RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
Feb 18, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #166 of 1,184
Can you compare the rai to the Khan more?
Khan is clearly one level higher in all the technical aspects than RAI Penta. Khan's sound signature is neutral and quite revealing, although Khan has good tolerance on poorly recorded tracks. RAI Penta's sound signature is rich and fuller sound with slightly recessed treble without compromising the resolution much. RAI is certainly warm sounding but not dark at all.
As I said above, RAI can't match Khan's wide staging, revealing resolution, and excellent imaging and timber. However, I enjoy RAI for its relaxing laid back presentation with seducing mid range, which is perfect for Diana Krall and Melody Gardot kind of vocal tracks.
The bass of Khan may occasionally feel a bit lacking in quantity. But it's tight and accurate and extends very well to sub bass level. Khan's bass quality is excellent to my eats. Bass on RAI is more in quantity but a little loose, which contributes to its warm and relaxing signature.
Both of my Khan and RAI Penta are still under burning in period. So please take my impression as a grain of salt. YMMV.

Feb 18, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #168 of 1,184
I would be surprised if it was otherwise, since Rai is two times cheaper :) Thanks for another impression. Have you tried the N5005 by any chance?
I used to own N5005. But I sold them a while ago. They were good, and I understand that many people love them. But they were a bit too bright for me even with Bass Boost filter.

Feb 18, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #169 of 1,184
I used to own N5005. But I sold them a while ago. They were good, and I understand that many people love them. But they were a bit too bright for me even with Bass Boost filter.
Bright is not a word that comes to mind with my N5005 lol.

Feb 18, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #171 of 1,184
Ahh, nice! How would you rate them against Rai/Solaris?
To my ears, N5005 has V-shaped signature. If you like Fostex TH900, you will love N5005. Solaris has more flat/neutral signature, and all the frequency has good energy. RAI Penta has more relaxed rich and fuller signature that gives you laid back presentation.
As for the fit and comfort, RAI > N5005 >> Solaris. Solaris did not fit well to my ears. It was too big and protruding out. I liked Solaris sound but the fit was a deal breaker for me.

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #172 of 1,184
My thoughts match yours. I did try out our theory of sleeping on the side with them -- works great! (Just make sure you have a semi-soft pillow on those planes :wink: I have not yet tested a Bluetooth cable with them, but running them off of my usual on-the-go device, a Bluewave Get, works great as well.

I agree that the Solaris is better, if (like me) one likes brightness and sparkle. Slightly better separation, slightly wider soundstage, just a tiny bit more of everything... but the Rai Penta is SO CLOSE, that with the added benefit of smaller size and a discounted price on the demo unit it came out on top for me, by a wide margin. Like @NovaFlyer, would I buy the Solaris? Sure. Would I buy the Penta? I did.

Oh, one more thing regarding the sound: another post here (sorry, can't find it right now) mentioned that the bass was slow. I don't find that to be the case. I often deal with not-particularly-great recordings of fast bass drums or bass guitar runs and I find the Rai Pentas to be better than most at separating these. In fact, let me just say that these are great headphones for heavy metal.

Now, on the subject of comparing them to my CIEMs... I was very hesitant to even buy these. "Once you go custom, you never go back," I thought. And I don't actually know yet how these will fit into my daily usage. I will try them for a few days on subways and commutes, on flights and at home. I think it matters a lot to what you're used to, what you personally find comfortable, and what your intended use looks like. I did already realize that no matter how comfortable they felt -- after a few hours I noticed them in my ear, whereas even after 8 hours constant use on a plane, my ears are still loving my JH Audio customs. So it may become an issue, it may end up making them better suited for shorter engagements for me. I don't know yet.

And I may end up not getting to keep them at all because my girlfriend, who until yesterday seemed very content with her Campfire Lyra IIs, has already shown interest in these... so... y'know...

Looking forward to your longterm impressions from travel.

Something to consider is to use your JH CIEMs during your awake time on flights, and then switch to the RAI Penta with foam tips for sleeping.

You should get your GF the Solaris, and then that way you can use the RAI Penta and occasionally the Solaris - the best of both worlds! :ksc75smile:

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #174 of 1,184
Any new impressions/comparisons would be appreciated :)
Wondering when will it be available worldwide.

Yeah wondering as well... I wished a bit of communication was done...

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #175 of 1,184
Yeah wondering as well... I wished a bit of communication was done...
I've contacted the authorized retailer of Meze Audio in my country, and they said they have already pre-ordered Rai Penta and it MAY be available in the middle of March. However, it seems they're uncertain about it, since it really depends on the production rate. Would be nice to get any update directly from Meze team.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #177 of 1,184
Very mild impressions on headfonia's sp1000m review I believe on the last page. He had great things to say about its sound. They'll be doing a review of the rai penta it's just a matter of time
Good one, thanks.
Btw, Rai Penta is already available for ordering worldwide on Meze official store.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #178 of 1,184
Does anyone of you friendly folks here on this thread have experience with the various MMCX Bluetooth cables that are currently on the market? If so, what’s the current consensus or recommendation? (Trying to avoid ending up with a drawer full of unused $60 cables, obviously...)

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #179 of 1,184
Does anyone of you friendly folks here on this thread have experience with the various MMCX Bluetooth cables that are currently on the market? If so, what’s the current consensus or recommendation? (Trying to avoid ending up with a drawer full of unused $60 cables, obviously...)

I’d recommend a short cable + earstudio ES100 over any of the common MMCX Bluetooth cables (Shure, Westone, Mee Audio).

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #180 of 1,184
I use the ES100 with my K10s and can fully recommend it as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back