performs for one type of track can be very good, but not for another.

With this said, high quality recordings do scale up with better gear, and for this reason, they are great references to get an idea on the technical performance of the earphone. High quality recordings generally do sound the best on majority of gear, I did run into an earphone that it sounded worse(major outlier from the bunch).

In another instance, there was one that had the highest polarity in how well it sounds with high or avg quality recordings.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #3,717 of 39,414
Yes, that's important if certain types of genre get's the most listening time.

Been doing comparsions with various earphones and sources lately, what I come to realization is high quality recordings are obsolutely necessary in assessing transparency, resolution, etc..

I have some fun music in the popular genre I try as well. It's very necessary to try various types of track(female vocals, male vocals in the low end, instrumentals, rock, classical, electronic, etc). Why? Because the characteristics of the earphone in the way it performs for one type of track can be very good, but not for another.

With this said, high quality recordings do scale up with better gear, and for this reason, they are great references to get an idea on the technical performance of the earphone. High quality recordings generally do sound the best on majority of gear, I did run into an earphone that it sounded worse(major outlier from the bunch).

In another instance, there was one that had the highest polarity in how well it sounds with high or avg quality recordings.
My issue is a lot of High End recordings are boring to me. Yeah I hear the quality but a lot of it is slow paced music. Reminds me of a couple of friends who are into visual, movies, and they dont watch for the plot or the acting. They watch for the quality of the visuals and if there are no mistakes. Mistakes like an actor has a suit and tie and then it shows the same scene but he has the suit but now he doesnt have a tie. Seems many in audio are not that into the music but more on how its recorded.

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #3,718 of 39,414
That's right, I'm mainly impressed by quality of recording. Technical performance is what some of highly value. Like for example black levels on televisions, the gamut, but that's not all, the quality of the content. If technical performance valued, it would be a bit wasteful to not try to output as much performance as possible.

But also, emotional aspects are so important when it comes to enjoyability. The style, the artistic attributes, personal tastes, et..

So, quality is good for assessing gear, but may not be tracks that fit one's enjoyment at an emotional level. The headphones characteristics can be a culprit of reducing enjoyment as well. It can sound too analytical, harsh, fituging, etc. It is about what is most valued. Listening to music or technical performance because technical performance can take me away from the music and we maybe end up more awe in technicalities.

It's great when fun music sounds fun. That is the emotional experience.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back